Art and Design | Comic Books

BigGayDeal.com

Dark Starry Knight: Batman And Van Gogh Make A Great Tattoo Team

Batman_starrynight

Tattoos are hot. They're even hotter when they involve superheroes.

So, when are superhero tattoos hottest? When they merge Batman perched above Gotham City with Vincent Van Gogh's famous 'The Starry Night' painting from 1889, as in the image above.

If I met this man, I would melt faster than Clayface on a hot day.

Comments

1. an unmarred body is even more beautiful.

and frankly, batman just ruins van gogh

sorry

Posted by: r | Jul 3, 2011 4:42:03 AM

2. I could never get one because I know that my main interests 10 years ago are utterly different than those today. Take 20 years, I'm even more different. Would only consider them to cover scars from accidents attained doing other stupid things. No desire to live in the past, for good or bad.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 3, 2011 6:25:07 AM

3. The worst part about this fad is that most receivers of tattoos are in their early twenties (and usually after drinking), not the best time in life to make decisions about a semi-permanent piece of "art" on your body.

Sure, it's about free will and saying something about yourself to yourself. But seriously, what does Batman say about someone... Infantile paralysis?

Show me a tattoo that I'll like. I have yet to see one.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 3, 2011 7:11:23 AM

4. wow so many people against tats, like one person mentioned before your skins going to be sagging when you get old anyways but at least I'll have a few interesting stories to go with it. And as for a "fad" Tattoos have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, if you don't like them don't get one and saying you'd never date a guy with one, well guess what a guy with ink wouldn't date some self-righteous prick so don't worry about it.

Posted by: Akula | Jul 3, 2011 9:15:05 AM

5. I can't stand when people with several thousand dollars of tattoo work complain they are broke.

Posted by: qjersey | Jul 3, 2011 9:28:17 AM

6. Tattoos are a win-win for everyone involved. For those that only understand them as trends and the source of future regret, time won't be wasted dating those with them.

For those who love and understand tattoos, it saves time and effort on those with that attitude - as their attitude likely spills over to what art, music, fashion and expression they find "cool" and "acceptable."

And to those saying they'll look bad when you're 80-years-old. Um, hate to tell you this, but no one will feel any differently about your body - with or without ink.

Posted by: Tonic | Jul 3, 2011 9:52:10 AM

7. I have no idea what shirt or trousers I will want to wear tomorrow, so can't imagine wanting to be inked.
    I also find it interesting that when I ask people about their tattoo they inevitably tell me something along the lines of "it's a personal thing". Well if it's so personal why do they insist on wearing sleeveless shirts in the dead of winter to show it off?

Posted by: Oliver | Jul 3, 2011 10:03:57 AM

8. Geez, don't be so touchy!
    Ok, so maybe "cool" wasn't the best adjective. My point was that in the late 80s-early 90s, tats were kind of interesting and still "fringe". Then they became swallowed by pop culture and everybody and their grandma started getting them. Now they just look kind of trashy to me.
    But the worst is people who have all kinds of pretentious reasons for having them rather than "I like it", which I can understand.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 3, 2011 10:17:21 AM

9. I personally agree that some people get tattoos for the wrong reason -- ie, those insipid "tribal bands" -- but I do believe that if people have a reason for having a tattoo -- I have a tree on my wrist, in memory of my father and as a tribute to my living relatives -- that is their business and should be celebrated.

Posted by: Andrew Belonsky | Jul 3, 2011 10:22:57 AM

10. Is it just me or is this blog starting to have that creepy Queerty, before it folded vibe. Yes Ms Belonsky I’m looking at you and this trashy tattoo “story”.

Posted by: RogerDoger | Jul 3, 2011 12:03:00 PM

11. Cute body, meh tattoo. More importantly, that is just temporary body art that will wash off-- really, that is not a traditional permanent tattoo folks. Look more closely. The yellow starry bits especially are in no way tattoos.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jul 3, 2011 12:42:06 PM

12. Now i just need to get this tattooed on my chest and this guy and I will be soul mates.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 3, 2011 1:39:02 PM

13. Just don't understand why hot guys ruin their bodies with these things. I guess it is another form of insecurity, trying to hide behind something they think is cool. Kind of like cigarette smoking used to be cool. Look how that turned out.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 3, 2011 3:33:27 PM

14. there are many who love and understand tattoos, including me. i find that most people, notwithstanding the reputation for tribal bands, etc., get tattoos that have personal meaning. like others have said, if you find tattoos to be so uncool, gross, or passe, chances are guys with ink don't want you either, so stop bitching about it. i encourage belonsky and towleroad generally to continue celebrating artful, attractive, or meaningful tattoos like this one.

Posted by: al | Jul 3, 2011 4:12:40 PM

15. To all those complaining: it's just not about you.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 4, 2011 1:32:03 AM

16. "i find that most people, notwithstanding the reputation for tribal bands, etc., get tattoos that have personal meaning"

Yeah, right, because Batman is such a deeply psychological and meaningful symbol. For who? It's a comic figure, for chrissakes! This is my problem with most tattoos, most are idiotic looking, extremely badly done and use the worst possible imagery to put forth and justify the wearer's supposed "deep meaning".

I find that most ink wearers have absolutely zero good reason for getting a tat and always defend it their ink a very self-deluded, insecure manner.

Want to do something with yourself to show deep meaning? Write a song, or a book or create a piece of art or go out and help the homeless or something else that will actually help SOMEONE ELSE instead of inking up your body in a totally self-absorbed, self-obsessed, show-off, ex-con way.

All this talk about "deep meaning" is just a bad attempt to make something that was ordered up during a beer-binge be "personal" because the wearer is embarrassed to admit he has no real reason why he got it in the first place other than following a fad.

I have many over-50 friends with tattoos and all but one are VERY sorry they got them and wish they could afford to remove them. Just wait, youngsters with ink, you will soon feel the same way. ;-)

Posted by: johnny | Jul 4, 2011 12:41:02 PM

17. We understand that many of you despise tattoos, men that shave their bodies, and other petty complaints like that. Please keep them to yourselves and let those of us who do admire those things admire them in peace. Thank you.

Posted by: ravewulf | Jul 4, 2011 2:38:19 PM

18. @Johnny

There are so many things wrong with your post, it's hard to even begin. That you can't imagine enough meaning a tat can have demonstrates, not a lack of meaning for those with them, but the limits of what you can understand. Do you have telepathy? Can you read minds? It's ridiculous that you think you can decide an individual's motivation or decision-making process. If someone wants to get a tat, that's absolutely reason enough.

You think tats are the only way those sporting them show meaning and creativity? I paint, do graphic design and in the midst of writing my second novel. If anything, I find those with tats are MORE likely to be creative.

Help someone else instead of getting ink? What? Exactly who are you to tell anyone to do that? When one gets a tattoo we sign a contract saying we'll no longer do any charity work, so it's no longer an option!

And I have many older friends who don't regret their ink. Maybe they aren't the ones with Tweety Bird or tattoos of Janet Jackson. However, If they were and they were happy with them - more power to them.

Posted by: Tonic | Jul 5, 2011 9:22:30 AM

19. Sorry, I've been editing for too long this morning.

My second sentence should read: "Your inability to imagine the meaning a tat can have demonstrates, not a lack of meaning for those posessing them, but the limits of what you can understand."

Posted by: Tonic | Jul 5, 2011 10:16:52 AM

20. Actually, tattoos are just trashy, not "hot." But I have to admit that is a cool design. And sexy chest.
    JoeBlow got it 100% right.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 5, 2011 11:19:44 AM

21. I'd love to know who the artist is. I have a (bad) sun tattoo on my back that I'd like to have transformed into a Van Gogh sunflower. Oh, and I live in Portland, if anyone has a recommendation. Thanks for any info!

Posted by: Trilogyfan | Aug 2, 2011 4:10:25 PM

22. Hi, the article is so wonderful, I am interested in it. I will pay attention to your articles.

Posted by: china wholesale | Feb 2, 2012 8:24:45 PM

23. I like your blog style,thanks a lot for presenting this great article..

Posted by: Web hosting forums | Mar 29, 2012 3:22:11 AM