Rick Perry Signs NOM Pledge Opposing Same-Sex Marriage

Nom

Rick Perry has joined Michele Bachmann (above), Tim Pawlenty, Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney in signing an anti-gay marriage pledge drawn up by the National Organization for Marriage.

Perry In signing the pledge candidates promise to:

Support and send to the states a federal marriage amendment defining marriage as one man and one woman; Defend DOMA in court; Appoint judges and an attorney general who will respect the original meaning of the Constitution; Appoint a presidential commission to investigate harassment of traditional marriage supporters; Support legislation that would return to the people of D.C. their right to vote for marriage.

NOM President Brian Brown issued the following statement:

"Kudos to Gov. Rick Perry for making it clear: he's a marriage champion! The purpose of NOM's Marriage Pledge is to move from vague values statements to concrete actions to protect marriage. Gov. Perry joins Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum as a signer of NOM Marriage Pledge.  By doing so, Perry makes crystal clear that, contrary to the conventional wisdom, gay marriage is going to be a bigger issue in 2012 than it was in 2008, because the difference between the GOP nominee and Pres. Obama is going to be large and clear.  We look forward to demonstrating that being for marriage is a winning position for a presidential candidate."

The AP notes: "Perry had said that though he doesn't support gay marriage personally, it is a states' rights issue. He even suggested New York's decision to legalize it was therefore fine with him."

Perry later told hate group leader Tony Perkins: “I probably needed to add a few words after that ‘it’s fine with me,’ and that it’s fine with me that a state is using their sovereign rights to decide an issue. Obviously gay marriage is not fine with me. My stance hasn’t changed.”

Comments

1. Eddie in OKC says

Wouldn’t it just be deliciously ironic if this became the LOSING position for the Republican candidate?

2. dan says

i would think that signing such pledges would be a direct conflict with upholding the oath of office, therefore negating and disqualifying them from holding the highest office in the land.

3. Landon says

“it’s fine with me that a state is using their sovereign rights to decide an issue”

is in direct conflict with the pledge’s 1st requirement:

“One, support sending a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the states for ratification.”

Which is it, Perry?

4. walter says

the repuks don’t care about jobs or the economy only whom is sleeping with. considering their track record both they are in deep sh-t.

5. Trev says

This is a hate pledge. The more we say it, the more likely the media will repeat it (a la “Pray Away the Gay”).

The man has just pledged to a special interest group that he will work, as president, to deny basic human rights and full equality to an entire class of American citizens.

If we fail to make this his Achilles heel, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

6. paul says

the general public that might vote for a cretin like Perry really don’t care that much about LGBT people…it’s not a deal breaker for them. He can be as homophobic as he likes…in fact look at the bunch of them…being anti-gay is not going to lose any GOP front runner the nomination. Let’s get real here and realize the only option, whether you are happy with him or not, is Obama. There isn’t a primary to find a new democrat so your choice, Ladies and Germs is quite clear. Virulently homophobic, anti-women, anti-immigrant racist, anti government, supporter of the rich to the detriminent of everyone else, ill educated, foul mouthed, D grade student, half wit…or the suave ninja Black Assasin, Osama killing, gay friendly, cool headed, stay out of women’s reproductive rights, safe world, Nobel peace prize winner..who has a brain and is basically loved the world over.

7. Married in MA says

This may not hurt them in the GOP nomination, but it could affect the general election come November 2012. If this issue is debated, and I can certainly imagine that it will be, then it could turn off some folk. Do people really want a bigot in the White House?

8. ravewulf says

@paul Don’t go building Obama up to be better than he is. More often than not he just barely stops short of completely going along with Republican plans. He never makes the case for the progressive positions he’s supposed to represent, gave up on getting rid of the Bush tax cuts, gave up on actual financial regulation, gave up on the public option, dragged his feet on gay rights issues, etc

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still voting for him. He’s not nearly as bad as the Republicans, but that doesn’t mean he’s great or even good. Just not insane.

9. Don says

I love that No. 5 wants DC residents to have the ability to vote on gay marriage and yet it says nothing about actually giving DC residents a vote in the Congress. Cause you know…priorities.

10. David B. says

read my lips — i don’t care — wouldn’t vote for these folks ever anyway! They are preaching to the choir — president is about appealing to the Middle!

11. Laura says

Signing this document should disqualify you from being president. First, it proposes a Constitutional admendment banning SSM, then it says it will allow DC residents to vote on SSM. So which is it? People don’t get to vote on Constitutional amendments.

No one stupid enough to not understand the contradiction should be allowed to run for president.

12. Peter says

It reminds me when people are asking why Hitler was able to get to power when it was clear in the very beginning that he had an antisemitic agenda.

13. saucykitty says

I know our country has always been widely intolerant of LGBT-related issues, but this still makes me sad.

14. Mark says

If I were Obama, this would be GREAT news for me! I would have my campaign hit these thugs hard on the fact that they’ve pledged their authority to enforcing the private views of a specific, politically unaccountable group. No-one elected president is allowed to do that. So I would argue in my campaign trips that Rick Perry and anyone who has signed this pledge cannot be put in the White House. The president has only ONE pledge: to uphold the constitution of the United States (which, for those that have forgotten, includes equal protection clauses).

15. John M says

I can’t believe that not one of these candidates knows that the President has no role in sending constitutional amendments to the states. That is a power strictly given to Congress, or to the states themselves if they call for a constitutional convention. In my mind, if these candidates do not know the process of amending the Constitution, they are not qualified to be President.

16. JeffRob says

This is basically them turning to our entire community and yelling in our face: “I AM YOUR ENEMY.”

Heard ya loud and clear.

17. Rob says

It’s been in local papers that RIck Perry’s gay liaisons played a role in his divorce. Just our luck that he would fool around with one of those rare homos who can keep his mouth shut.

Come out, come out wherever you are. And let’s hope there’s a well placed bit of DNA.

18. chris says

When (2) men…or (2) women…can concieve a child…I will rethink my opion…until then Marriage is as GOD Intended…between a man & a woman…

19. gayalltheway says

@CHRIS are you for real? Or is that sarcasm? If you are really going to use the “marriage is for procreation” lame argument, this is the wrong forum for you to be in, lol.

By the way, while you are at it, tell GOD, that he/she/it can kiss my ass.

20. John Bartlett says

Perry is just another nut running for the Republican party. With on going wars, the economy failing, the marriage of small minority of people is all the Republican party can focus on? America is now seeing just how out of touch the Republican party has become.

21. Joshua says

I live in El Paso, Texas. Believe me, if this sphincter becomes president, the U.S. will enter a very dark and regressive period. Mark my words.

22. Abel says

It’s very disappointing that Perry would sign this, but I was fairly certain he would sign it. If he is elected, I hope he will just ignore it. After all, he is a duplicitous politician.

@Rob, Perry has NOT been divorced. He is still married to his only wife, though rumors of infidelity (with both sexes) have floated around for years.

23. Gianpiero says

I would love to see a photo of the pledge card with Perry’s signature like the one in this post showing Bachmann’s. It would be great to re-post on facebook to demonstrate clearly to my relatives why this man, like Romney, is unfit for president and that they shouldn’t even try talking to me about him.

24. anon says

Surely the remains of the national press will not let the Republican frontrunner dodge gay rumors forever.

25. mark says

Everytime God thinks about someone who tries to use homophobia as a political litmus test all the angels crack up.

It’s such a losing position…

All would be fine, except the laughter in heaven has now gotten so uproarious it’s damaging the Washington Monument!

:-)

26. says

The problem with the whole only men and women can conceive and that is what the bible says is that in America we have freedom of religion . One of the fundamental principles of this country, yet laws are passed based on god. I am a religious person but one has to remember freedom of religion and the freedom to not even have a religion.