Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | New York | News

Brad Pitt Blasts Religious Bigotry, Government on Same-Sex Marriage: 'What Are You So Afraid Of?'

In the new issue of Parade magazine, Brad Pitt talks about how he split with religion when he realized it couldn't answer basic questions that he had:

Pitt Said Pitt:

“My religion was telling me what not to do—what not to even think about doing. Those are the things I would try, because that was my nature. I had to experience things to know what would work for me—say, something as simple as premarital sex. I can figure out what works or doesn’t work. I will know. You say that something is wrong for me to do? Well, I know it’s not wrong because I just did it. Then you say something else is also wrong? Yeah, I did that too, and you’re right, it is wrong for me. But it wasn’t wrong just because you told me it was.”

He also had questions about same-sex marriage:

“What are you so afraid of? That’s my question. Gay people getting married? What is so scary about that? It’s complicated.  You grow up in a religion like that and you try to pray the gay away. I feel sadness for people like that. This is where people start short-circuiting—instead of being brave and questioning their beliefs, they are afraid and feel that they have to defend them.

“I don’t mind a world with religion in it. There are some beautiful tenets within all religions.  What I get hot about is when they start dictating how other people must live. People suffer because of it. They are spreading misery.

On the continuing battle for equality:

“Can you believe that we’re still fighting for equality in America? To be against marriage for everyone is utter discrimination.  I feel strongly about that because if equality of marriage doesn’t happen now, the next generation will have to deal with it.

“It is an amazing thing that New York has finally gotten same-sex marriage. But the real problem is that the federal government hides behind states on this issue. It is blatant, ugly bigotry, and the federal government shouldn’t be doing that. You’re denying some Americans the right that all Americans have, to live their lives as they choose.

Brad Pitt to the World: Open Your Eyes [parade]

Comments

1. Aaaaand cue the American Family Association calling for a boycott of "Moneyball" in 5...4...3...

Posted by: TPOWW | Sep 16, 2011 6:00:58 PM

2. I am going to call for a boycott of Moneyball based on his comments about our Jen! Way to leave out the really substantive and provocative parts of the article Towleroad. Forget the pandering paragraphs about gay marriage, what about the fairy tale wedding that he and that tramp broke up. Talk about disgracing the institution of marriage. He is the last one to take advise from. Thanks but no thanks.

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 6:04:22 PM

3. Oh, please, enough comments about "our" poor Jen! She seems clingy and not exactly Ms. Excitement and, no offense, but we'd all get bored with her, too.

Brad: "I spent the '90s trying to hide out, trying to duck the full celebrity cacophony. I started to get sick of myself sitting on a couch, holding a joint, hiding out. It started feeling pathetic. It became very clear to me that I was intent on trying to find a movie about an interesting life, but I wasn't living an interesting life myself. I think that my marriage to Jennifer had something to do with it. Trying to pretend the marriage was something that it wasn't... I'm satisfied with making true choices and finding the woman I love, Angie, and building a family that I love so much."

That doesn't sound like a bad guy. It's a guy being honest about making mistakes and then finding his life.

And, yes, thank you Brad for always being on the side of gay equality. He's not doing this to win an award. He's a straight guy who actually believes it.

Posted by: will | Sep 16, 2011 6:17:22 PM

4. I used to be prejudiced against Brad Pitt, I thought he was just another dumb pretty boy. I am very glad every time I read (or watch) an interview that shows me how wrong I was about him.

Posted by: M | Sep 16, 2011 6:21:06 PM

5. Te quiero Brad Pitt!

Posted by: pedro | Sep 16, 2011 6:33:21 PM

6. Yes, I'm the same Lisa G spewing garbage all over this blog again. Remember me from the Chaz Bono comments section. Ya'all hated me there and I'll do my best to make sure you feel the same way here.
    I'm a stay at home mom...finger up my ass...bottle of beer in my other hand...or is it the other way around?
    Dah...when will the ever mail me my GED???

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 6:52:38 PM

7. He donated $100,000 to fight Prop. 8 (not his fault it was spent so poorly).

How much did you give?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 16, 2011 6:54:35 PM

8. @6:52 - I am flattered by your imitation. Just because you dont like what I have to say, you start hitting with the personal smear attacks. So typical. I am just here to stick up for poor Jen and not let everybody forget what she went through.

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 6:55:10 PM

9. I'm not sure who's pretending to me here, but I don't find it funny at all. I'm a real person with real feelings and although Maggie & I know each other "in that way"...I'm not a lesbian. I may be into other kinky NOM fetishes...but not that!!
    I wish you would all just love me for who I am!!!
    Love & Peace...Lisa G

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 7:04:46 PM

10. What is the saying? Feed a cold, starve a troll?

Posted by: TJ | Sep 16, 2011 7:06:59 PM

11. @ 7:04 - Oh how dare you cross the line like that! I am shocked and or appalled by your lack of sensitivity. Rather than engage in a rational discussion, you opt to play stupid games. Fine, keep posting disgusting muff diving references. You are only debasing yourself, whoever you are ;-)

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 7:08:52 PM

12. @Lisa G: "Poor Jen?!?" Not according to the trades. I believe that she was earning $2,000,000.00 per episode during her final years on "Friends," in addition to the millions she has earned for her movies, which, with the exception of "The Good Girl," didn't garner her great critical acclaim, so I assume that she wasn't spending money on acting lessons, intelligent, well written scripts, etc. I don't recall her ever supporting equality or giving substantial sums to charities over the years. Perhaps too busy cavorting with Chelsea in Cabo? Angelina and Brad do support equality, they do contribute large sums to charity and also spend time supoorting various causes. What, pray tell, do you do? Unless you personally witnessed what went on in the Anniston-Pitt marriage, and you personally know Anniston, Pitt and Angelina Jolie, you should keep your stupid, judgmental opinions to yourself. Calling Angelina a "tramp" just exposes your incredible ignorance and stupidity. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Get a life! JeffR

Posted by: Jeff R | Sep 16, 2011 7:20:07 PM

13. @Jeff...Thanks Jeff, I really needed to hear that. Are you available for snacks?
    X0X0
    Lisa G

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 7:25:10 PM

14. @ Jeff, when I say poor Jen, I am not refering to her financial status, I am talking about the tremendous emotional toll she has taken over the years. I dont care how much money Brad Pitt has given to charity, the point is he is a poor role model for giving advise on the subject of marriage, when he showed so little respect for his own, casting aside our Jen like a toy he was bored with. Shame on him. As for her money, what Jen does with it is her own business and I do not judge her on how much she has, how she earned it or how she chooses to spend it.

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 16, 2011 7:27:12 PM

15. Wow - this thread has really diverged from the content of the post. I usually find Brad pretty bland but have to say that I appreciate his support around the issue of marriage equality. He seems to get it - and that just won me over a bit.

Posted by: mike128 | Sep 16, 2011 7:42:40 PM

16. Lisa G., I hope you don't give advice on the subject of spelling.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 16, 2011 7:43:30 PM

17. @ZLICK...wat's rong wit my spealing? I jut tink Brad shouldnt be bad wit jen.

Posted by: LISA G | Sep 16, 2011 7:48:06 PM

18. Lisa G

what about the parts of the article where he said basically jen was a self centered bore who was dragging him down to the point where he wasn't living

:-P

Team Brangelina all the way while aniston is throwing herself into every bed she can find

Posted by: say what | Sep 16, 2011 8:09:26 PM

19. He seems like a pretty good guy and I appreciate his support. Celebs are often criticized for expressing their views, but perhaps there are a few of his fans who might take his advice and question the beliefs they've been handed.

I also like the quote "Then you say something else is also wrong? Yeah, I did that too, and you’re right, it is wrong for me. But it wasn’t wrong just because you told me it was.” God, please let that be a reference to a same sex encounter!

Posted by: ian | Sep 16, 2011 9:14:05 PM

20. While it's nice to see Brad's comments, why hasn't he contributed in the movie world? He's had plenty of opportunities to play gay or bisexual men but has, to my knowledge, not accepted them. If anyone can point out otherwise, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Also, have you noticed how his partner Angelina was allowed to dabble in female bisexuality and still get the accolades? If Brad had dabbled in male bisexuality, he would have been treated as controversial and concerning.

All in all, it appears that Brad is just another part of the heternormative-marketing machine that is Hollywood - especially in terms of male sexuality.

Posted by: jason | Sep 16, 2011 9:43:37 PM

21. And if he polayed gay or bisexual me you'd complain that he stole a part destined for a gay or bisexual actor.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 16, 2011 10:08:02 PM

22. @LisaG: Let me spell it out for you: You do not care how much money "poor Jen" makes, how she spends it, etc., but you cast aspersions about Angelina being a "tramp." Hypocrite. If you're going to be so judgmental, be an equal opportunity paragon of virtue. How do we say John Mayer?!? Do you know Angelina? How do you know she's a "tramp?" Who are you to judge her? Are you sure that "poor Jen" is such a paragon of virtue? How do you know? Neither of have any idea what the actual truth of the story is and really, why should we care?!? I'm not a fan of either Pitt or Anniston - I am a fan of Angelina - but he supports my community so I support him. I think that you should seriously reconsider your unflinching support of someone who was involved with John Mayer - read his comments about past lovers! With regard to the "woe is me" "poor Jen" BS saga that you embrace, I suggest that you review the Debbie Reynolds/Elizabeth Taylor/Eddie Fisher scandal. Debbie was the orginal "poor Jen." Dame Elizabeth proved herself to be a great humanitarian and contributed something of value during her life. Ms. Reynolds made racist comments about Hispanics, gave her daughter fodder for her novels, plays and one woman shows, and as recent television appearances have shown, while very funny and witty she's not exactly Mary Poppins. Once again, get a life! Do some charity work. Whatever. You are not a part of "poor Jen's" life and world. JeffR

Posted by: Jeff R | Sep 17, 2011 12:38:39 AM

23. To all the other commentators: I apologize for getting off topic but I think that it's important to defend Angelina - she supports our community and has also repeatedly and proudly acknowledged and defended her lesbian relationships - something VERY rare in today's Hollywood. How do we say Luke Evans? Best, JeffR

Posted by: Jeff R | Sep 17, 2011 12:42:43 AM

24. if you had to make a choice between burning a bible and burning a human being, which would you choose? if the choice was between burning a hundred bibles and burning a human being, which would you choose? if the choice was between burning ALL the bibles and burning a human being, which would you choose?

if you chose to burn the bibles every time, you made the right choice.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 17, 2011 4:45:02 AM

25. and if there was one bible left in the whole world, and you had to make a choice between burning that bible and burning a human being, i sincerely hope you would burn the bible and scatter its ashes, rather than do that to a human being.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 17, 2011 4:53:08 AM