American Family Association Does Not Want to See Schweddy Balls

The American Family Association (AFA) demands that Ben & Jerry's new SNL-inspired ice cream flavor Schweddy Balls be stopped!

Schweddyballs Right Wing Watch reports:

Urging activists to demand “that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed,” the AFA wants its members to tell Ben & Jerry’s to “refrain from producing another batch with this name or any other offensive names or you will no longer be able to purchase their products.” The AFA also knocks Ben & Jerry’s Hubby Hubby ice cream, produced to raise awareness of marriage equality, and laments “that offending customers has become an annual tradition for Ben & Jerry’s”:

Ben & Jerry's announced their newest ice cream flavor which sounds anything but appealing. Schweddy Balls is the best they could come up with. The vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive. Not exactly what you want a child asking for at the supermarket.

The AFA tells its members to TAKE ACTION: "Please send Ben & Jerry's Public Relations Manager, Sean Greenwood, an email letter requesting that no additional Schweddy Balls ice cream be distributed. Also, highly recommend they refrain from producing another batch with this name or any other offensive names or you will no longer be able to purchase their products."

Comments

1. Gregoire says

I highly doubt very many children are walking into their local grocer and shouting, “I’d like some Schweddy Balls!” My God, their gay panic is bleeding into self perody.

2. AggieCowboy says

ROTFLMGAO! Like Ben and Jerry’s would even give the AFA the time of day. B&J are perfectly aware of the brouhaha they are serving up with their name choices. Think they do it just to piss off the Religious Right.

3. Critifur says

Just imagine if these groups spent the amount of time, energy and money that they do on this, on meaningful issues like ending war, creating peace, feeding the hungry, poor, and needy. Like Jesus would have.

4. Zlick says

I’m pretty sure B&J’s figured there would be howls of nutjob protests in the process of developing this product. D’uh. Maybe they could name their next flavor “NutJob” because nuts are popular in ice cream, too.

On the other hand, of course, Netflix could have seen the howls of protest coming when they made their streaming price plan change … and now we’re stuck with “Quikster” as the company rushes to backpedal.

Stick to your guns, Ben & Jerry’s! In fact, after “NutJob,” release one called “Ben & Jerry’s B.J. Load Supreme Cream.”

5. Mike says

No Honestly Gregoire I was in my local grocery store and a very young looking college age boy shouted “Oh YES, YES, YES! I’m going to get me some Schweddy Balls!”

UM HMMMMMMM! See the AFT was right after all!

6. dms says

And the next thing you know they’re gonna ban tampons. After all we wouldn’t want little girls asking for things to stick up their hoo-hoos! Stores should only carry mayonnaise, full fat milk, jell-o, and crisco. Uh, second thought, maybe not crisco.

7. Marcus says

I just sent a nice thank you note to Sean Greenwood courtesy of AFA’s web form for their e-mail (with some minor edits, of course) and I hope they understand I appreciate their ice creams!

8. Jay says

Bubba – my hubby and I tried it last night. Its not bad…I like other B&J flavors more, but overall nice.

Tom – I think you meant to say “attain relevance”…they can’t maintain that which they have never had. 😉

Tranquilo – no, B&J pays someone to come up with really awesome names…so that the AFA can go balistic and increase their sales. For the price of a cup of coffee, they get a gallon jug…and a free donut!

And Artie – I don’t know…I think it is an awesome sight: The last bastions of WTF crazy are pantomiming their own death throes. This is entertainment of the highest level! :-)

9. says

Personally, I never thought the skit was all that funny myself. Kind of mentally grating if you ask me, but if the AFA was really concerned about families, they would spend their time fighting domestic abuse.

10. antisaint says

And yet, strangely, I can’t help but think (since they were sure to mention “Hubbby Hubby” in their e-mail) that if the SNL skit was about some kind of baked good called Ta-tas and were made by a woman named Candy, that “Candy’s Ta-Ta’s” would go strangely unnoticed by the AFA.

11. G.I. Joe says

a/ Children wouldn’t get the reference anyway

b/ Christianists aren’t B&J’s target market. Teens and young people are. And teens and young people will chuckle at the name.

12. William says

Ben & Jerry’s ice cream already offends me by the price of their products, so I won’t buy it. What do I care what offense anyone else has to attribute to their products?

13. DarthCalvin says

Seriously? I’m sorry but the AFA doesn’t speak for me anymore than the Freaks of Westburo do…lighten up. Its a skit hat tip…even normal Christians can see the humor in the name.

14. contragenic says

Who is the you in,”you will no longer be able to purchase their products”,because it certainly is not me.I will do as I damn well please,and I will stand in line to do something that pisses off the xians. Go Ben & Jerry’s!!

15. Jakob says

You guys tell everyone to boycott so many things! for what purpose? to shield our children from being exposed to what they will be exposed to later on in life? why do that? children who are shielded so much are the ones who rebel and turn to violence! Everyone tries to shield there kids from reality to “protect” them. Maybe they dont need to be protected. You expose them to school, friends, other adults, do you think that they say everything that you consider “good” at all time? no, most likly they are talking about stuff that your kids know that they cant say in front of you parents so they hide what there friends and them talk about, therfor they are hiding stuff from you and its all you, as the parents, fault! Your the reasons kids hides stuff from parents! not society, not other people, its the partents! They hide stuff because they dont feel comfortable talking about stuff with you becuase you try to aviod or pretend certain things dont exsist! Remember, its all the parents fault! Dont get upset when your children and yours relaionship fail by the time he turns ten!

16. Dale says

The funny about this is that if you aren’t in on the joke, you’re not really going to know what this means. Oh, those crazy people and the time they have on their hands!!