Mark Foley | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mark Foley Has Prostate Cancer

Mark_Foley Mark Foley, the former U.S. Representative who resigned in 2006, when it was revealed that he exchanged inappropriate messages with Congressional pages,  announced today that he has prostate cancer, but won't require radiation.

“I learned five weeks ago after a routine exam that I have prostate cancer,” said the 56-year old. “The surgery involves complete removal of the prostate. Naturally, I have some reservations about the surgery. Nobody wants their plumbing messed with. But I mostly feel good about it.”

No matter what you have to say about Foley's legislative career or personal misconduct, you should probably wish him well on this one.

Comments

1. The entire prostate? Damn.

Posted by: luminum | Jul 7, 2011 5:30:21 PM

2. It's a terrible treatment. He'll never have sex again, at least not an erection. My friend went through it 2 years ago and everything about him has changed. He said it's like getting neutered.

Posted by: MLH | Jul 7, 2011 5:43:46 PM

3. Wonder if his government health insurance will be paying for the surgery?

Posted by: Alpha | Jul 7, 2011 5:52:42 PM

4. Wait. I thought masturbation was supposed to drastically reduce the chances of prostate cancer.

I keed, I keed.

I hope all turns out okay for him though.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 7, 2011 6:05:02 PM

5. No, I really don't need to wish him well. His behavior was abominable. While I don't want him to come to any harm, I don't really have any goodwill for him.

Posted by: Ian Awesome | Jul 7, 2011 6:23:59 PM

6. Sad for him, truly, and I wish him good luck, but why is this REMOTELY newsworthy? A washed up, disgraced, closet case politician gets sick... and...?

Posted by: Rucka | Jul 7, 2011 6:29:20 PM

7. Irony is cruel.

Posted by: Sancho | Jul 7, 2011 6:29:46 PM

8. I had prostate cancer three years go and went through hormone therapy (hot flashes, etc.) and 8-1/2 weeks of radiation. It wasn't a lot of fun. BUT, I am 78 years old and horny almost 24/7, have the most fabulous orgasms of my life, with the added bonus of no clean-up - just roll over and go to sleep.

Guys, get your psa tests and digital exams regularly, so if you do have cancer it will be diagnosed and treated early!!! It does NOT have to be the end of your sex life.

Posted by: OldGuy | Jul 7, 2011 6:57:16 PM

9. As Oldguy says complete removal is a bit drastic unless it is really advanced. He should get another opinion.

Posted by: ralph | Jul 7, 2011 7:22:16 PM

10. My sympathy goes out to any cancer patient, but how did this news, with quote from Foley, get to towleroad?

Does Foley have a publicist? Since he,quite appropriately, retired to private life after his sex scandal, I am surprised to hear about him.

Maybe it's just news because of the recent Wiener scandal.

Where does Foley live now? Is he pursuing any occupation?

Posted by: Fahd | Jul 7, 2011 7:56:03 PM

11. Not a fan of Ms. Foley the closet mess, but there's no way I would wish prostate cancer on anyone. I hope his treatment (which sounds like it must be quite advanced to be so drastic) goes well.

Is it just me, or doesn't he just seem like the garden variety hypocrite and mild perv compared to the monsters getting the headlines in the Republican party today?

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Jul 7, 2011 7:56:50 PM

12. Best wishes to him.

Posted by: Felix | Jul 7, 2011 8:13:45 PM

13. Cmon, no one's gonna make a joke about Foley getting his plumbing messed with? Too soon?

Posted by: dizzy spins | Jul 7, 2011 8:39:38 PM

14. Jokes aside... and there could be many... I can only wish goodwill to someone diagnosed with Cancer... "there but for the grace of God go I"... I DO love the post by OLDGUY above... you go old man!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 7, 2011 10:20:56 PM

15. Probably? Ofcourse you should wish him well, unless you're a congregant of the Church of Fred Phelps.

Posted by: Bryan | Jul 7, 2011 10:26:30 PM

16. I've little use for Foley, but the smug, nasty comments reinforces my opinion that MANY gay men are total aholes. MANY gay men [especially effeminate men who can't 'pass'] really get off on hating 'closeted' gay men, which at the end of the day is none of your business and doesn't make them automatically bad people.

And the constant feminine references some use here to mock others [Ms. Foley, old queen, etc.] does nothing to positively encourage others to come out of the so-called closet. In fact, it probably pushes more further in. One of the things I most disliked about the gay community when I came out was the stereotype that all gay men are feminine, queens, etc., which I certainly am not

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 7, 2011 11:34:27 PM

17. Ms. Ratbastard is kinda sensitive methinks. . .:) ;p

And as far as Foley is concerned . . . best wishes and you really need to get a better pic for your wiki page. It's . . . Bachmannesque.

Posted by: ghostwhitehorse | Jul 7, 2011 11:50:57 PM

18. I was quite young when I was diagnosed. I had the surgery. Nerve sparing surgery can work, but not always. You take a chance, because it does leave a small part of the prostate. However, if it works, you remain potent, and your plumbing still works okay. Even with radiation, you take a chance. Doing nothing can actually work if you're old enough.

@Ratbastard, you told us you're butch, so why don't you go back in the closet? That way you can avoid all us nasty ol' gay men.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jul 7, 2011 11:51:06 PM

19. I'll wish him about as much well and ill as he deserves based on the decisions he made that affected the lives of gay people in his district. That's as much as he deserves, nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: Joey Y | Jul 8, 2011 7:11:21 AM

20. ratbastard, self-hating gay bigot.

Posted by: mld | Jul 8, 2011 7:42:11 AM

21. @Ratbastard, I think MLD just proved your point.

Posted by: Come on... | Jul 8, 2011 9:21:15 AM

22. Karma at its best.

Posted by: Marc | Jul 8, 2011 12:52:15 PM

23. That's too bad. I hope they caught in time and that Mr. Foley can get good treatment for it.

@RATBASTARD I will sleep much better tonight knowing that you are not an "effeminate" gay man. I think you need to take a long, hard, honest look at yourself in the mirror, son. Your self-loathing will kill you before any cancer will.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 8, 2011 2:03:51 PM

24. @Ratbastard: WTF?! Seriously? Your comments are too transparent and infantile and uninformed (and misogynistic and self-hating and homophobic, and, and...) to merit a proper, point-by-point rebuttal response.

@oldguy is my hero for the day! If I have to look forward to the best orgasm of my life if and when I reach 78 years old, then loving you, O Prostate o' Mine, makes life worth living!

(I dedicate the sentiment to @oldguy and the Whitney Houston reference to @ratbastard.)

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jul 8, 2011 2:04:53 PM

25. Latest sign seen at Westboro: "God hates Mark Foley's prostate."

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Jul 8, 2011 2:27:15 PM