American Family Association | News

BigGayDeal.com

American Family Association Does Not Want to See Schweddy Balls

The American Family Association (AFA) demands that Ben & Jerry's new SNL-inspired ice cream flavor Schweddy Balls be stopped!

Schweddyballs Right Wing Watch reports:

Urging activists to demand “that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed,” the AFA wants its members to tell Ben & Jerry’s to “refrain from producing another batch with this name or any other offensive names or you will no longer be able to purchase their products.” The AFA also knocks Ben & Jerry’s Hubby Hubby ice cream, produced to raise awareness of marriage equality, and laments “that offending customers has become an annual tradition for Ben & Jerry’s”:

Ben & Jerry's announced their newest ice cream flavor which sounds anything but appealing. Schweddy Balls is the best they could come up with. The vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive. Not exactly what you want a child asking for at the supermarket.

The AFA tells its members to TAKE ACTION: "Please send Ben & Jerry's Public Relations Manager, Sean Greenwood, an email letter requesting that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed. Also, highly recommend they refrain from producing another batch with this name or any other offensive names or you will no longer be able to purchase their products."

Comments

1. I highly doubt very many children are walking into their local grocer and shouting, "I'd like some Schweddy Balls!" My God, their gay panic is bleeding into self perody.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 20, 2011 1:32:47 PM

2. Are these people actually adults? They really need to grow up and realize the problem is with them.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 20, 2011 1:39:53 PM

3. ROTFLMGAO! Like Ben and Jerry's would even give the AFA the time of day. B&J are perfectly aware of the brouhaha they are serving up with their name choices. Think they do it just to piss off the Religious Right.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Sep 20, 2011 1:42:56 PM

4. Jump the Shark Award of the day.

Posted by: Karl | Sep 20, 2011 1:44:58 PM

5. IF I could find some, I would buy a case.

Posted by: Bubba | Sep 20, 2011 1:48:26 PM

6. Just imagine if these groups spent the amount of time, energy and money that they do on this, on meaningful issues like ending war, creating peace, feeding the hungry, poor, and needy. Like Jesus would have.

Posted by: Critifur | Sep 20, 2011 1:51:18 PM

7. I'm pretty sure B&J's figured there would be howls of nutjob protests in the process of developing this product. D'uh. Maybe they could name their next flavor "NutJob" because nuts are popular in ice cream, too.

On the other hand, of course, Netflix could have seen the howls of protest coming when they made their streaming price plan change ... and now we're stuck with "Quikster" as the company rushes to backpedal.

Stick to your guns, Ben & Jerry's! In fact, after "NutJob," release one called "Ben & Jerry's B.J. Load Supreme Cream."

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 20, 2011 1:52:05 PM

8. It's not a particularly appetizing name to be sure, but you don't have to buy it.

Posted by: anon | Sep 20, 2011 2:08:30 PM

9. Just another pathetic attempt by AFA to remain relevant.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 20, 2011 2:11:50 PM

10. I doubt AFA's base buys their ice cream in pints.

They seem more like 1/2 gallon - gallon folks.

Posted by: JayJay | Sep 20, 2011 2:13:26 PM

11. No Honestly Gregoire I was in my local grocery store and a very young looking college age boy shouted "Oh YES, YES, YES! I'm going to get me some Schweddy Balls!"

UM HMMMMMMM! See the AFT was right after all!

Posted by: Mike | Sep 20, 2011 2:15:36 PM

12. Does Beb and Jerry's pay the AFA for the free publicity?

Posted by: tranquilo | Sep 20, 2011 2:17:02 PM

13. Ben :)

Posted by: tranquilo | Sep 20, 2011 2:17:30 PM

14. The Xtian nutjobs at AFA are now genuinely engaged in self-parody. Evangelical Christianity is imploding before our eyes, and it's not a pretty sight.

Posted by: Artie | Sep 20, 2011 2:18:47 PM

15. ummm they do realize that its from a Straight sketch parody on SNL?

Posted by: Gay American | Sep 20, 2011 2:25:02 PM

16. And the next thing you know they're gonna ban tampons. After all we wouldn't want little girls asking for things to stick up their hoo-hoos! Stores should only carry mayonnaise, full fat milk, jell-o, and crisco. Uh, second thought, maybe not crisco.

Posted by: dms | Sep 20, 2011 2:29:42 PM

17. Honestly, it's nice to see them offended by something that's actually offensive for once rather than being up in arms about two gay dudes kissing...

Posted by: Christopher Dilley | Sep 20, 2011 2:40:54 PM

18. I just sent a nice thank you note to Sean Greenwood courtesy of AFA's web form for their e-mail (with some minor edits, of course) and I hope they understand I appreciate their ice creams!

Posted by: Marcus | Sep 20, 2011 2:51:04 PM

19. Bubba - my hubby and I tried it last night. Its not bad...I like other B&J flavors more, but overall nice.

Tom - I think you meant to say "attain relevance"...they can't maintain that which they have never had. ;-)

Tranquilo - no, B&J pays someone to come up with really awesome names...so that the AFA can go balistic and increase their sales. For the price of a cup of coffee, they get a gallon jug...and a free donut!

And Artie - I don't know...I think it is an awesome sight: The last bastions of WTF crazy are pantomiming their own death throes. This is entertainment of the highest level! :-)

Posted by: Jay | Sep 20, 2011 3:01:12 PM

20. Not surprising that the members of the AFA don't know what to do with their Schweddy Balls! Maybe a B&J would help.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 20, 2011 3:29:48 PM

21. It's not like they have to eat the Schweddy Balls -- they could just suck on them till all the ice cream comes off then spit them out!

Posted by: Hysterical Record | Sep 20, 2011 3:37:01 PM

22. Next up, Santorum Float!

Posted by: Erik Anderson | Sep 20, 2011 3:59:18 PM

23. You would expect "family people" to be concerned with the fat and calorie content in light of the obesity epidemic. Parsing language misses the real danger.

Posted by: ty | Sep 20, 2011 4:55:12 PM

24. Personally, I never thought the skit was all that funny myself. Kind of mentally grating if you ask me, but if the AFA was really concerned about families, they would spend their time fighting domestic abuse.

Posted by: Alfonzo | Sep 20, 2011 5:56:21 PM

25. And yet, strangely, I can't help but think (since they were sure to mention "Hubbby Hubby" in their e-mail) that if the SNL skit was about some kind of baked good called Ta-tas and were made by a woman named Candy, that "Candy's Ta-Ta's" would go strangely unnoticed by the AFA.

Posted by: antisaint | Sep 20, 2011 6:01:30 PM