Brian Brown | Gay Marriage | New York | News | NOM

NOM Leader Brian Brown Weeps Over N.Y. Marriage Win

BrianBrownCrying

Well, here's something amusing: an activist from the group Queer Rising snapped a shot of Brian Brown, a leader in the homophobic National Organization for Marriage, weeping like a baby after New York lawmakers approved marriage equality in the Empire State.

I'm not one to take pleasure in other people's tears, but I'll make an exception for Brown...

Comments

1. He's weeping because he knows they've lost the war. Oh, they will win a few more battles, but SSM will be a reality nationwide evetually, probably sooner than anyone expected. Brown makes nearly half a million a year peddling the hatred, and he probably realizes his lucrative income is in grave jeopardy. I wonder if his masters won't demand a change of regime at NOM? Of course, they should pack it in or perhaps find a new group of people to hate. Muslims or immigrants, maybe? Perhaps he is weeping because he realizes he is on the wrong side of history.

Posted by: Abel | Jul 5, 2011 9:09:47 AM

2. I find it interesting that this vote would move this man to tears. That someone would be so invested in a vote that ostensibly has NO EFFECT on him is telling. Cry for our economy, cry for the homeless and hungry, but to cry over equality is just wrong.

Posted by: Benton | Jul 5, 2011 9:15:24 AM

3. Half million a year to do that?

Posted by: Scott | Jul 5, 2011 9:16:59 AM

4. He's just sad because when all the gays are married, he won't be able to have any down low hook ups : (

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 5, 2011 9:18:14 AM

5. He's not weeping with sadness over the NY vote. No, he's weeping with joy at the new fund-raising possibilities created by NY's SSM law. He figures he and fellow NOMbie Maggie will be rolling in even more $$$ thanks to this newest civil rights act - even if they accomplish absolutely nothing with their future bigoted homophobic efforts. You know, kinda like crying all the way to the bank.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jul 5, 2011 9:28:56 AM

6. It looks like he's weeping but he could just be resting.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 5, 2011 9:38:00 AM

7. Maggie must have had a complete meltdown. I'm guessing she consoled herself by consuming a litter of COKE, an extra large pizza and a baker's dozen from Krispy Kream donuts.

Posted by: Mike Triggs | Jul 5, 2011 9:40:18 AM

8. Honestly I wonder if he is happy that now he can get married to a guy. All of NOM's people seem like they prayed the gay away.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 5, 2011 9:41:08 AM

9. He reminds me of the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Posted by: Oliver | Jul 5, 2011 9:46:40 AM

10. This pictures makes me turn into Cartman from South Park. "Oh the tears of unfathomable sadness! So sweet. Your tears taste sweet, Brian."

Posted by: George | Jul 5, 2011 9:55:56 AM

11. Does anyone actually believe he is straight?

Posted by: homer | Jul 5, 2011 9:58:23 AM

12. @HOMER No,I don't believe he is straight. Just like I don't believe Michele Bachmann's husband is straight. As I always say, if they ain't, I ain't either.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 5, 2011 10:12:07 AM

13. I would cry if I blew that much money on a failed initiative when I could have been using it to feed and clothe the poor like my religion calls me to do.

Posted by: luminum | Jul 5, 2011 10:24:01 AM

14. Proof that they really do hate us intensely. Why cry? Really, it shows serious mental problems.

Posted by: Rovex | Jul 5, 2011 10:24:09 AM

15. he's crying because it is the beginning of the end for his racket. he and maggie the cow may actually have to go out and find real work. it is hard eat like those two on food stamps.

Posted by: walter | Jul 5, 2011 10:32:36 AM

16. As much as I hate groups like NOM and the bigotry they spread, I frequently just feel sorry for the actual people.

The best case for Bryan Brown and his ilk is that they'll eventually realize they've wasted their lives on something so hateful and misguided and have a change of heart. But a lot of them will probably go to the grave thinking the fought the good fight (futilely, because I firmly believe that we'll only go up from here re: gay rights), many of them self-loathing gays who've worked to destroy their own happiness. I pity them, but I can't hate them.

Posted by: dex | Jul 5, 2011 10:34:45 AM

17. He's crying because his Grindr app crashed. Allegedly.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Jul 5, 2011 10:43:56 AM

18. GEORGE: Awesome Cartman reference!

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 5, 2011 10:54:45 AM

19. Towleroad is better than this. The last time Belonsky took over for Andy, the quality of this site dropped dramatically and here were are again. This is petty and immature.

Posted by: Bastian | Jul 5, 2011 11:25:05 AM

20. "I'm not one to take pleasure in other people's tears,"

Well I am.

There, there fat boy...let me lick the sweet, salty tears of sorrow you worthless shithead.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jul 5, 2011 11:25:19 AM

21. Cry baby cry pain inevitably leads to evolution, feel the pain and understand the harm you do to your own soul and others, Equility will triumph.

Posted by: curtis | Jul 5, 2011 11:38:49 AM

22. Some of these people sincerely believe that legalizing same-sex marriage will be the end of society as we have known it.

What gets me is how they can take that view when they look at the kind of social wasteland this country has already become, with most children growing up in dysfunctional families, usually without both natural parents being present, and often with no parent at home most of the time to provide them with proper guidance.

How could the institution of the family, which marriage is supposed to be the basis of, be any more damaged than it already is? And even if you buy their view that same-sex marriage will further damage it, how can you convince yourself of that when the likelihood of their being many gay marriages is pretty small (in Canada, apparently there have been fewer than 10,000 gay marriages in the 6 years since it has been fully legal)?

Strange, strange people.....

Posted by: Rick | Jul 5, 2011 11:59:28 AM

23. Crying only works for Boehner. Maybe he's sad because he can see a huge downgrade in his and Maggie's pay eventually and they'll have to go back to Wal-Mart.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 5, 2011 12:13:06 PM

24. Crocodile tears if I ever saw them...

Posted by: Nick | Jul 5, 2011 12:26:51 PM

25. He's like a lazy young man who's been living with his parents way too long and still not working. Mommie and Daddy tell him, "It's time to find a *real* job." The lazy young man's reaction? Waaaaaaa!

Posted by: Phil | Jul 5, 2011 1:01:26 PM