Gay Marriage | New Jersey

Watch: Chris Christie: 'I Am Not A Fan Of Same-Sex Marriage'

Chris
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was on Meet The Press this is how he responded when host David Gregory turned the conversation to marriage equality:

"I am not a fan of same-sex marriage. It’s not something that I support. I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman. That's my view and that'll be the view of our state because I wouldn't sign a bill like the one that was in New York."

Watch his appearance, AFTER THE JUMP. The bit about marriage comes in at 13:03.

Comments

1. Well, that's not the view of the state as a whole. He might not sign it, but 1) the NJ Supreme Court may require it in 2012 or 2013, and 2) at this point Christie would not be re-elected in 2013; his approval is about 43% now.

Posted by: Chris Gable | Jun 26, 2011 9:23:45 PM

2. The part that really pisses me off is when he got angry when he was questioned about sending his kids to private school. He said it is nobody's business, It doesn't hurt anyone else and it's a personal matter between him and his family.

Can someone please ask him why he views gay marriage differently? It seems to me that those same principles should apply.

Posted by: J.P. | Jun 26, 2011 9:28:10 PM

3. Christie is completely lacking in any humility. He's also reminds me of every bully I ever known - pushy, arrogant, ignorant and proud of all three. Marriage Equality will come to NJ too.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 26, 2011 9:30:44 PM

4. I am not a fan of this Chris Christie.

Posted by: Tony | Jun 26, 2011 9:35:49 PM

5. I'm sure he also isn't a fan of the Packers, but I'll bet he respects their right to exist.

Posted by: JT | Jun 26, 2011 9:39:55 PM

6. Chris Christie not a fan of anything he can't he eat.

Posted by: Thom | Jun 26, 2011 9:42:23 PM

7. The man is a pig. Physically and mentally, a PIG.

Posted by: Chuck Walker | Jun 26, 2011 9:44:41 PM

8. Doesn’t matter what you think, CC. You were elected to represent the desires of your constituents.

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 26, 2011 9:51:11 PM

9. Another politician who's forgotten what a representative form of government is.

Apparently whatever his opinion is shall rule: "That's my view and that'll be the view of our state." Wonder if he can spell f-e-u-d-a-l-i-s-m.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Jun 26, 2011 9:54:23 PM

10. WHO CARES WHAT THIS USELESS TUB OF LARD THINKS?!!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 26, 2011 10:03:00 PM

11. He may not be a fan of same-sex marriage but he's obviously a fan of all you can eat pancakes.

Posted by: crayrool | Jun 26, 2011 10:07:11 PM

12. CHRIS CHRISTIE IS VERY, VERY FAT! His risk for heart attack or stroke is probably very, very high! He's obviously not as smart as he thinks he is.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 26, 2011 10:21:14 PM

13. Uh... NJ civil unions do not come burdened by the "religious exemptions" stuck onto SSM in NY. That makes them, in some cases, better than marriage.

This hostility to duly-entered-into marriages from his neighboring state when his own state is REQUIRED to view those marriages as legitimate civil unions strikes me as coming pretty close to an impeachable offense.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 26, 2011 10:21:23 PM

14. I am not a resident of NJ and know very little about CC. How bad was his Democratic opponent that this glutton got elected in the first place? I mean this guy is not just fat, he's morbidly obese. How could anyone justify voting for him to control a state when clearly he has zero self control?

Posted by: MikeB | Jun 26, 2011 10:25:34 PM

15. another tea party a--hole. are all tea party
    members bigoted hate spewing rich and white . they want to take everybody's rights and stomp on them. i hope goproud and lcr see how much the repuks really them. the repuks want to roll back dadt and marriage equality. have to roll back the repuks.

Posted by: walter | Jun 26, 2011 10:27:17 PM

16. I don't understand what he means by "That's my view and that'll be the view of our state because I wouldn't sign a bill like the one that was in New York."

Wtf is he smoking? It's not like her owns the state of NJ. LOL

Posted by: MonsieurV | Jun 26, 2011 10:45:26 PM

17. Can some of you please find another way to criticize him other than calling him fat? That is shallow and offensive.

Posted by: J.P. | Jun 26, 2011 10:45:26 PM

18. He's angling for national recognition, despite being very moderate overall (pro-abortion at one point). He also knows that the NJ SC will dutifully take this matter out of the hands of pols in the next few years (they do all the controversial stuff in NJ). So, easy for him to say.

Posted by: anon | Jun 26, 2011 10:47:50 PM

19. My goodness, Another example of raging homophobia in the African American Community!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jun 26, 2011 10:55:18 PM

20. Interesting how he doesn't try to make an actual argument. He just asserts his position imperiously. I actually think he is doing a lot of the right things that need doing in NJ but on gay marriage, Christie won't have the last word.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 26, 2011 10:57:02 PM

21. Don't you love it when a politician [falsely] states he has the power to force his views on everyone?

Posted by: Garst | Jun 26, 2011 11:00:09 PM

22. What an arrogant political pig.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 26, 2011 11:14:12 PM

23. That's fine. We'll just have to get your self-righteous @ss voted out of there.

Posted by: loki7329 | Jun 26, 2011 11:28:15 PM

24. the Republican establishment pushed gay marriage through in NY...Christie is on the wrong side of the (R) establishment and will eventually eat these words too.

Posted by: chris | Jun 26, 2011 11:46:30 PM

25. Like I've said many times before, the hateful ones are always the ugliest ones, inside and out.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 27, 2011 12:15:13 AM