GLAAD Condemns Adam Carolla’s Anti-Gay, Anti-Trans Rant

You can bet your bottom dollar that GLAAD is all over this, and this after released a statement not only condemning Carolla's remarks, but reminding readers that the "comedian" has a history of anti-gay language: he has previously said that same-sex couples are not as good at parenting as their straight counterparts. What's more, GLAAD points out that Carolla derides other social and cultural groups, as well:

…LGBT people are hardly the only community about which Carolla has made ignorant remarks. In the past, Carolla has called the people of Hawaii “dumb,” “stupid,” “in-bred,” and “retarded” people who are among the “dumbest people we have.” Last year, Carolla referred to a Filipino boxer as being illiterate, having brain damage, and someone who prays to chicken bones – and stated that this boxer was ‘all the people of the Philippines have.’

In the group's statement on the matter, Herndon Graddick, GLAAD's Senior Director of Media Programs, remarks, "Given his history of anti-gay and racist comments, networks and advertisers should know what their money is supporting if they choose to hire Adam Carolla. The gross intolerance that he tries to pass off as comedy should not have a place on our airwaves.”

These sorts of comments don't belong on our airwaves, in our latrines, or anywhere else. Sadly, they do, and you can hear his audienec yucking it up in the background.

Comments

1. tpoww says

No doubt his PR team (yes–even low-level “comedians” like Adam Carolla have a PR team) is working overtime as we speak.
    We should have a sincere, sensitively worded statement within a day.
    Yawn.

2. prophet says

Carolla has a very long anti-gay history of horrendous rants (starting on radio with Dr. Drew). While it is true that not everyone is thrilled with the T’s being forced on the gay rights movement, he is just trying to be relevant again in a pathetic way.

3. Woody McBreairty says

I don’t know who this guy is, but as far as I’ve been able to tell, he is a loser who has tried his hand at show biz comedy and never made it. He has become one of those fringe “entertainers” who keeps trying to get obscure radio gigs or hand outs from managers at comedy clubs and lizard lounge venues. Possibly his lashing out at others is his way of trying to legitimize his own existence. Misery loves company…

4. r says

hate to say it, but he’s just saying what a lot of assholes are thinking

which is why WE ALL have to come out–not just in gay resorts, ghettoes, or atlantis cruises….

5. Jim says

I don’t (have the stomach) and I didn’t (listen here). There was a time when this kind of talk was some kind of ‘piss-marking’ for straight men … but now it’s just stupid. Society HAS changed, and this macho shithead temper tantrum is no longer appealing… to anyone.

6. says

Well, we could always just get rid of free speech, or maybe we should be thankful that the real idiots feel comfortable making themselves noticeable; I’m from Canada, were a lot of the prejudice is hidden behind smiles (not always, but you know….) and I kind of like it when celebs or otherwise are openly stupid, otherwise you might watch their (quality?) programming lol 😉

7. Charley says

It shouldn’t come as a shock to learn that there are still plenty of dumb-ass bigots out there, and a few have undeserved name recognition like this unfunny bozo.

8. SpunkyBunks says

Why should we shut up? Blacks fought hard for their civil rights by holding everyone accountable for their sh*t talk too! We have to do the same and not give ANYBODY a free pass to degrade the LGBT community.

9. Bryan says

i get the feeling that this is more about GLAAD trying to recover from its OWN massive PR shitstorm than anything adam corolla has said, which doesn’t even come CLOSE to the level of ignorance and intolerance we hear on a daily basis from religious conservatives. does he seem to have a visceral dislike for trans people? yes, but he also displays a fundamental misunderstanding of what a transgender person IS. it’s good that it is getting attention in the media, but it would be a worse crime for GLAAD to exploit the transgender community to absolve itself of its misdeeds.

10. HA! says

So in this age of political correctness…

Remember this when you are about to type something hateful,remember this when you are about to make a derogatory comment about some one that doesnt agree with you. It’s all fun to poke at others, but when it strikes close to home, every one is upset. When did we loose the ability to laugh at our selves?
    Does any one at GLAAD listen to RawDog on Sirrius? I hear the crazy gay stuff on there all the time and Crazy Black stuff etc… If true equality is ever going to take place. we need to lighten up, take stock of the things that are important.
    GLAAD, in my opinion, has much bigger fish to fry than Adam Corrolla.

11. Steve says

Same guy that got a morning radio show to replace Howard Stern in LA and several other markets, and FAILED MISERABLY. So now he does a car show with an audience of 15? He’s done nothing but go straight down hill. He’s a nobody.

12. rjp3 says

Stupid Comments by Adam C — BUT lets remember how IDIOTIC the Bert and Ernie petition was and how it played into the worst fears of the movement OVER REACHING and being offensive…..

As for the T in GLBT — as long as they are being hated on I understand why they are part of the movement. Not all those women in the photos of the Stonewall Riots were really women.

Just dont get me going on Gender!

13. candideinnc says

HA–What the hell are you talking about? I will ridicule Palin and Bachman and the Christianists forever. Their problem is not an innate feature of their sexual character, and the abuse I intend to heap on them is not a matter of stereotyping. I am disgusted by them because of their bigoted and politically horrific policies and attitudes. If I attacked them just because they were white, or Presbyterian, or female or whatever, your point may be valid, but these are people who are attempting to achieve great power they hope to use in very evil ways…hardly a description of transgendered people. Your argument is frankly ridiculous.

14. walter says

corolla is always been and will always be a no talent self promoting bag of sh-t. he will never change and who cares he is a has been or never was. time for television to get rid of all the garbage.

15. jason says

The Adam Carollas of the world are everywhere. They’re in radio, they’re in music, they’re in TV, they’re in shopping malls…basically everywhere.

We in the gay community have spent too much time criticizing Republican politicians and not enough time criticizing jerks like Carolla. It’s high time we got our priorities right.

16. Richard says

I like Carolla for the most part but let’s all understand he’s a comedian known for talking and talking and talking. He’s bound to say something stupid now and again.

I actually listened to the clip and his point is: 1) Why are transgendered folks lumped into the same group as gays? Fair question, actually. He then makes some off-color jokes about them. 2) Bert and Ernie are not sexual and using them as a way to teach our 5-year-olds about gay issues is stupid and the proposal to get them married is idiotic. Which it is.

Adam spent a lot of years on LoveLine helping a lot of gay kids who called in and, while he probably joked a lot, he did want to help.

17. Maggie says

To the people commenting on transgender people’s presence in the gay community, don’t forget that’s not a new thing. Transwomen were at the Stonewall Riots, they just weren’t referred to as “transgender” in that era, they were still called drag queens or transvestites, eg Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson of STAR, the latter of whom was one of the leaders of the riots and (I believe) was credited as the one who threw the first punch.

18. Francis says

Adam already has sent out an “apology” to TMZ. He says he’s sorry his comments hurt people, and that he’s not a politician but a comedian.

The guy is saying what about 40% of Americans are thinking, so more than anything it’s a good thing his bigotry has been exposed, so we can highlight it for what it is. Outside of that, I couldn’t care less. He’s insignificant and a loser.

19. Sebastian says

I know I am in the minority but I have asked those very questions myself, only to find “my community” completely outraged. Why is it wrong to ask the question? How much do we have in common? What exactly is our commonality? Is it really a moral outrage to ask these questions when MOST gay men are pretty racist, ageist, etc. We are not this lovely, peaceful community that spends weekends working on our organic gardens. We like our sex, our drugs, our extremely deep criticism of one another for any variety of reasons and yet, to simply the question is to walk some of moral plank. I know your are going to be outraged, so if you could keep your biting, bitchy comments to yourself and actually discuss, it would be appreciated.

20. Rin says

Ummmmmmmmm

THE MAN SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was on for how effin’ long????????

It was a misogynistic piece of crap but did anyone protest it? Nope. It was “funny”.

I’m all…whatever.

21. pinko says

He’s always been an offensive shithead, and now, apparently, he’s an offensive shithead who is desperate for attention.

I might have a modicum of respect for him, however, if he refuses to apologize. At least then he’ll be an honest, offensive shithead.

22. will says

I’m sorry, this is vaguely offensive, but this is not enough REAL hostility toward gays to get worked up about.

I don’t want to whitewash the entire culture out of politically incorrect rants and jokes. He’s not threatening us, he’s just a bit homophobic, and I can deal with that.

23. says

You all need to find something better to do with your time than attacking comedians. Yes, comedy is subjective, but just like you have the right to be upset, Adam has the right to attempt jokes. Just because you don’t find them funny doesn’t mean other people like me don’t. I laughed my ass off. And I am very accepting of alternative lifestyles. I had an uncle that died of aids that he contracted from gay sex. It’s just a goddamn joke. Get over yourselves and find something better to do with your time than police comedy.

24. Brian in Texas says

Amazing how the sentiment is completely different with some when it’s Adam Corolla and not Tracy Morgan. Hmmmm…wonder why? Some things never change. They are both comedians right?

25. mike128 says

Look at that photo. I can hardly take a radio host that wears so much makeup and has so much plastic surgery done seriously. That said, let’s make him suffer. 😉

26. Mike says

When I see Chaz Bono I don’t look at my cock, because just being happy enough for him now that he’s comfortable in his own skin, is enough for me. It’s alright if there’s a person I don’t want to think about having sex with. I move on. This guy has very little talent and needs to make up for it with outrageous rants.

27. Markus says

I read Adam Carolla’s book (In Fifty Years We’ll All Be Chicks: . . . And Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy) while on vacation in Hawaii. My straight brother brought it. The book was hilarious. It gave us a lot to laugh about and brought us together. You guys are embarrassing yourselves. Adam Corolla is not a politician or a leader in any way. He’s a comedian whose stick is doing a man’s show. He says the dumb things guys think about. Lighten up.

28. James says

“Its ok to say horrible things about Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann or Rick Perry, but say something about gay people and WAAHOO!!.”

You know what we call this? A Straw Man argument. Nice job.

29. Shannon says

I AGREE! GAY WHITE MEN WILL SAY THE MOST HATE FUL THINGS ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE….YET WHEN SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT THEM….THEY FALL TO GODDAMN PIECES……LOL

30. Valerie says

I listened to it. It wasn’t anti-gay. He was attacking the ridiculous development of lumping gays in with every gender or sexual subgroup that is different. He asks why gays are lumped in with people who identify as heterosexual and who are in the process of surgically altering their genitals. He also points out how there are so many variations pre-op, post-op, etc., that it has become ridiculous.

He shouldn’t apologize to anyone. He’s right.

31. just_a_guy says

So, speaking of the trans-folk, hey, did you guys ever notice that Genesis 2:21-23 is really a trans story of sorts. It’s like a little trans fairy tail.

It’s kinda cute for tran folk, ya know. Ancient trans mythology; who knew, right?

Yeah, there aren’t a lot of ’em…why is that any more a reason to excuse yourself from giving them any respect?!!

Especially when it’s straight dudes like you, Mr. Carolla, who primarily who such intense fantasies about em, u know.

Use a condom the next time you f*** a t-girl, Mr. Carolla…it’s time you started treating them with respect.

It doesn’t surprise me that it just took a real man to tell you that, of course, li’l hater-Carolla. I’m afraid you insult that Toyota model, dude, sorry…

32. just_a_guy says

He’s not even funny. And I just watched Louis C.K.–who uses the Fa word offensively repeatedly…whose overall act is still FREAKIN FUNNY. THis dude…nope.

Just slow. C.K. at least talks intimately about himself, which is his funniest stuff. This dude just comes accross as CRAZY-INSECURE and hateful. He’s not even open about his own insecurities AT ALL.

I’d gong this dude off stage for boringness alone, to be honest.

33. just_a_guy says

@Jake, hahahahah. Ya effin redneck, lol.

It’s so sweet of you to bring up the only gay man you knew and to stress that he died of AIDs–and say it was cuz he was gay (not because he, say, was too permiscuous because your family was ASSHOLES to him, say??)

Why you seem like an upstanding gentleman, dude. If it weren’t for my uptightness beating up on an innocent comedian, then maybe I’d appreciate that. :—-)

34. just_a_guy says

I think GLAAD has a place. I’m not for thought police, but I AM for THINKING.

Plus, it’s not for nothing that most lgbt folk tend to inherently distrust straight folk.

Life’s a whirl, people. But to make an impact, you sometimes have to see it as more than a zero-sum game: Words mean things…yup.

35. just_a_guy says

@Val. Hmm. If ur saying what u say as a transgendered or transexual person, do you give him way too much credit?

I mean, I know the basic statistics about how trans MtoF are treated by the men they’d prefere to have a real relationship with: It’s not good. I don’t see why trans folk wouldn’t appreciate gay men standing up for them in the face of serious abuse against them.

But I agree doing a Foucaultian over-classification thing is silliness. I think when people throw a monkey-wrench in all of that, it’s good for everyone.

It’s also a scary specter to see gender in a binary or single-axis kinda way. I think it’s funny the way some straight guys think they should do things like always hold the door for their gay guy friends and such, lol. Uh, we’re guys, too, dude.

P.S. @Jake: I should’ve said “unprotected permiscuous sex” and not simply permiscuous sex simply. It’s being unwise with sexuality that is the biggest risk in that regard–exemplified by sex with a stranger without a condom.

And hating on sexual minorities (like Carolla does) only seems to me to perpetuate the most-extreme violence on trans folk.

Just sayin…tho I’m happy Markus or whoever bonded with his brother somehow over it all…bonding is good. content is real, too.

36. Robert in NYC says

And the Tea Party scumbaggers are drooling over this one I bet. He’s a coward, he wouldn’t dare denigrate African-Americans or Jews because he knows gays are an easy target that everyone on the right loves to hate, including the majority in the GOP and their two offshoots.

37. AJ says

This is hardly the worst I have ever heard. He’s demonstrating bigotry, sure, but also ignorance about the trans community. While I would never say the things he did I admit I was pretty ignorant about them until I met a few. I second that this pales in comparison to the stomach churning stuff that religious leaders say about us on a daily basis.

38. wimsy says

Boys! Boys! BOYS! Stop that childish bickering and pipe down. Don’t make me come up there!

Honestly, those little brats find that damnest things to argue about…

39. datlaw214 says

Ha!, do you understand the difference between denigrating someone for something that is not a choice, and being angry at someone for a choice to discriminate? Maybe you should do more thinking and less apologizing.

40. bill says

Further goes to show that we have to expose every bigot in the media, in entertainment, in politics, in every field and show the world how grossly evil and misguided they are. They seek to destroy us…then we should end their pathetic careers as well!!

41. anon says

Adam’s career peaked early and has gone downhill ever since. I last saw him doing a weird take on a home improvement show. He comes from the end of the era when MTV was a personality factory for TV hosts.

42. Peter says

Adam Carolla is a comedian who speaks his mind. Being shocked and appalled by comedy shows a complete ignorance of context. Also, as a longtime listener of the podcast, I can assure you that he’s not anti-gay. His PR group is gay. He has gay employees. He has gay friends of his to bits at bars around los angeles. He’s pro gay marriage. I could go on…

43. Yeek says

Peter, it’s possible to be close to people and even love them but still be prejudiced against them. See: men who loved their wives and daughters but didn’t think they should get the right to vote in 1920.

On the flip side, people have every right to be homophobic. They have every right to be racist, sexist, or whatever. But they don’t have the right for it to be easy.

44. says

Every time we mindlessly laugh our asses off at a crude joke about Lesbians, Gay men or Transfolk, we encourage this kind of thing. Don’t come to me with some bullsh*t argument about “political correctness”! Wisecracks told at the expense of LGBT dignity aren’t cool, and it’s time everybody realized it.

45. whocares says

Did everyone actually listen to the audio. It really wasn’t that bad. We have the term homophobe chambered everytime someone critisizes G&L’s. The whole Sesame Street thing that started all this is as ignorant as Carolla’s comments. Also, hate to say it but he does have most listened to podcast on the planet.

46. B-RAD says

ADAM MAKES PERFECTLY GREAT SENSE. WHEN DID EVERYONE BECOME OKAY OR HAD TO ACCEPT HOMOSEXUALS AND LESBIANS? WE ARE NOT AND WE DO NOT HAVE TO. TO SEE HOW MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF TWISTED GROUPS YOU HAVE IN THE HOMO COMMUNITY IS JUST RIDICULOUS. THIS IS THE MAIN REASON WHY I AM AND SO MANY OF MY FRIENDS ARE VOTING REPUBLICAN NEXT YEAR IT HAS GOTTEN TO THE POINT WHERE THE SAME THING IS THOUGHT OF DEMOCRATS, THAT IF WE ARE DEMOCRATS THAT WE SUPPORT EVEY LITTLE GRASS ROOT, SAME SEX COMMUNITY ETC. AND WE (WELL I AM NO LONGER SUPPORTING DEMO’S) DO NOT. MY VIEWS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH A GOD IT IS SIMPLE COMMON F@#$ING SENSE. NEXT PEOPLE WILL WANT TO GET WINGS ATTACHED TO THEIR BACKS. I, WE, REPUBLICANS ARE SAYING NO IT MUST STOP NOW. I AM PUSHING FOR A BILL THAT STOPS SEX CHANGES IN THE U.S. AND IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY TO HAVE IT DONE YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOW TO RE-ENTER. MICHAEL JACKSON DID NOT HAVE ANYONE TO TELL HIM NO AND LOOK HOW HE ENDED UP AND IF WE ALLOW THIS TO CONT. THE HOMOSEXUALS, TRANIES, LESBIANS ARE GOING TO DRIVE THIS COUNTRY THE WAY M.J. DROVE HIS LIFE IN THE GROUND LITERALLY….

47. aubrey says

huh.
    i think it’s awfully sad that people here in the Philippines do NOT know who this fug is– because Manny Pacquiao is not the only Filipino who has iron knuckles.
    i’ll post this page on my Facebook account then.
    maybe he’ll meet a couple dozen Filipino punches in the US.

48. J H Robbins says

“For the record, Chaz is a lot more man than this f’n gas-bag, loudmouth.” True – I would love to see him confront Chaz (and Cher). He would turn into a little puddle.

“So in this age of political correctness…
    Huh? The aforementioned jackholes have placed themselves in the public arena and as such are open game for critical examination and discussion. Not so much with the rest of us.

49. Steve says

Is anyone going to address the factual aspects of what he said or is everyone going to pretend to be offended by what is quite reasonable?

Being gay is fine but has nothing to do with transsexuals and transgenders. Why are they lumped together?

And just because you have sex with someone other people are supposed to care? Go do whatever you want but don’t expect anyone to give a damn.

How are those ideas disagreeable? Gays might imagine they are the center of the universe but no one else cares about their drama or sexual escapades. It’s just not important at all.

50. Dave says

Carolla definitely comes off sounding like an idiot, but he’s not a bigot. He supports gay marriage and took part in the NoH8 campaign. While his rant was pretty stupid, I don’t think it was meant to be an attack on LGBT people; I think it was more about groups/group mentality, which he rants about a lot, which I don’t agree with. I would accept arguments that he’s made against social groups like the NAACP, Larasa, etc. if it weren’t for our nation and the world’s rich history of bigotry. However because of racism/homophobia/other forms of bigotry, there unfortunately is a need for there being an “LGBT community”, black groups like the NAACP, etc. Anyways I think Carolla should give a real apology. What he said was really stupid and mean, but I don’t think he’s a bigot.

51. Joe says

you’re really off base here. I’ve worked for Adam,he treats all people equally. He wants everyone to shut up and stop asking for “equal rights”. He believes most people are like him and treat everyone well until they do something to deserve otherwise.

I was listening to that show and can assure you that you;re misinterperating the intent of his remarks. There is no excuse for trying to hurt someone else, especially someone you don’t understand. Even if you think that person is trying to hurt you.