Health | Medicine | News | STDs

Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Alarms Experts: VIDEO

A new strain of gonorrhea is resistant to all antibiotics, ABC News reports:

Gonorrhea Since the 1940s, the sexually transmitted disease known as "the clap" has been easily treated with antibiotics. But the new strain of Neisseria gonorrhoeae has genetically mutated to evade cephalosporins -- the only antibiotics still effective against the infection.

"This is both an alarming and a predictable discovery," lead researcher Magnus Unemo, professor at the Swedish Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria in Örebro, Sweden, said in a statement. "Since antibiotics became the standard treatment for gonorrhea in the 1940s, this bacterium has shown a remarkable capacity to develop resistance mechanisms to all drugs introduced to control it."

Watch a report on the 'super' strain along with guidelines, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Someone might want to inform the creationists about this latest advance in evolution....

Posted by: Tre | Jul 11, 2011 4:35:55 PM

2. and 1,000 condoms won't protect you from gonorrhea if you kiss the guy

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jul 11, 2011 4:36:53 PM

3. As horrible as this is for men, it's even more dangerous for women.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 11, 2011 5:08:28 PM

4. yeek yepp

I once got the clap from a BJ (ironically the best sucking my cock has ever received) and when getting treated the doctor talked about how straight women get it in the back of their throats from BJs and end up thinking they just have a sore throat and end up sterile due to not getting the proper treatment

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jul 11, 2011 5:37:28 PM

5. We will have to –sooner than latter- find other ways to fight those scourges other than the increasingly ineffective antibiotics. Other ways that not involve strengthening again the same disease it is suppose to fight. The “world” of STD is always creepy. How sad that our cures couldn’t and didn’t take into account the laws of evolution –understandably taking what they had at hand- and thus making super strains never seen in human history. With almost 7 billion humans as living labs, there is room for nature to create our worst nightmares. Luckily we at least know what is happening, in the old times everything was the gods’ wrath.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jul 11, 2011 6:09:55 PM

6. A serious problem indeed, but, as a clinical microbiologist, I take offense to the notion that "men who have sex with men" are at higher risk. The CDC has their terminology wrong. They should be stating that "people who have unprotected sexual contact without prophylactics with multiple partners" are at higher risk of contracting a STD. It's simple logic. How long are we going to allow this form of passive aggressive LGBT bullying by a branch of the Federal Government?

Posted by: Curtis | Jul 11, 2011 7:09:04 PM

7. The term Men who have sex with men (MSM) is due to the fact that there are men out there who do on identify as being gay, yet they have sex with men (be they pre-op transexual, crossdresser, transvestite, or men) and is a clearer term for them.

I think we need to sometimes take a step back and realise that there are people out there who may do 'gay' things but do not have a gay sexual identity.

What I love about comments on blogs is there will obviously be someone who will post a critical analysis of what I have just said, will say that I am not a doctor and have no idea what I am talking about, someone else will say I am enabling the straight establishment/internalising my own homophobia or something else just as constructive.

But I have a friend who researches in this field and we have had a discussion about sexual identity which is how I learnt about it.

Signing off and never returning to this article to read the flames which will inevitably come!

Posted by: Damien | Jul 11, 2011 8:48:07 PM

8. The term Men who have sex with men (MSM) is due to the fact that there are men out there who do not identify as being gay, yet they have sex with men (be they pre-op transexual, crossdresser, transvestite, or men) and is a clearer term for them.

Posted by: Damien | Jul 11, 2011 8:48:31 PM

9. The most alarming thing about this interview is NOT who is at most risk, is NOT a drug-resistant type of STD but (and it comes toward the last third of the interview) Big Pharma's refusal to invest anymore dimes into research for a cure of not only this particular STD but for big disease, in general. The doctor from Emory clearly states how Big Pharma is more interested in working the MANAGEMENT of CHRONIC conditions. In other words, because Big Pharma follows a for-profit model, it's more financially sound for them to keep people sick but not dying. There's no money to be had in a cure. Diabetes, HIV, MS, Epilepsy, macular degeneration, arthritis, etc. Big Pharma's in bed with Capitol Hill and the AMA and their sundry lobbyists.

Posted by: Your Mom | Jul 11, 2011 10:28:35 PM

10. Worryingly and logical enough is what “Your Mum” said. Though at least there are other countries out there witch –though in a much slower pace- can give light to improvements into the cure of those diseases. As long as all branches of science take steps forward, even if unwillingly solutions will be set. But as I said before, the problem is that many of those horrible diseases won’t have a solution in our lifetime probably.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jul 11, 2011 11:53:31 PM

11. @Damien: too bad you'll never return, because I'd also like to tell you that the sky is blue.

You mean there are guys who consider themselves straight who mess around with other guys? Wow, I need to sit down. And yeah, you must have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, really? I doubt anyone on this site has *ever* met or even heard of straight men who do "gay" things! I am shocked and appalled! I know you'll never read this, but I just want to thank you for this groundbreaking information.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 11, 2011 11:54:56 PM

12. Eli Lily, inventor of erythromycin and keflex, closed their antibiotic research division entirely. If I were a shareholder, I might support that decision with my wallet, but if I had a fever I would see it differently.

I've been trying to get a not-for-profit drug company off the ground. We really need that model. Newman's Own drugs, or equivalent.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 12, 2011 7:09:41 AM

13. @Paul R: It felt to me, too, like Damian was telling us the sky is blue. I've known straight, bi, and of course gay "Men who have Sex with Men." That isn't news.

Among the most vulnerable to STD's are those MSM's who are straight and, more especially, those who are actually gay or bi but "identify" as straight (because that level of denial tends to mean they are not discussing and accessing information about how to be safe).

The problem with the over-general "MSM" category is that it does not acknowledge what only more educated readers will already know: that one can be an "MSM" without taking on any risk.

I've known men who engaged in risky activities because they "bought" the idea that if they are in that ("MSM") category, they are simply high risk for STD's without any options.

I think we need to have a change in society where more people will be both informed and assertive enough to understand that they can have a sex life while maintaining the ability to set a whole range of parameters (NOT something as dumbed-down as "wear a condom" or "just say no") that keep them safe and healthy.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 12, 2011 4:46:52 PM

14. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "STRAIGHT" MAN HAVING SEX WITH ~~ANY~~~ MAN....CROSSGENDERED OR NOT!! THEY ARE BI/GAY....AND PLEASE MEN STOP PLAYING THIS SILLY ASS GAME WITH THEM HOPING THEY WILL LET YOU GET IN THEIR PANTS! IT IS TIME TO GROW UP....AND STOP LETTING OTHER PEOPLE USE AND PLAY YOU...

Posted by: Shannon | Jul 12, 2011 7:25:21 PM

15. There is a such thing as men having sex with any and every thing that will please their member. Its how they function. And people have as vaired tastes and wishes as they have different hairs on their heads.
    Sorry to disappoint the people who live by boxes and stereotypes, but the world is a lot more variable than you think, and people dont live to carefully fit inside the lines of one definition or another.

Posted by: teehee | Jul 13, 2011 1:34:30 AM