France | Gay Marriage | Transgender

Women Defy Same-Sex Marriage Ban In France, Wed

France
It may not be legal for same-sex couples to marry in France but two women found a way around the law in that country when they successfully exchanged vows in the city of Eastern city of Nancy yesterday. How did they pull it off? One of the women was born a man and has recently completed sex reassignment surgery.

AFP reports:

Stephanie Nicot, 59, wed 27-year-old partner Elise in a town hall ceremony in Nancy in eastern France in what is said to be the first marriage of its kind in the country. Stephanie, formerly Stephane, had sex reassignment surgery to become a woman but has refused to lodge documents, as required by French law, to also have her gender changed on the population register. "It's a symbol for millions of gays and lesbians who would like to have the same rights," Nicot said of her marriage. "It's the first marriage in France of its kind," Nancy's deputy mayor Laurent Henart told AFP. The newly-weds later joined around 2,000 members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community for a march in the city.

Watch post-nuptial footage of the newly married couple (video is in French), AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Yes!

Posted by: Billy | Jun 5, 2011 9:35:49 AM

2. I love it! You go, "girls"!

Posted by: Robert | Jun 5, 2011 9:58:40 AM

3. Stephan is not a woman. She's still a he, so this does not qualify as a lesbian couple. Good gesture on their part, though. And the age difference iof 32 years??! OMG.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 5, 2011 10:06:21 AM

4. Nice try, but he is still officially a man, so it is a heterosexual marriage. ho hum.

Posted by: MacroT | Jun 5, 2011 10:21:54 AM

5. My partner and I have 25 yrs between us, going on 15 yrs together.
    Congrats to them!

Posted by: Dawn | Jun 5, 2011 10:25:17 AM

6. Since Stephanie identifies as female, it's indeed a same sex marriage. Paperwork be damned.

Posted by: John | Jun 5, 2011 10:39:15 AM

7. how exciting for them! :D

Posted by: Lucas | Jun 5, 2011 10:45:52 AM

8. John -

If we're going to be pedantic, Stephanie is male, regardless of how she identifies. Sex is a biological reality, not an emotional/social one. This is certainly a same-gender marriage, but not same-sex.

Posted by: Tommy | Jun 5, 2011 11:13:16 AM

9. I had wondered what Calista Flockhart was up to...

Posted by: antena | Jun 5, 2011 11:55:22 AM

10. Congrats to the happy couple!

btw- predicting that the transphobic "she's a guy!" comments will start in t-minus 3...2...1...

Posted by: Wirrrn | Jun 5, 2011 12:46:24 PM

11. It's only a "heterosexual marriage" if they identify as heterosexuals. It seems fairly clear that they aren't presenting themselves as a man-woman couple, which points out the absurdity of marriage laws that discriminate on the basis of sex or gender.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 5, 2011 1:00:27 PM

12. You're late wirrrn the LG(bt) community is quicker to bash than you think.

Posted by: Esurnir | Jun 5, 2011 1:44:01 PM

13. Love is blind

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2011 3:00:59 PM

14. @Ratbastard: There are many *strikingly* beautiful transgender people. That having been said, yes, Ratbastard, you made a funny. It reminds us to view people as individuals regarding gender status AND race…(ahem).

Posted by: Phil | Jun 5, 2011 3:43:46 PM

15. Looks like Sir Elton with a new rug.

Posted by: Grady | Jun 5, 2011 4:30:20 PM

16. "Stephan is not a woman. She's still a he, so this does not qualify as a lesbian couple. Good gesture on their part"

What a load of transphobic fail.

Posted by: missanthrope | Jun 5, 2011 4:35:56 PM

17. @Phil,

Thank you, I'm well aware there are 'striking' transgendered men and women. I see some pretty much every day where I live. If I could have managed it, I would have snapped a pic with my phone of the 6'-6" [easily] 'striking' transgendered 'chick' who brushed past everyone in 'her' path in a huff, at the Haymarket subway station [Orange Line level] in Boston Friday evening. 'She' gave the tourists,commuters, and folks going to watch the Boston-Vancouver hockey game something to tell the grandkids.

And I hate to bring it up, but 'she' was black. Seriously, 100% true story, Doesn't matter what 'her' skin color is, of course, but I'm always amused some people who post on here think I'm a raging racist, which I'm not at all. I'm just comfortable discussing race related issues [maybe because I've spent my whole life in 'diverse' environments?] where-as many are not.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2011 4:59:06 PM

18. Sigh. Because it isn't truly a thread into Miss Ratbastard injects her daily dose of colour arousal.

Do you dream about black men Rattie? You truly must because your commentary invariably becomes about race. You're very predictable.

Such is life for the undereducated, underskilled, middle aged white gay "Hi May I Help You" crowd.

Posted by: Dalton | Jun 6, 2011 2:22:38 AM