DeSean Jackson Apologizes For Gay Slur

DeSeanJackson Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson issued an apology Saturday for using gay slurs during a radio interview late last month.

"In a recent radio interview a caller got really confrontational with me. I got very heated with the caller, took it a bit too far and did not mean to offend anybody. I meant no disrespect and a better choice of words was needed," said Jackson, who had referred to the aforementioned caller as "gay ass" and "faggot."

The footballer also took to Twitter to express his regret, "I am sorry for using words that I know to be hurtful and unacceptable in a recent radio interview. Intolerance is unacceptable and I apologize to anyone I have offended."

"I have made a mistake and would like to make it clear that words I used meant no disrespect to the Gay and Lesbian community," he said.

Jackson is the second sports star to issue an apology this weekend for insensitive language: White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham also offered his contrition for using "gay" as a pejorative.

Comments

1. Jack says

Before you all start slamming this next apology in line, consider the wisdom of letting these guys stick their foot in their mouths and then have to acknowledge what they said was offensive. After all, straight black guys have been saying “faggot” like it was water for so long, it probably is news to them that they have to begin washing their mouths out with soap!

2. The Iron Orchard says

I think any staright person who follows football, and uses words like faggot, and gay ass, will just think that he made the apology to save his job and not believe the apology is real or that it is wrong to use those terms.

3. AllBeefPatty says

What do you expect from people who routinely refer to themselves as pimps, bitches, and ‘ho’s. Faggot isn’t a stretch.

Check out Rick Ross’s video for a refresher:www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9TouRnO84

Always good to see crack cocaine, prostitutes, and thug life idolized. And then they wonder why they end up in the slammer.

4. Tim NC says

I’m getting real tired of these guys making a statement like this:

“I have made a mistake and would like to make it clear that words I used meant no disrespect to the Gay and Lesbian community,” he said.

These statements make no sense at all. OF COURSE he meant disrespect. That’s EXACTLY what he meant. He was trying to express his disrespect for the caller who pissed him off. And, the first way he thought of to show his lack of respect for the caller was to call the caller gay. Of course this means he doesn’t respect gays. There is no other way to interpret it.

5. Sean says

Jackson’s statement was clearly written by his publicist, he couldn’t write a statement like that if a gun was pointed to his head. I heard the original interview and it wasn’t that heated. He meant was he said for sure!

These a-holes only apologize because their handlers tell them they have to in an effort to head off a huge fine like others have been imposed with, that’s the only reason.

These homophobes let their true feelings flow when things get “heated”. When I get into an argument or disagreement with someone I have never let a derogatory term “slip” out by mistake. I don’t buy these lame excuses from people that let offensive language “slip” out. I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this way.

6. says

And the Gay racism continues….Because Caucasians have never been and never will be homphobic….right?

I guess what Ken Mehlman has done is only light stuff compared to someone calling someone a faggot. Folks become outraged at a black person saying faggot. But a white rich CLOSETED guy worked for a party who never cared for our community and worked to make sure 41 states will NEVER have Gay marriage which ruined thousands of lives and everybody is so DEVASTATED at DeSean Jasckson? Well there you have it!

SMH!

7. Jay says

You people are disgusting. If he were a hot, white athlete you clowns would be bending over backwards to accept his apology and move on. He made a slur in the heat of an argument, he recognized his mistake and apologized for it. The end.

8. Henry Holland says

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. This is so effing *boring*, it’s a script by a hack Hollywood D-lister: athlete or other person in public eye makes stupid comment using “fag” or something > gays react > press release goes out saying “I’m sorry if I offended anyone” > maybe that person will do some sensitivity traiZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It’s all as rote and without feeling or meaning as an infomercial.

9. Pete n SFO says

What I meant to say was, “I’m so sorry that I’m such a numbskull, that I used my usual homophobic language while on an open mic.”

Whew… now that that’s clear.

10. Lamar says

@CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB

Wow, overreact much! Who ever said there where no white homophobes! No one, that’s who! There are stories and comments left here all the time about white homophobes. Get the chip off your shoulder, cub. It’s not attractive.

11. Brian in Texas says

Why do some gays combat offensive homophobic slurs made by blacks with offensive racist and stereotypical remarks?

AllBeefPatty: Pot meet Kettle

12. Taylor says

Chris,

“Thank you Jay… But some of them are just like Teabaggers and Aryans. The only difference is they’re Gay!”

You just revealed yourself to be no better than the people you’re condemning. You’re making huge unfounded generalizations. You’re pathetic.

13. StillmarriedinCA says

Exactly, Lamar. We go after any homophobic idiots on here. Jay and Chris Dachocolatebearcub are woefully misinformed if they are unaware of the criticism that has been leveled at Ken Mehlman, Maggie Gallagher, and dozens of other white homophobes (including athletes) on this blog. It’s racist to accuse people of being racist just because they criticize a black person for being a hater. Are they so insecure that they can’t admit that blacks can be bigots too? Playing the victim is a full time job for some. It’s a shame.

14. NYpsyguy says

It doesn’t matter much if he meant it or not. He apologized. The message that using homophobic language is NOT OK is now once again, all over the news. Don’t forget, these guys grew up using these words all the time and now they have to try not to say them anymore. Do you know the word “gyped” comes from the word “gypsy”. So if you use the phrase “I got gyped.” you have just used a racial slur. Try taking that out of your vocabulary and be told you can’t say it anymore. Let’s all have a little patience.

15. What! says

Harold – you are part of the problem. What if someone equated being black with stupidity, then called someone a n1gger because they did something stupid. In your view, would that be ok because they only meant the person was stupid?

16. Jay says

Marc’s sentiment seems to be quite common here…crude but accurate. Why do gays even bother asking for apologies in the first place? Talk about always playing the victim…

17. The Iron Orchard says

18. AllBeefPatty says

Wow…it sure doesn’t look like DeDouche is going to catch a break.

Maybe that “gay ass” ink he has all over his body has effected his brain.

Probably shaves his chest and balls too.

This is why the NFL has turned into the National Fool League. If I want to watch better football, I will go down to my local prison and view it through the electric fence. Just as many felons on the field as there are in the yard.

19. Devin Gray says

Education, education, education. Until these people in the public eye realize that they are using these words pejoratively, and understand why they do that, why it’s wrong, and how to fix it, simple apologies just aren’t acceptable.

20. Francis says

These guys and a lot of their follower using “gay” as a slur don’t seem to realize why exactly what they do is disrespectful to gay people. Homophobia has been so ingrained in their psyches that it’s basically crystallized in their brains.

Putting aside the obvious RACISM from some posters, skin color is irrelevant, this is a mentality issue, and the mentality is that bad=gay and gay=bad. That is why it is so important to call out people who make this connection, to make it known that we won’t stand for it, that we won’t be disrespected, and why it’s unacceptable to use gay slurs. The more we take a stand and the less these athletes are allowed to get away with in terms of homophobia, whether intentional, causal or subconscious, the more we will create change.

People don’t want to be known as homophobic. That’s how you know we’re really starting to see change. People don’t want their names tarnished, it’s actually socially unacceptable, and we have the media on our side now. Now more than ever we need to take advantage of the gains we have made and see to it that we continue to make more.

21. AllBeefPatty says

“People don’t want to be known as homophobic.”

Really? Last time I checked the Catholic/Mormon churches didn’t seem to mind. As does most the current GOP line-up.

Where have you been Francis?

Furthermore people like DeDouche think it’s a badge of honor so he can impress peeps. High fives, fist bumps, and Henessey all around.

22. Randy says

While these apologies are a welcome change, I’d rather not have these “mistakes” made in the first place. If I make a “mistake” like this representing my work, I’m fired.

23. Francis says

True, Randy. But what does need to be remembered is that gay slurs, until basically 2010, were accepted as common place language and totally OK to use. What’s going on now are people are basically being given the 411, hey, it’s not acceptable to use gay slurs and use gay as a pejorative. It’s going to take a while for the message to seep in, especially when it comes to athletics. But, things are changing and that’s what is most important.

Now, education is needed so there is a clear explanation of why these athletes are being condemned and why it’s wrong to use anti-gay terminology, so we can start to see an ending of these slurs.

AllBeefPatty, DeSean Jackson originally defended himself on his twitter page. But, knowing the outrage was stern against his language, he essentially got forced into an apology. That’s really what happened here. The condemnation of his actions created an apology. If he didn’t care about being labeled a homophobe, he wouldn’t have apologized.

Even the religious leaders, they don’t want to be known as homophobes and they take “offense” to it, saying that label is an attack on them and their beliefs. They make excuses on why they’re not bigots, they’re self-righteous. Would any of that be true if they didn’t care if they were labeled homophobic? No.

It’s actually seen as wrong to be anti-gay now, instead of something that just is, or something acceptable. That’s the greatest change we as a community have seen in our benefit.

24. AllBeefPatty says

“If he didn’t care about being labeled a homophobe, he wouldn’t have apologized.”

I am not one to give this type of individual the benefit of doubt. It is similar to Christians pontificating their love for everyone in public yet spending their entire lives denigrating and marginalizing their opposition.

Actions speak louder than words.

Furthermore if that apology was any more canned it would have come with a free opener.

25. Status quo says

I see that Towleroad is now censoring and deleting certain posts while leaving other questionable offensive posts. Nice job TR, way to lower the bar with selective censorship. I thought you were above that, I guess not!

26. says

To Lamar and STILLMARRIEDINCA

UMMM Please read what The Iron Orchard wrote. There is no more to be said! Actually I’ll repeat him.

QUOTE:Here’s the thing about the racist comment’s, it is certainly true that white homophobes, and white homophobic althlete’s are called out in the comments section all the time, but when they are there are usually never any comments stating how homophobic white people are, or using derogatory comments about white people. However, anytime it is an african-american making homophobic comments there are ALWAYS numerous comments derogatory toward african-americans in general. Most of the comments have nothing to do with the story posted, but are just derogatory comments about african-americans.”

The end…own that since you choose to defend the racist queens on here!

27. AllBeefPatty says

Why are white people called white and blacks called afro-americans? Why not amero-africans.

Seems racist, if you ask me.

From now on I demand to be called a gay-austrio-danish-americano.

Now if I could only find some loudmouth religious type to routinely denigrate the news media who insist on calling me white.

28. Gregv says

@Chris Dachocolatebearcub:
    There are not “always numerous” racist comments. Sometimes there are zero comments that have anything to do with race when baseless accusations of racism get trotted out.
    Other times there is one troll or two (who could be the same person) who posts one nasty sentence that may be three or four words long, and often it is a screen name that does not regularly appear in the comments section.
    I never lose sight of the fact that this is the Internet, and any given troll
    could just as easily be a straight homophobe, the likes of Maggie Gallagher or Anne Coulter, who might love posting a stupid sentence under a screenname like “Golferboy” and then rub her hands with glee as she watches the accusations of racism (assumed, with no proof, to come from white gay males).
    I have encountered racism in my life against myself and I have stood up against it when it was directed at others. But I have never encountered extreme racism in “REAL” life (among people with identifiable faces and names) which ever even one time emanated from any of the thousands of gay people I have known.
    In fact, usually the racist and the homophobe and the sexist is the same person.
    This experience adds to my suspicion that some of the ugly commenters may well have nothing to do with gay people in real life.

29. says

Greg I understand what you are saying. But I trukly refuse to believe these folks are foriegners if you will coming here to say these things. These are the same old queens might be changing their names….But the same old queens.

Oh and to the David Duke idiot……Shut up no one is bitter but your parents who chose to create you!

30. wimsy says

I’m sure David Duke ‘apologizes to anyone he has offended,” just like the ignorant uppity buffoon who ran his ugly homophobic mouth in the first place. Oops, guess I owe an apology to anyone, etc. etc.

31. Michael says

If these LIARS did not mean what they say or did not have anything against the gay community.Then they would not say anything to begin with. All of these people have foot in mouth disease and think the gay community are gullible enough to actually believe them.

Perfect comment above me says it all: actions speak louder then words.Won’t believe these people until they prove it period.

32. Timmay says

Does mean I can blurt out the N-word and then appoligige the next day and all if forgiven? I doubt any of these black atheletes would be so forgiving!