Colorado | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | News

Two Gay Soldiers Attacked In Colorado

PoliceLights Two soldiers based at Fort Carson, Colorado, and their friends were reportedly attacked by homophobic bullies on Saturday.

The men, who would only give their first names, John and Ted, say they had been out at a gay club with friends, one of whom is a go-go dancer, and headed to a restaurant called Albert Taco for a late night snack when another group began hurling racial and homophobic invectives in their direction.

"As soon as we walked in, there was a group of [men] that walked in," said John. “And they started a confrontation with us because of the fact that one of our go-gos was still in his outfit.”

"[We] heard a lot of racial slurs [and] a lot of hatred slurs towards homosexuals," before the confrontation escalated into physical violence, John told local ABC-affiliate KRDO.

"I ended up getting kicked in the head and in the ribs several times. I have six bruised ribs. And my right eye was completely swollen shut for about nine or 10 hours," said the soldier. Another victim had to have his jaw wired shut.

Police, who are looking for the suspected assailants, will investigate the incident as a hate crime. The soldiers, meanwhile, plan on keeping their names out of the press because their homosexuality is "definitely frowned upon" at Fort Carson.

Comments

1. Such a sad, and senseless story. They get attacked in a hate crime, but can't speak out fully on it because doing so would open themselves up to homophobia from their base. Unfortunately, given they live in the Colorado Springs area, that isn't a shock at all. I read that it was a group of about 5 people who were attacked by these thugs, including straight men and women as well.

The worst part is the fact these men are soldiers. You would think people would have respect towards those who fight for our country. This really is a wake up call to the serious problems particular cultures have towards homosexuality. A very real wake up call.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 4, 2011 9:21:42 AM

2. A group of 12 black people on 7 victims is what I read. A diverse group of straights, women and gays were attacked. 12 people causing roaming around and causing trouble at 3:30 AM. Low life trash does what low life trash will do.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 4, 2011 9:30:27 AM

3. Good christians are responsible, no doubt!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 4, 2011 9:39:05 AM

4. @Francis

"The worst part is the fact these men are soldiers. You would think people would have respect towards those who fight for our country."

1 out of 5 homeless people in America are veterans.

"The suspects are described by witnesses and victims as 5 black males and 2 black females who left the scene in what was described as a silver passenger vehicle."

Naturally. Where's Al Sharpton demanding justice?

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 10:01:20 AM

5. Come on, Allbeefpatty, you know that you are not supposed to talk about black homophobia, or the high-level of black-on-anybody else rate of crime.

Posted by: Z | Jul 4, 2011 10:09:15 AM

6. Sadly, the more things seem to change, the more evident comes to light that some things haven't budged an inch

Posted by: Christopher King | Jul 4, 2011 10:17:13 AM

7. Hi Z,

I call'em as I see'em.

As I have said many time about Mr. Ruben Diaz, before you start denigrating homosexuals, may I recommend that you begin with your own community because your "traditional values" don't seem to be working out so good. And remember, as a Christian, your supreme leader on the cross is white man with blond, flowing hair.

In other words, your a chump.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 10:24:24 AM

8. Sad story, but who goes out in a "go go outfit"? And what exactly is a go-go outfit?

Posted by: MacroT | Jul 4, 2011 10:27:56 AM

9. It's called Albertaco, not Albert Taco, and it's only a few blocks from me. This is scary!

Posted by: Rick | Jul 4, 2011 10:34:11 AM

10. We fight to give these thugs their freedoms and we can't even enjoy these freedoms? WTF? Time to really remove DADT. I do belive that once the Government accepts it, then the country will follow. {Are you Republicans listening?}It's time Obama speaks out against this type of bigotry. As a black President, does he remember his history? Beat just for color. Now it's beat just for loveing.

Posted by: Michael DeSelms | Jul 4, 2011 10:51:15 AM

11. @ Michael,

President Obama seems to have forgotten that up until 1967, in many states, his parents would have been unable to be married....in a Christian church.....with which he still identifies....which systematically fought against inter-racial marriage.....and so on.

How quickly history is forgotten.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 11:04:45 AM

12. "Where's Al Sharpton demanding justice?"

Here: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/06/brownsharpton.html

Based on the linked clip, I hardly think Al Sharpton would condone the actions of these homophobes.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jul 4, 2011 11:09:14 AM

13. "I hardly think Al Sharpton would condone the actions of these homophobes."

Yet he continues to support the very religious organizations that facilitate and perpetuate this type of behavior.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 11:37:01 AM

14. "Sad story, but who goes out in a "go go outfit"? And what exactly is a go-go outfit?"

If it's anything like go-go dancers down here, it's short shorts and no shirt.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 4, 2011 12:34:41 PM

15. Look for the Pentagon that reports to Our Fierce Avocado-in-Chief to start processing them for discharge.

Posted by: Michael@LeonardMatlovich.com | Jul 4, 2011 1:00:24 PM

16. To allbeefpatty you need to learn the difference between your and you're.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 4, 2011 1:10:55 PM

17. To IronOrchard,

Spell checking a comment section on a blog is the final refuge of the intellectually bereft.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 1:16:40 PM

18. ...and @allbeefpatty, re: telling Diaz (who I find an abhorrent bigot) and his community (presumably of black religious church goers?) to remember that their supreme leader was "a white man with blonde flowing hair..."

Who the hell believes a middle eastern man born around 0 AD/CE was "white with blond, flowing hair"? NO ONE. Sure there is art, for various motivations, that represents him that way, but anyone still holding onto that belief (really? blonde? traditionally 'white' looking?") in 2011, whether they believe in his divinity or not, is either doing so because they choose to beleive it against all evidence (motivations, no doubt, interesting there) or because they've never had enough intellectual curiosity to be exposed to any of the thousands of articles, books, History channel specials, dicussions, that have put the idea of a blonde European-looking Jesus to bed 50-60 years ago.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 4, 2011 1:18:09 PM

19. People always seem to turn these hate crimes into an anti-black rant. This isn't a race issue. It's a cultural issue. It's people born into, raised and/or influenced by homophobic cultural norms, or norms that promote homophobia. No-one commits hate crimes because of their skin color. However, because of the culture that many black individuals are raised in, they are more prone to homophobia. To change this issue, the culture has to change. And it isn't going to change if people continue to turn this issue into something it isn't.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 4, 2011 1:21:48 PM

20. "Who the hell believes a middle eastern man born around 0 AD/CE was "white with blond, flowing hair"?"

Based on the artwork and statuary I see in every church, modern or otherwise, every damn one of them.

And if you are talking about intellectual curiosity in America, that died in the 80's. Right around the time of Ronald Reagan.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 1:26:33 PM

21. @Michael[at]Leonard... I doubt it. Those that have been processed since we finished the report have either asked for it, or are (at least alleged) to have so flagrantly flaunted the policy (and I mean truthfully, not just perceived flagrancy) that the moratorium (which is official, by the way, not just in practice--no more investigations and no discharges unless the Service secretary approves it personally). If all is as it seems here, the only mistake these guys made was confirming their homosexuality to the reporter, otherwise there is no rule that says you can't go to a gay club and dance the night away or have gay friends. The precedent on that is very clear, even when the policy was in place. Of course, there were
    @ssholes everywhere who used what they could and some got through, but there was that. Without an admission or demonstration of homosexual behavior (kisses, love letters, intimate photographs, self-admission) the cases, when they were fought properly, didn't hold up.

The whole thing has been a wrongheaded, horribly bigoted, mess from the beginning. We're getting rid fo the policy, finally, not as fast as I would like, but it's happening. Until then, the policy is in place, but so is the moritorium, so with the exception of flagrant violations that cannot be ignored and/or requests for discharge or for the law to be enforced by the person making the admission, the rush has NOT been to kick people out. I know of no less than 12 investigations that have been dropped altogether since Gates passed the moritorium. This is, after all, what I do for a living.

I understand your cynicism, and I wish the guys hadn't confirmed for the reporter that they were indeed homosexuals, but all things being equal and assuming there's little more to this, I don't think an automatic assumption they'll be chaptered out is legit. I'll just be glad when there's no more splitting hairs and people can be as proud and as open about who they are without fear of repercussions at all.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 4, 2011 1:28:28 PM

22. Combatives training: FAIL!

Posted by: buckets | Jul 4, 2011 1:29:53 PM

23. "However, because of the culture that many black individuals are raised in, they are more prone to homophobia."

How about this for some culture:

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 4, 2011 1:33:23 PM

24. @allbeefpatty, not to engage you in an argument over something you clearly and sincerely believe to be true, I will at least point out that in my frequent trips to churches all over the world (based on my love of travel and the military sending me places) I haven't seen a blonde Jesus since I was a child in the late 70s/80s. There may be a few around in mostly white areas or in white evangelical Christian circles (i admit very little exposure to their churches and artwork), but the lightest I see Jesus's hair color these days is a light brown. is it kinky and is he swarthy like he should be? Sure, not really, but not blonde and white looking.

And there have been some amazing PBS, Discovery, and History channel shows on what Jesus looked like in the last 10-15 years. It's actually pretty interesting stuff.

However, since I DO agree with part of your point, that bigots who proclaim Christianity as their motives for everything, sure seem to ignore the foundational precepts of their faith and teacher, and I think your assertion came from your legitimate beliefs, I retract that "who the hell" aggressiveness of my original reply on the subject.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Jul 4, 2011 1:35:07 PM

25. What happened was horrible, but I'm surprised they weren't able to defend themselves. I know saying this is controversial, but once in a while, I'd love to see a story where gay men fight back and win.

Posted by: Sarina | Jul 4, 2011 1:38:38 PM