Brad Pitt Blasts Religious Bigotry, Government on Same-Sex Marriage: ‘What Are You So Afraid Of?’

In the new issue of Parade magazine, Brad Pitt talks about how he split with religion when he realized it couldn't answer basic questions that he had:

Pitt Said Pitt:

“My religion was telling me what not to do—what not to even think about doing. Those are the things I would try, because that was my nature. I had to experience things to know what would work for me—say, something as simple as premarital sex. I can figure out what works or doesn’t work. I will know. You say that something is wrong for me to do? Well, I know it’s not wrong because I just did it. Then you say something else is also wrong? Yeah, I did that too, and you’re right, it is wrong for me. But it wasn’t wrong just because you told me it was.”

He also had questions about same-sex marriage:

“What are you so afraid of? That’s my question. Gay people getting married? What is so scary about that? It’s complicated.  You grow up in a religion like that and you try to pray the gay away. I feel sadness for people like that. This is where people start short-circuiting—instead of being brave and questioning their beliefs, they are afraid and feel that they have to defend them.

“I don’t mind a world with religion in it. There are some beautiful tenets within all religions.  What I get hot about is when they start dictating how other people must live. People suffer because of it. They are spreading misery.

On the continuing battle for equality:

“Can you believe that we’re still fighting for equality in America? To be against marriage for everyone is utter discrimination.  I feel strongly about that because if equality of marriage doesn’t happen now, the next generation will have to deal with it.

“It is an amazing thing that New York has finally gotten same-sex marriage. But the real problem is that the federal government hides behind states on this issue. It is blatant, ugly bigotry, and the federal government shouldn’t be doing that. You’re denying some Americans the right that all Americans have, to live their lives as they choose.

Brad Pitt to the World: Open Your Eyes [parade]

Comments

1. Lisa G says

I am going to call for a boycott of Moneyball based on his comments about our Jen! Way to leave out the really substantive and provocative parts of the article Towleroad. Forget the pandering paragraphs about gay marriage, what about the fairy tale wedding that he and that tramp broke up. Talk about disgracing the institution of marriage. He is the last one to take advise from. Thanks but no thanks.

2. will says

Oh, please, enough comments about “our” poor Jen! She seems clingy and not exactly Ms. Excitement and, no offense, but we’d all get bored with her, too.

Brad: “I spent the ’90s trying to hide out, trying to duck the full celebrity cacophony. I started to get sick of myself sitting on a couch, holding a joint, hiding out. It started feeling pathetic. It became very clear to me that I was intent on trying to find a movie about an interesting life, but I wasn’t living an interesting life myself. I think that my marriage to Jennifer had something to do with it. Trying to pretend the marriage was something that it wasn’t… I’m satisfied with making true choices and finding the woman I love, Angie, and building a family that I love so much.”

That doesn’t sound like a bad guy. It’s a guy being honest about making mistakes and then finding his life.

And, yes, thank you Brad for always being on the side of gay equality. He’s not doing this to win an award. He’s a straight guy who actually believes it.

3. M says

I used to be prejudiced against Brad Pitt, I thought he was just another dumb pretty boy. I am very glad every time I read (or watch) an interview that shows me how wrong I was about him.

4. Lisa G says

Yes, I’m the same Lisa G spewing garbage all over this blog again. Remember me from the Chaz Bono comments section. Ya’all hated me there and I’ll do my best to make sure you feel the same way here.
    I’m a stay at home mom…finger up my ass…bottle of beer in my other hand…or is it the other way around?
    Dah…when will the ever mail me my GED???

5. Lisa G says

@6:52 – I am flattered by your imitation. Just because you dont like what I have to say, you start hitting with the personal smear attacks. So typical. I am just here to stick up for poor Jen and not let everybody forget what she went through.

6. Lisa G says

I’m not sure who’s pretending to me here, but I don’t find it funny at all. I’m a real person with real feelings and although Maggie & I know each other “in that way”…I’m not a lesbian. I may be into other kinky NOM fetishes…but not that!!
    I wish you would all just love me for who I am!!!
    Love & Peace…Lisa G

7. Lisa G says

@ 7:04 – Oh how dare you cross the line like that! I am shocked and or appalled by your lack of sensitivity. Rather than engage in a rational discussion, you opt to play stupid games. Fine, keep posting disgusting muff diving references. You are only debasing yourself, whoever you are 😉

8. Jeff R says

@Lisa G: “Poor Jen?!?” Not according to the trades. I believe that she was earning $2,000,000.00 per episode during her final years on “Friends,” in addition to the millions she has earned for her movies, which, with the exception of “The Good Girl,” didn’t garner her great critical acclaim, so I assume that she wasn’t spending money on acting lessons, intelligent, well written scripts, etc. I don’t recall her ever supporting equality or giving substantial sums to charities over the years. Perhaps too busy cavorting with Chelsea in Cabo? Angelina and Brad do support equality, they do contribute large sums to charity and also spend time supoorting various causes. What, pray tell, do you do? Unless you personally witnessed what went on in the Anniston-Pitt marriage, and you personally know Anniston, Pitt and Angelina Jolie, you should keep your stupid, judgmental opinions to yourself. Calling Angelina a “tramp” just exposes your incredible ignorance and stupidity. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Get a life! JeffR

9. says

@ Jeff, when I say poor Jen, I am not refering to her financial status, I am talking about the tremendous emotional toll she has taken over the years. I dont care how much money Brad Pitt has given to charity, the point is he is a poor role model for giving advise on the subject of marriage, when he showed so little respect for his own, casting aside our Jen like a toy he was bored with. Shame on him. As for her money, what Jen does with it is her own business and I do not judge her on how much she has, how she earned it or how she chooses to spend it.

10. mike128 says

Wow – this thread has really diverged from the content of the post. I usually find Brad pretty bland but have to say that I appreciate his support around the issue of marriage equality. He seems to get it – and that just won me over a bit.

11. say what says

Lisa G

what about the parts of the article where he said basically jen was a self centered bore who was dragging him down to the point where he wasn’t living

😛

Team Brangelina all the way while aniston is throwing herself into every bed she can find

12. ian says

He seems like a pretty good guy and I appreciate his support. Celebs are often criticized for expressing their views, but perhaps there are a few of his fans who might take his advice and question the beliefs they’ve been handed.

I also like the quote “Then you say something else is also wrong? Yeah, I did that too, and you’re right, it is wrong for me. But it wasn’t wrong just because you told me it was.” God, please let that be a reference to a same sex encounter!

13. jason says

While it’s nice to see Brad’s comments, why hasn’t he contributed in the movie world? He’s had plenty of opportunities to play gay or bisexual men but has, to my knowledge, not accepted them. If anyone can point out otherwise, I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Also, have you noticed how his partner Angelina was allowed to dabble in female bisexuality and still get the accolades? If Brad had dabbled in male bisexuality, he would have been treated as controversial and concerning.

All in all, it appears that Brad is just another part of the heternormative-marketing machine that is Hollywood – especially in terms of male sexuality.

14. Jeff R says

@LisaG: Let me spell it out for you: You do not care how much money “poor Jen” makes, how she spends it, etc., but you cast aspersions about Angelina being a “tramp.” Hypocrite. If you’re going to be so judgmental, be an equal opportunity paragon of virtue. How do we say John Mayer?!? Do you know Angelina? How do you know she’s a “tramp?” Who are you to judge her? Are you sure that “poor Jen” is such a paragon of virtue? How do you know? Neither of have any idea what the actual truth of the story is and really, why should we care?!? I’m not a fan of either Pitt or Anniston – I am a fan of Angelina – but he supports my community so I support him. I think that you should seriously reconsider your unflinching support of someone who was involved with John Mayer – read his comments about past lovers! With regard to the “woe is me” “poor Jen” BS saga that you embrace, I suggest that you review the Debbie Reynolds/Elizabeth Taylor/Eddie Fisher scandal. Debbie was the orginal “poor Jen.” Dame Elizabeth proved herself to be a great humanitarian and contributed something of value during her life. Ms. Reynolds made racist comments about Hispanics, gave her daughter fodder for her novels, plays and one woman shows, and as recent television appearances have shown, while very funny and witty she’s not exactly Mary Poppins. Once again, get a life! Do some charity work. Whatever. You are not a part of “poor Jen’s” life and world. JeffR

15. Jeff R says

To all the other commentators: I apologize for getting off topic but I think that it’s important to defend Angelina – she supports our community and has also repeatedly and proudly acknowledged and defended her lesbian relationships – something VERY rare in today’s Hollywood. How do we say Luke Evans? Best, JeffR

16. ophu says

if you had to make a choice between burning a bible and burning a human being, which would you choose? if the choice was between burning a hundred bibles and burning a human being, which would you choose? if the choice was between burning ALL the bibles and burning a human being, which would you choose?

if you chose to burn the bibles every time, you made the right choice.

17. ophu says

and if there was one bible left in the whole world, and you had to make a choice between burning that bible and burning a human being, i sincerely hope you would burn the bible and scatter its ashes, rather than do that to a human being.

18. booka says

I just have to say something here; after reading about such a wonderful, well balanced, intelligent man as Mr. Pitt; I made the mistake of reading the comments. From my understanding of the term internet “Troll” is is a person that feeds off the reactions of others, and in so doing promotes themselves as being ‘clever’, witty or provocative. When in fact these pathetic idiots are obtuse, bitter and myopic. This appears to be the glaring case of “Lisa G.”. Who, for lack of her/his own life is set to pollute the internet with idiotic drivel in a effort to inflate her/his self importance. A shame that the venue for this cretins adventure is the account of such a kind, thoughtful, humane person as Mr. Pitt.

19. says

What the hell is going on here? I swear it’s like all the insane lunatics like Jason who’ve destroyed the Queerty comment sections with insane and unrelated-to-the-topic-at-hand comments have moved en masse here today. Editors, please don’t let them do to Towleroad what they’ve done to Queerty!

20. say what says

ophu

not sure how your posts tie into this subject

BUT, on your posts =

Why burn the bibles? That gives them too much credit as being something important. Rather relegate them to the myth section of librarys along with Odin, The Olympians, Egyptian myths etc

21. John B says

It was subtle, though surely the Rice Vampire movie with Tom Cruise counts as a gay sexual relationship. Though, yeah, right, vampires don’t have genital sex. So, I guess it didn’t count. Though, Tom Cruise certainly was smitten. And Mr. Pitt took all the glory while hating every minute of it (so he said), so it could count as a crossing to unknown territories of love unrequited.

22. jason says

I have never seen Brad Pitt in a same-sex on-screen relationship. One suspects that he’s avoided them. I will give him kudos for standing up for gay marriage rights, though.

As for Angelina, she amply demonstrates the bisexual double standard that exists in Hollywood. She went on to bigger and better things. Imagine if it were a man. I doubt that he would have gotten as far up the ladder as Angelina did.

As far as I’m concerned, Hollywood can go to hell. It is one of the most homophobic institutions in America when it comes to male-male sexuality.

23. ophu says

@say what: all the bibles and all the religions in the world are not worth the price of a single life lost to school bullying and/or religious discrimination. i have nothing against the concept of religion itself, but it is not worth the price that has been paid by those not in it (as well as those who are), on the account of those persecuting them. it would be better to burn all the religious books, rather than have people put to death as witches, heretics and sexual deviants.

24. Kim says

iINParade magazine he was not asked about his marriage or his ex. He was asked about charity work on page 14. In your younger days , you were not known for charity. Was there an event that changed how you saw yourself in the world” He responded I spent the 90’s….The quote that caused the controversy.BTW Lisa your idol Jen was hooking up with a man who was living with his GF of 14 years Justin and Heidi Bivens.They weren’t married so I guess she isdn’t a homewrecker. BTW Heidi moved out in June.H was spotted at Jen”s love nest in May . My comment is in response to Lisa G. Having problems with this phone I ‘m looking at my copy of Parade magazine Brad vnever mentions Jennifer Anniston.Read the interview not some excerpts edited online

25. ophu says

@say what: of course, i am speaking in pure hyperbole, but you know that there are people dying because of religious persecution. if it would save these people’s lives (without opening a new can of worms), i would readily burn all of the religious books. but that is how i am. i place human life above religion in value, easily. not that i’m saying you don’t, of course.

26. Kim says

Poor Jen is a homewrecker.She bought a BF I see Justin is in GQ and has signed with CAA. A D list actor that 95% of the people who follow celebs had never heard of. If Angie is a homewrecker than Jen is one also. Justin was in a 14 yr relationship and she has never denied being a homewrecker yet her PR will deny she is adopting or on a baby food diet. Yet one deny this rumor. I wonder why

27. Kim says

To Jason so you think an actor playing gay demonstrates his committment to gay rights. So Jim Carrey, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Ed Harris, Greg Kiner, Colin Firth, etc are to be praised because the played gay for pay. Whereas Brad who has donated money and spoken about gay rights in several interviews should be dismissed. WOW. I want to apologize for bringing up Jennifer Aniston but I just read the Parade magazine interview with Brad pitt and was outraged how he was criticized by people who had never read interview.Sorry for ranting

28. Kim says

Lisa G Brad Pitt’s interview is at Parade.com Please tell me where he insults his ex wife or provide a link to any negative statement he has ever made about her . Thank you. i will be waiting w/ baited breath

29. Den says

Unless we happen to have first hand experience of being involved in the lives of celebrities, we shouldn’t comment on their relationships or seek to lay the ‘blame game’ – we simply don’t and cannot know th real full truths about their lives regardless of how much celebrity media reporting we read.

30. Shello says

What he said in that paragraph is basically what it is all about. That is one powerful sentence there that should be READ by everyone, even the ignorant, the misinformed and the unintelligent.

31. just_a_guy says

Bravo, Brad Pitt.

And I also think it’d be cool for you to play a part as a gay or bisexual man, because it is part of the human condition.

I’m not a big movie buff, though, and my gut is that you’ve already played a character with some bisexual tendencies / tension, but it was probably subtext and not acknowledged.

In any case, you seem to be an honest guy. Hollywood needs more like you.

And more actors with a soul like you, even if they haven’t reached your success level. An actor should not need to be unbreakable like you in order to speak up for others and say screw-you to stupid establishment bigotry.

Mr. Pitt, you are in a position to do good, and I hope you continue to show such leadership. Thank you.

P.S. As for Bradifer, c’mon folks, they had a marriage that cracked. Stop rehashing it. Leave them alone. They are PEOPLE, flaws and all. Let them be, Lisa G.

32. Oliver says

Somewhat surprised to see this in Parade. I always think of that publication as being very mainstream America and very milk-toast.
    Kudos to them (and to Brad, of course)!

33. LISA G says

Okay, let’s just forget about Jen and her little circle of “friends” like Kathy Najimy for the moment and focus on what Brad said. How liberal and tolerant he is, rejecting Christian morality because he knows what “works” for him. Well, Brad, if it’s okay for you to reject Christian morality because it says that its wrong for married people to cheat on their wives with bimbos, why isn’t it okay for people who reject liberal morality to believe that gay marriage is wrong? Or is it that only conservative values are “relative,” but liberal values are “absolute”? Stick to baring your very nice tush in movies, Brad; you ain’t cuttin’ it as a moral philosopher!

34. Ginger says

enough of Jen,it’s about Brad. Brad spoke from his mouth, and what he said really sounds like a backwards emotions. If HE felt bored, he should of left the marriage before he went with Angie. But he didn’t have the balls. Second, we don’t need him to prove his devoted love OVER & OVER. That he has proven already. His dedication to God has left, so he should just leave that alone. Since he was raised with it, he should know, it’s not a religion, it’s a relationship…yet Brad stays away from that term at all cost. He either feels the heat of his choice, or karma is coming close.

35. Flu-Bird says

Pitt just another overpaid actor is a big big version of LETS PRETEND and he pretends to be one of the greatest persons in the world When in reality he is nothing but a big time show off