Anthony Weiner | New York | News

Rep. Anthony Weiner Admits Lewd Photo Was His, Apologizes for Lying, Says He Won't Resign

Presser_weiner

Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY) admitted this afternoon that he sent a lewd photo to a woman on Twitter and then lied about it after getting caught. Weiner said that he had intended to send the photo as a private message but lied to the public after being caught:

"I panicked, I took it down and said that I had been hacked."

Weiner also admitted that he had similar relationships with six other women over a number of years. Earlier today, conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart published a number of other revealing photos.

Weiner said he would not be resigning. Nancy Pelosi has called for an ethics investigation....

Watch the first part of his press conference, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Power makes people idiots.

Posted by: A B | Jun 6, 2011 6:02:11 PM

2. Better headline:
    Weiner Pics Meant for Six Chicks

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Jun 6, 2011 6:02:17 PM

3. I thought he was smarter than that. I mean both the action and the earlier denial.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jun 6, 2011 6:08:28 PM

4. Effin' idiot.

Posted by: DerekWashington | Jun 6, 2011 6:11:25 PM

5. Well Mr. Toe-tapper-republican refused to resign after his little incident, and Weiner's didn't even violate any laws or ordinances.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 6, 2011 6:19:57 PM

6. We share the same preference for horizontal fly Jockey pouch boxer briefs.

Posted by: Mr. Jockey | Jun 6, 2011 6:20:17 PM

7. You just know there are more revealing images that will surface

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Jun 6, 2011 6:20:49 PM

8. Effin' idiot, indeed. He is a public servant, not a private citizen (not that anyone ought to be this careless). He has disappointed us. We have a right to feel disappointed. If an argument against the likes of Palin includes the belief that we ought to expect more from our leaders with regard to integrity, intelligence, and character, it's a standard those who we support ought to uphold as well.

Posted by: TJ | Jun 6, 2011 6:23:04 PM

9. enough already.... (1) the guy did not break any laws apparently and (2) the guy is no hypocrite; he's no "family values" guy.

soooo, this, in my book, is an error in judgement, but in his private life. not enough to have him resign.

there are many, many, many more important problems than this, seriously.

i just hope no law was broken.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Jun 6, 2011 6:23:51 PM

10. Sex makes men stupid. We all know that. He's not the first guy to be ruled by his penis.

But he didn't do anything illegal -- and he did most of it while single and none of it in person -- so this was nothing compared to David Vitter or Larry Craig. And it's not only nowhere near a John Edwards, it doesn't even remotely approach a Bill Clinton. And we know he's never going to do it again, so that's the end of that.

Posted by: justme | Jun 6, 2011 6:27:59 PM

11. DAFTPUNKY etc

No LAW says he was lying.

This is CRAZY. Capitol letters!, lol!

Ps how were they lewd?like Newt and what he did to his wife?

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 6, 2011 6:31:15 PM

12. He's a dick (too easy)...and was thinking with his other head (also...tooooo easy) Im very disapointed in him. He seems much smarter than the behavior he has shown. Do I think he should resign...I dont know...he didnt do anything wrong as far as the law or his job, but it leaves his judgement in serious question.
    The only thing i wont listen too is any political pandering...as NEITHER side has a clean record on this...though, as has been pointed out, the Dems dont pontificate about "morals and values"...probably because, like all politicians...they dont seem to possess any.

Posted by: JT | Jun 6, 2011 6:36:16 PM

13. Well Andrew Breitart finally got one right.

He's STILL a scumbag!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 6, 2011 6:47:58 PM

14. Surprised and disappointed.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 6, 2011 6:52:54 PM

15. he lied. to the media, to his constituency, to his wife. Clearly he's been busy but instead of worrying about jobs, he's been worried about blow jobs.

So maybe he didn't break any laws, but he violated our trust, didn't focus on his job and disappointed all those who believed in him. What a colossal waste. For wasting all that good will, he should step down. The republican he runs against will surely have a field day and we'll lose another seat if he doesn't.

Posted by: dms | Jun 6, 2011 7:03:33 PM

16. I have done similarly dumb things I don't deserve to lose my job or be executed for. This guy's the perfect representative for me. Besides, he gave a great presentation at the National Correspondent's dinner.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 6, 2011 7:13:00 PM

17. No way should he resign. As others have said, sex and power make men dumb. BIG SURPRISE.

With what we know now, he'd be doing us a huge disservice to step down. Hell, Palin stepped down so she could rake in a bunch of money. Weiner sent some pictures and texts of a fairly tame nature. Who cares?

He just needs to continue doing his job. Recall that Barney Frank's partner was nearly running a gay brothel from Frank's residence, with Frank's knowledge, and Frank has managed to do pretty well. And that was the "filthy" gay stuff, 20 years ago. Who cares if he cheated on his wife, for real or just for fantasy? Half the GOP guys so livid at the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal were later shown to be adulterers themselves.

Abuse of power comes as no surprise. And unless I hear otherwise, he didn't abuse his power.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 6, 2011 7:42:17 PM

18. I for the life of me can't understand why people care about his private sex life. He is good at his job and isn't a family values holy roller hypocrite. I feel like the gays in particular should allow him his privacy.

Posted by: bicurious | Jun 6, 2011 7:44:10 PM

19. @ DMS: How do you know he lied to his wife?

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jun 6, 2011 7:47:36 PM

20. I don't care about his sex life, just whether he is too stupid for the job. Doing this deed was halfway to too stupid, forgetting that it's always the cover-up, almost never the crime was way past the other half of TOO STUPID to serve in office.

I like Weiner, I really do. (The man, btw - no gay jokes meant). But the lack of judgment displayed in the childish sex tweets and overwhelmingly in lying about it when getting caught was obviously just a matter of moments in today's world simply astounds me and leaves me with little faith in the man's abilities in any field of complex work.

But, I no longer live in New York and he's not my representative. I'm so disappointed, though.

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 6, 2011 8:14:12 PM

21. This is what republicans DONT do. When one of theirs gets busted they DONT all decry his actions, they act like it didnt matter. Thats why they get further ahead, by not attacking their own. Hes got a nice cock, he was in an arranged marriage, he didnt run on a family values platform and I dont care who he shows it to.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 6, 2011 8:14:54 PM

22. Democrat or Republican,gay or straight, SEX is the great equalizer!

Posted by: gb | Jun 6, 2011 8:19:39 PM

23. "So maybe he didn't break any laws, but he violated our trust, didn't focus on his job and disappointed all those who believed in him."

Not sure why he violated "our trust." He never promised me he wouldn't send out body pics of himself via the Internet. And he never promised me he wouldn't lie about it. And, as has been proven throughout history, many men are quite capable of focusing on their jobs while indulging in various sexual antics.

Like many politicians who think with their "weiners", his biggest flaw was being foolish enough to believe he wouldn't get caught, that in today's political climate private shenanigans will remain so. A liberal with his name, loathed by many a right-wing scumbag, should have known better! I hope he's learned his lesson and that he won't cave in to the pressure to resign because he did something embarrassing that shouldn't be any of our business.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 6, 2011 8:27:05 PM

24. Loser!

Posted by: RB | Jun 6, 2011 8:41:08 PM

25. "he lied. to the media, to his constituency, to his wife. Clearly he's been busy but instead of worrying about jobs, he's been worried about blow jobs."

He was ambushed in the hope that he would be forced to lie. He lied to the media because he was ambushed. He lied to his constituency only via his lying to the media because he was ambushed. If he lied to his wife, there's nothing to indicate she hasn't forgiven him. None of the rest of us have anything to either forgive or condemn him for, since he wasn't flirting with us online and we're not married to him.

Nice try in attempting a sound bite with the blow jobs thing, except for the tiny little detail that he was never involved in blow jobs. In other words, in saying that blow jobs were involved, you just lied. And, according to you, you now can't be trusted.

This is the second place today I've seen your posts, so I guess you've been busy, too, worrying about blow jobs that Anthony Weiner never got.

Since nobody can trust you since you're a liar, I have to ask -- what's up with that?

Posted by: justme | Jun 6, 2011 8:48:15 PM