I'm Not Gay | Indiana | News | Republican Party

Anti-Gay Indiana Lawmaker Who Paid Male Teen for Sex Resists Call from Speaker to Step Down, Says He's Not Gay: VIDEO

Hinkle

Anti-gay Indiana Rep. Phil Hinkle, who was caught earlier this month paying $80 to a male teen for sex after responding to an ad on Craigslist, is refusing calls, now public, from the House Speaker, for him to step down. The calls from Speaker Brian Bosma follow similar pressure last week from a wide range of officials.

Hinkle is also being removed from committees.

The Indy Star reports:

He said that he understands why he's being stripped of his committee chairmanships and that he won't seek re-election. But he said he will not resign, despite House Speaker Brian Bosma's call Tuesday to do so.

And he said he did nothing illegal with -- or to -- the young man and that he himself was the victim of a crime. But he said he would not file a police report.

Said Hinkle in his first public comments since the incident: "I was on the road to self-destruction, and I don't know why....I say that emphatically. I'm not gay...I went to the edge, but I didn't fall over the edge."

Watch two news reports on the calls for Hinkle to step down, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Headline is misleading. From what I understand, Hinkle attempted to pay for sex, but the sex never happened and money was never actually exchanged. Hinkle (and his family) then piled on the bribes, which were not accepted.

Posted by: rodolfo | Aug 24, 2011 9:32:10 AM

2. Ugh. That "edge" rears its ugly head again. I think it would help to place a painted, yellow stripe near the "edge" like in parking lots. Just as a warning not to get too close. I mean, you could fall over!

Posted by: dattexas | Aug 24, 2011 9:39:44 AM

3. And another self-loathing closet-case tries to slink back into oblivion.

How soon will we see him along with the long-suffering Mrs. Phil standing stoically beside him as he vows to fight this "slander" to the bitter end?

Sorry, Phil. But you already *did* fall over the edge the second you picked up that kid on Craigslist.

Posted by: JoyZeeBoy | Aug 24, 2011 9:43:25 AM

4. Yes because 'gay' is a 'lifestyle'. And he lives a 'heterosexual' lifestyle. With a wife who doesn't mind her husband going on craigslist, paying someone who could be his grand-son, for sex... He's prayed to Jesus so this problem is behind him.(until he gets horny again next month).

Posted by: Mike | Aug 24, 2011 9:48:30 AM

5. Gotta love the Roy Cohn approach. "I'm not gay, I just have sex with other men."

Posted by: Rick in Cincinnati | Aug 24, 2011 9:50:34 AM

6. Remember "straight" dudes' motto: as long as you didn't stick it in, you're not gay.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 24, 2011 9:51:00 AM

7. Let me correct myself--the actual motto is "As long as _I_ didn't stick it in, I'm not gay, but if _you_ so much as look at another dude twice, you're a homo."

Posted by: Michael | Aug 24, 2011 9:52:10 AM

8. He's probably convinced himself that he's not gay. He thinks he's straight but just likes to have sex with men. People can really be delusional.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 24, 2011 9:52:11 AM

9. Closeted Rethuggie homophobe Hinkle (yes, two for the price of one) puts "delusion" in "delusional". This sickness seems to be rampant among male GOPers. I'd like to know how (and why) so many of their heterosexual spouses put up with this BS.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 24, 2011 9:58:37 AM

10. A lot of you are extremely naive about male sexuality. Why can't you just accept that there are many straight-identifying men who will sometimes dabble with other men? They might do this for several reasons: the easy availability of men relative to women, the disinhibition that comes with alcohol consumption, the desire to break out of a stifling marriage to a woman who will have sex with a man once every blue moon....these are all factors.

Of course, the said politician is still a hypocrite but you gays are just as bad with your rabid ignorance.

Posted by: jason | Aug 24, 2011 10:03:02 AM

11. Hadenoughbs, I get the feeling the wives put up with it because of the elevated status they have as Mrs. Senator/Representative/Governor.

Posted by: Dastius-Krazitauc | Aug 24, 2011 10:08:28 AM

12. He didn't "fall over the edge" because the person he was soliciting decided not to go through with it. Not because he decided not to, or in some way saved himself. Hypocrite, thy name is republican.

Posted by: Reggie | Aug 24, 2011 10:12:29 AM

13. Wow, I guess I am ignorant -- especially as one of "you gays." (Thanks for bunching us up as one bloc who can only be identified as "you gays.") I guess if you're trying, as a lawmaker, to take away my rights and freedoms and deny me everything simply because I'm gay, and then you try to solicit sex from a male, you are a hypocrite and no fluid definition of male sexuality is going to make a difference to me. All excuses.

Of course, if this was meant as parody, I apologize.

Posted by: Hodzer | Aug 24, 2011 10:27:53 AM

14. @DASTIUS-KRAZITAUC

Yes, but just how "elevated" must these wives feel after such hypocritcal incidents involving their husbands come to light? That's my question. Perhaps they do put up with it for the reason you state while their husbands play on the "down low" (or the wives simply don't know what's going on) but why do so after it becomes public?? I'd think it'd be extremely embarrassing for the spouse to be associated with such a bigoted hypocrite.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 24, 2011 10:39:20 AM

15. Not gay, a victim??
    @Jason, if one does what you wrote, then why the same person is anti-gay in public?

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 24, 2011 10:45:57 AM

16. You know, I have to say that some of you are really a little harsh on guys like this. He is 70 years old and grew up in an era when being attracted sexually to other men was considered a form of mental illness and when men were routinely entrapped and had their lives ruined as a consequence. His generation had no choice but to get married and live a double life if they wanted to have any status in the world at all. Yes, the world has changed somewhat, but all people are to a large extent the product of their formative experience, so you might show a little sympathy in addition to the piling on. You cannot expect men who grew up in that environment to just throw away the lives they built and wrap themselves in the rainbow flag....

If this were a 30-year-old, it would be a different story, but it is not.....

I really think part of the viciousness on display here is the consequence of those of you who are young having zero sensitivity to the severity of homophobia that your elders faced and the lack of options they had.....and you would be in the same boat if some of that generation had not made huge personal sacrifices of the sort that I doubt many of you would have been prepared to make.......

Posted by: Rick | Aug 24, 2011 10:50:11 AM

17. So, because he's old (I'm 50) he gets a "kind-of free" pass? He's still voting anti-gay. He can do what he wants in private, but don't vote on things that have consequences or take away what I want to do in private or public. That's hypocritical no matter how old or young.

Posted by: Hodzer | Aug 24, 2011 11:09:07 AM

18. Guys, he's on the edge of glory, and he's hanging on a moment of truth. Out on the edge of glory, and he's hanging on a moment with you.

I'm pretty sure that song was written for moments just like this.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 24, 2011 11:13:00 AM

19. Rick, we're harsh? You are confusing things. I (and I imagine many other gay men) have sympathy for the men of his generation who could only lead open gay lives with great difficulty and consequences. It's indeed understandable that they chose to conform to the "heterosexual lifestyle." Such men harmed no one but themselves and their wives, and their dishonesty is understandable.

But that is not the issue here. This guy is an anti-gay lawmaker who chose to vote in favor of writing discrimination against all gay people into his state constitution. No one forced him to do that. It is possible to be closeted without working to harm other gay people. His harm towards his gay constituents far outweighs any negativity towards him here in blog comments!

Furthermore, others of his generation who did lead open lives and who did advance gay rights for the benefit of younger generations deserve our respect and support. He wasn't one of them. He is a hypocrite who is trying to save his political as$ at our expense. Creeps like this do not deserve our "sensitivity", sorry.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 24, 2011 11:14:57 AM

20. Rick, we aren't piling on him for being closeted but for being a hypocritical politician whose discriminatory views affect public policy. He was born in 1946. Gay men with political ambition in that generation or earlier may have felt greater stigma but didn't enter a fake lavender marriage. Barney Frank and Harvey Milk did not. Hundreds of prominent men in other fields (especially the arts) lived discreetly with their partners even in the 1930's.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 24, 2011 11:15:36 AM

21. @Rick so all the votes he cast to make second class citizens of all gay people should just be ignored and forgiven? He gets a free ride? We should throw him a party? Maybe Bachman and husband can pray the gay out of him? He lies to himself and others suffer from his hate filled politics. Reality, what a concept.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Aug 24, 2011 11:19:35 AM

22. I am not defending his anti-gay votes, but, again, for people of his generation, such actions were absolutely necessary to maintain the support of their constituency AND to keep themselves free of suspicion. It was a survival strategy, the alternative to which was to lose everything.

I am not saying that he does not deserve to be held somewhat accountable, but there should also be some allowance made for the actions of men in that age group--but only for men in that age group--for the reasons I gave......You need not worry about him being destroyed politically--the right-wingers in his own party will see to that--so, in an odd way, you are in cahoots with them for hammering him the way you are.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 24, 2011 11:32:30 AM

23. no sympathy he votes antigay and then picks up men what does age have to do with it. he should if anything know better. maybe he just has a wide stance like larry craig. he and his family all knew better because they tried to bribe the kid. bull he made his bed now he can lie in it. want to bet he would be the first one screaming for execution if it was anyone else but him?

Posted by: walter | Aug 24, 2011 11:39:23 AM

24. He's probably done this before. Maybe something will come to light.

Posted by: anon | Aug 24, 2011 11:39:41 AM

25. Really still not understanding the logic. You are still defending it. Is it "You Have to Be This Old" to be a hypocritical lawmaker? Age has nothing to do with it. What if he still held and voted for anti-civil rights for blacks (or whatever)? Is that okay, because he's old and that's how it was? He willingly chose a career in politics; it was not forced on him. He's not giving us the the same benefit of "being born in a different generation and having different ideas and that's why I do thing like I do."

Posted by: Hodzer | Aug 24, 2011 11:50:35 AM