Steve Jobs Resigns at Apple; Company Names Tim Cook New CEO

Steve Jobs, who took an extended leave of absence from the company he helped found in the wake of treatment for pancreatic cancer, has resigned as CEO of Apple:

Jobs To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee. As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role. I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Cook, Apple's COO, was written up by Gawker in January:

If the CEO doesn't return from his third, indefinite medical leave, COO Tim Cook will succeed him, marking a new era not only for Apple but for gay progress.

Cook, who is running Apple in Jobs' absence, has been as reticent to acknowledge his sexual orientation as he has his prowess in overseeing the company supply chain. But as Jobs fades back, and as his absences grow more prolonged and uncertain, Cook will become, by necessity, a public figure.

According to Business Wire, Apple has named Cook the new CEO.

Comments

1. Redebbm says

I Hope the best for the health of Steve Jobs, whether or not you like Apple you can’t help but admit this man indirectly and directly changed PCs, Mobile phones, Tablets, and much of consumer lives especially when it comes to music. He made Apple the largest company comeback of any recent decades.

Apple will go on, many ignore and forget that there are thousands that help to make Mac OSX and iOS along with all the hardware realities that are enjoyable to those that buy them. A special thanks to them for making Jobs visions realities.

Best of health Steve Jobs!

2. MikeBoston says

Sadly, this means that Mr. Jobs’ health continues to decline. I am glad he has chosen to step back to spend time with his family. Mr. Job is truly one of the genius’ of our times and I hope he returns to full health.

3. Mike says

Very sad – I’ve disliked some of the tactics of Apple and Jobs, but it is undeniable that Steve Jobs is that company and his vision and stewardship made it the crazy success it is today. Steve Jobs had the balls to go out on a limb and do what he thought was right – and right he was! Corporate America now is full of cowards who thrive in mediocrity.

4. David in Long Beach says

I will miss Steve Jobs at the helm of Apple, Inc. Hell, the whole world will miss him. A brilliant and extraordinary person who has contributed immensely to mankind. Here’s to *you*, Steve!

5. dms says

attmay. yes, considering it is among the largest companies in the country. Until tomorrow morning when the stock tanks.

what’s the scoop with this guy anyway? Supposedly he’s gay, but does he have a partner? (cause i’m looking!) Does he contribute to gay causes? Please don’t tell me he’s a log cabin types.

6. Paul R says

Apple stock (sales) paid for the down payment on my house. I only bought a Mac recently, and mainly because I split with my (PC) ex and everyone in the Bay Area has a Mac. This story made me sad. Jobs does not concede defeat easily, if ever. His cancer must be quite advanced.

The gay replacement isn’t as much closeted as much as a very private person. But it can readily be argued that he did more to improve Apple’s odds than Jobs—the differences in the supply chain were crucial to to success of iPods and iPhones, and that was all due to him.

7. Beau says

I sincerely hope that Steve Jobs does recover, this is truly an end of an era. But, it is truly the beginning of another. I’ve no doubts Tim Cook will do an excellent job in steering Apple towards even greater success.

8. rovex says

Isnt Jobs gay anyway? Whats changed? Apple are the worlds best marketing company. Worlds best technology company.. not so much.

Not really sure why Jobs is regarded so much Bill gates is the one giving all his money to charitable causes and a founder member of the Giving pledge. Jobs? No so much…

thing about apple is is has changed the technology market for those that use apple products, if you dont.. Not so much. these days Apple is all about stifling innovation with pointless, anti-competitive litigation.

9. Rob West says

Steve Jobs was and is a visionary and innovator of the computer world. Although I only purchased one Apple product (an iPod shuffle which my Android cell has replaced) partly because of price the other design style, not a fan of all in one design. The Macs clean design would have been ruined by all the accessories I added (20 USB ports, 4 Hard Drives, a scanner, 2 printers and Blu-Ray which the Mac doesn’t support) My PC which I built (over time) would have been too costly. As someone who has been through almost every version of Windows, since DOS 3.0 it would have taken time to adjust to the Mac OS and at that time was Black and White. Then came Windows and there was no looking back. The competition between the two helped both. Goodbye Mr. Jobs.