Bob Vander Plaats | Gay Marriage | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Iowa Anti-Gay Conservative Leader Enjoys 'Fag' Joke: VIDEO

Bob_vanderplaats

Bob Vander Plaats, the President of The Family Leader, Iowa's leading anti-gay group and creator of the GOP 2012 presidential 'Marriage Vow', had a good laugh in March over a "fag" joke at one of its organization's events, Think Progress reports:

ATTENDEE: You know what my wife says? She says: Iowa, the state where you can’t smoke a fag, but you can marry one.

[Laughter]

VANDER PLAATS: Oh shoot, that’s pretty good, that’s pretty good. Oh shoot.

Watch (you may need to turn up your volume), AFTER THE JUMP...

Igor Volsky notes:

"Vander Plaats’ reaction is not entirely surprising, since the group has previously compared homosexuality to the cancerous effects of second-hand smoking and links supports to ex-gay reparative therapy. What’s more telling is the willingness of Republican presidential candidates like Tim Pawlenty and Newt Gingrich to attend the group’s presidential forum and Michele Bachmann’s and Rick Santorum’s eagerness to sign its pledge."

Comments

1. These people are so vile.

Posted by: Matthew | Jul 19, 2011 10:19:58 AM

2. Has Iowa banned smoking state-wide? I had not heard this. I know that's not the point, but, if you're going to make a joke, at least make a joke that makes sense.

Posted by: Jere | Jul 19, 2011 10:21:28 AM

3. "nazis are a$$holes, oh sure, they're cute when they're little."
    S. Silverman

Posted by: Rikard | Jul 19, 2011 10:25:33 AM

4. that's a campaign ad if I've seen one...the hate and disrespect is palpable

Posted by: Chris | Jul 19, 2011 10:25:34 AM

5. i thought michele bachmann was from minnesota

Posted by: r | Jul 19, 2011 10:28:34 AM

6. replace fag with N***** and see what would happen....riot

Posted by: Amaezm | Jul 19, 2011 10:28:34 AM

7. I believe Ms Bachman was birthed in Hawkeye State.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 19, 2011 10:32:40 AM

8. @AMAEZM: I was just going to write that. Replace one slur for another and see how people react. Sounds like it's the 1950s. All that 'we don't like them, and we don't want them around' talk.

So very Christian of them.

Posted by: JTlvr | Jul 19, 2011 10:50:10 AM

9. I guess the "sanctity of marriage" trumps decency as a hunan being.

Posted by: Firenzix | Jul 19, 2011 10:59:05 AM

10. i cant wait for those smirks to wipe out from their faces. we will win someday, because good always triumphs over evil. people like these are not children of god at all. makes me sick!

Posted by: shello | Jul 19, 2011 11:24:30 AM

11. He needs a glitter enema.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 19, 2011 11:45:53 AM

12. Here I was, proud of IA in '09. Now I'm ashamed to live here again.

Posted by: Nic | Jul 19, 2011 11:54:31 AM

13. NIC

Your point being what exactly? You could go to the most liberal state and find people like this scumbag. They're not about to go away because the church isn't about to go away any time soon. What's important is that they're becoming a shrinking minority cause the younger people are nothing like them in attitudes.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 19, 2011 12:13:20 PM

14. looks like they're at subway, per those tomato fixtures on the wall.

the video itself helps me draw my conclusions, while their meeting site standards strengthen my feelings.

Posted by: adam | Jul 19, 2011 12:22:57 PM

15. This is not funny in the slightest. It highlights the '50s mentality of those involved. Oh shoot indeed.

Posted by: Iowan | Jul 19, 2011 12:33:36 PM

16. Smoking is illegal basically anywhere indoors in Iowa except in private residences. I have no fondness for Vander Plaats, but I can't hold this against him. I thought it was pretty funny :)

Posted by: Tris O | Jul 19, 2011 2:22:25 PM

17. I personally don't see anything funny about this at all. like someone above said....what if the 'n' word had been used instead of "fag". Don't you know that the sky would fall in. Totally no.

Posted by: tinhouston | Jul 19, 2011 10:43:55 PM

18. Well personally, I say keep talking Vander Plaats (or MVP as he was known as a high school basketball coach/teacher) because the more you talk, the deeper hole you dig yourself into with mainstream America!!

Posted by: Ioway | Jul 20, 2011 1:17:43 AM

19. But why replace F+g with N+gger? When a Black person says these things some of you on here call us those names anyway. So now this white guy is saying f=g.....Where are those racially motivatated angry and outraged statements at?....OH WAIT! OH NEVERMIND!

VanDerplatts is an a**hat anyway!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jul 20, 2011 1:40:50 AM