Discrimination | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

DeSean Jackson Apologizes For Gay Slur

DeSeanJackson Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson issued an apology Saturday for using gay slurs during a radio interview late last month.

"In a recent radio interview a caller got really confrontational with me. I got very heated with the caller, took it a bit too far and did not mean to offend anybody. I meant no disrespect and a better choice of words was needed," said Jackson, who had referred to the aforementioned caller as "gay ass" and "faggot."

The footballer also took to Twitter to express his regret, "I am sorry for using words that I know to be hurtful and unacceptable in a recent radio interview. Intolerance is unacceptable and I apologize to anyone I have offended."

"I have made a mistake and would like to make it clear that words I used meant no disrespect to the Gay and Lesbian community," he said.

Jackson is the second sports star to issue an apology this weekend for insensitive language: White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham also offered his contrition for using "gay" as a pejorative.

Comments

1. Is that the Good Christian Seal of Approval below his eye?

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 10, 2011 11:02:10 AM

2. Before you all start slamming this next apology in line, consider the wisdom of letting these guys stick their foot in their mouths and then have to acknowledge what they said was offensive. After all, straight black guys have been saying "faggot" like it was water for so long, it probably is news to them that they have to begin washing their mouths out with soap!

Posted by: Jack | Jul 10, 2011 11:10:44 AM

3. I think any staright person who follows football, and uses words like faggot, and gay ass, will just think that he made the apology to save his job and not believe the apology is real or that it is wrong to use those terms.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 10, 2011 11:18:52 AM

4. What do you expect from people who routinely refer to themselves as pimps, bitches, and 'ho's. Faggot isn't a stretch.

Check out Rick Ross's video for a refresher:www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9TouRnO84

Always good to see crack cocaine, prostitutes, and thug life idolized. And then they wonder why they end up in the slammer.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 10, 2011 11:20:11 AM

5. As I posted over at Outsports, Jackson still needs to be fined, which as someone suggested should be doubled for every incident ’til they get it through their bony heads that such outbursts offend and alienate a significant customer base. I don’t care what they think, as long as they keep it to themselves.

Posted by: fenwayguy | Jul 10, 2011 11:25:46 AM

6. I'm getting real tired of these guys making a statement like this:

These statements make no sense at all. OF COURSE he meant disrespect. That's EXACTLY what he meant. He was trying to express his disrespect for the caller who pissed him off. And, the first way he thought of to show his lack of respect for the caller was to call the caller gay. Of course this means he doesn't respect gays. There is no other way to interpret it.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jul 10, 2011 11:30:16 AM

7. Jackson's statement was clearly written by his publicist, he couldn't write a statement like that if a gun was pointed to his head. I heard the original interview and it wasn't that heated. He meant was he said for sure!

These a-holes only apologize because their handlers tell them they have to in an effort to head off a huge fine like others have been imposed with, that's the only reason.

These homophobes let their true feelings flow when things get "heated". When I get into an argument or disagreement with someone I have never let a derogatory term "slip" out by mistake. I don't buy these lame excuses from people that let offensive language "slip" out. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 10, 2011 11:32:52 AM

8. And the Gay racism continues....Because Caucasians have never been and never will be homphobic....right?

I guess what Ken Mehlman has done is only light stuff compared to someone calling someone a faggot. Folks become outraged at a black person saying faggot. But a white rich CLOSETED guy worked for a party who never cared for our community and worked to make sure 41 states will NEVER have Gay marriage which ruined thousands of lives and everybody is so DEVASTATED at DeSean Jasckson? Well there you have it!

SMH!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jul 10, 2011 11:56:20 AM

9. You people are disgusting. If he were a hot, white athlete you clowns would be bending over backwards to accept his apology and move on. He made a slur in the heat of an argument, he recognized his mistake and apologized for it. The end.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 10, 2011 11:56:34 AM

10. Thank you Jay... But some of them are just like Teabaggers and Aryans. The only difference is they're Gay!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jul 10, 2011 11:58:19 AM

11. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. This is so effing *boring*, it's a script by a hack Hollywood D-lister: athlete or other person in public eye makes stupid comment using "fag" or something > gays react > press release goes out saying "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" > maybe that person will do some sensitivity traiZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It's all as rote and without feeling or meaning as an infomercial.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jul 10, 2011 11:58:56 AM

12. What I meant to say was, "I'm so sorry that I'm such a numbskull, that I used my usual homophobic language while on an open mic."

Whew... now that that's clear.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jul 10, 2011 12:04:54 PM

13. @CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB

Wow, overreact much! Who ever said there where no white homophobes! No one, that's who! There are stories and comments left here all the time about white homophobes. Get the chip off your shoulder, cub. It's not attractive.

Posted by: Lamar | Jul 10, 2011 12:09:42 PM

14. He meant it, the apology was probably arranged for him by his publicist, and there are way too many racists among the LGBT community.

Posted by: Bruno | Jul 10, 2011 12:13:30 PM

15. Why do some gays combat offensive homophobic slurs made by blacks with offensive racist and stereotypical remarks?

AllBeefPatty: Pot meet Kettle

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 10, 2011 12:16:31 PM

16. Chris,

"Thank you Jay... But some of them are just like Teabaggers and Aryans. The only difference is they're Gay!"

You just revealed yourself to be no better than the people you're condemning. You're making huge unfounded generalizations. You're pathetic.

Posted by: Taylor | Jul 10, 2011 12:18:59 PM

17. Exactly, Lamar. We go after any homophobic idiots on here. Jay and Chris Dachocolatebearcub are woefully misinformed if they are unaware of the criticism that has been leveled at Ken Mehlman, Maggie Gallagher, and dozens of other white homophobes (including athletes) on this blog. It's racist to accuse people of being racist just because they criticize a black person for being a hater. Are they so insecure that they can't admit that blacks can be bigots too? Playing the victim is a full time job for some. It's a shame.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jul 10, 2011 12:35:13 PM

18. It doesn't matter much if he meant it or not. He apologized. The message that using homophobic language is NOT OK is now once again, all over the news. Don't forget, these guys grew up using these words all the time and now they have to try not to say them anymore. Do you know the word "gyped" comes from the word "gypsy". So if you use the phrase "I got gyped." you have just used a racial slur. Try taking that out of your vocabulary and be told you can't say it anymore. Let's all have a little patience.

Posted by: NYpsyguy | Jul 10, 2011 12:38:53 PM

19. Who cares? I got his intent which was that the callers sentence was stupid and juvenile--what kind of person even uses phrases like that?

Posted by: Harold | Jul 10, 2011 12:56:13 PM

20. Harold - you are part of the problem. What if someone equated being black with stupidity, then called someone a n1gger because they did something stupid. In your view, would that be ok because they only meant the person was stupid?

Posted by: What! | Jul 10, 2011 1:09:02 PM

21. Apology not accepted N**ger!

Posted by: Marc | Jul 10, 2011 1:24:24 PM

22. Marc's sentiment seems to be quite common here...crude but accurate. Why do gays even bother asking for apologies in the first place? Talk about always playing the victim...

Posted by: Jay | Jul 10, 2011 2:01:22 PM

23. Here's the thing about the racist comment's, it is certainly true that white homophobes, and white homophobic althlete's are called out in the comments section all the time, but when they are there are usually never any comments stating how homophobic white people are, or using derogatory comments about white people. However, anytime it is an african-american making homophobic comments there are ALWAYS numerous comments derogatory toward african-americans in general. Most of the comments have nothing to do with the story posted, but are just derogatory comments about african-americans.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 10, 2011 2:04:07 PM

24. Wow...it sure doesn't look like DeDouche is going to catch a break.

Maybe that "gay ass" ink he has all over his body has effected his brain.

Probably shaves his chest and balls too.

This is why the NFL has turned into the National Fool League. If I want to watch better football, I will go down to my local prison and view it through the electric fence. Just as many felons on the field as there are in the yard.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 10, 2011 2:04:24 PM

25. Education, education, education. Until these people in the public eye realize that they are using these words pejoratively, and understand why they do that, why it's wrong, and how to fix it, simple apologies just aren't acceptable.

Posted by: Devin Gray | Jul 10, 2011 2:11:00 PM