Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | New York | News

Brad Pitt Blasts Religious Bigotry, Government on Same-Sex Marriage: 'What Are You So Afraid Of?'

In the new issue of Parade magazine, Brad Pitt talks about how he split with religion when he realized it couldn't answer basic questions that he had:

Pitt Said Pitt:

“My religion was telling me what not to do—what not to even think about doing. Those are the things I would try, because that was my nature. I had to experience things to know what would work for me—say, something as simple as premarital sex. I can figure out what works or doesn’t work. I will know. You say that something is wrong for me to do? Well, I know it’s not wrong because I just did it. Then you say something else is also wrong? Yeah, I did that too, and you’re right, it is wrong for me. But it wasn’t wrong just because you told me it was.”

He also had questions about same-sex marriage:

“What are you so afraid of? That’s my question. Gay people getting married? What is so scary about that? It’s complicated.  You grow up in a religion like that and you try to pray the gay away. I feel sadness for people like that. This is where people start short-circuiting—instead of being brave and questioning their beliefs, they are afraid and feel that they have to defend them.

“I don’t mind a world with religion in it. There are some beautiful tenets within all religions.  What I get hot about is when they start dictating how other people must live. People suffer because of it. They are spreading misery.

On the continuing battle for equality:

“Can you believe that we’re still fighting for equality in America? To be against marriage for everyone is utter discrimination.  I feel strongly about that because if equality of marriage doesn’t happen now, the next generation will have to deal with it.

“It is an amazing thing that New York has finally gotten same-sex marriage. But the real problem is that the federal government hides behind states on this issue. It is blatant, ugly bigotry, and the federal government shouldn’t be doing that. You’re denying some Americans the right that all Americans have, to live their lives as they choose.

Brad Pitt to the World: Open Your Eyes [parade]

Comments

1. Jeff R -- SING OUT LOUISE!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 17, 2011 8:42:44 AM

2. I just have to say something here; after reading about such a wonderful, well balanced, intelligent man as Mr. Pitt; I made the mistake of reading the comments. From my understanding of the term internet "Troll" is is a person that feeds off the reactions of others, and in so doing promotes themselves as being 'clever', witty or provocative. When in fact these pathetic idiots are obtuse, bitter and myopic. This appears to be the glaring case of "Lisa G.". Who, for lack of her/his own life is set to pollute the internet with idiotic drivel in a effort to inflate her/his self importance. A shame that the venue for this cretins adventure is the account of such a kind, thoughtful, humane person as Mr. Pitt.

Posted by: booka | Sep 17, 2011 9:47:15 AM

3. What the hell is going on here? I swear it's like all the insane lunatics like Jason who've destroyed the Queerty comment sections with insane and unrelated-to-the-topic-at-hand comments have moved en masse here today. Editors, please don't let them do to Towleroad what they've done to Queerty!

Posted by: james_from_cambridge | Sep 17, 2011 10:21:19 AM

4. ophu

not sure how your posts tie into this subject

BUT, on your posts =

Why burn the bibles? That gives them too much credit as being something important. Rather relegate them to the myth section of librarys along with Odin, The Olympians, Egyptian myths etc

Posted by: say what | Sep 17, 2011 10:44:17 AM

5. It was subtle, though surely the Rice Vampire movie with Tom Cruise counts as a gay sexual relationship. Though, yeah, right, vampires don't have genital sex. So, I guess it didn't count. Though, Tom Cruise certainly was smitten. And Mr. Pitt took all the glory while hating every minute of it (so he said), so it could count as a crossing to unknown territories of love unrequited.

Posted by: John B | Sep 17, 2011 10:46:22 AM

6. I have never seen Brad Pitt in a same-sex on-screen relationship. One suspects that he's avoided them. I will give him kudos for standing up for gay marriage rights, though.

As for Angelina, she amply demonstrates the bisexual double standard that exists in Hollywood. She went on to bigger and better things. Imagine if it were a man. I doubt that he would have gotten as far up the ladder as Angelina did.

As far as I'm concerned, Hollywood can go to hell. It is one of the most homophobic institutions in America when it comes to male-male sexuality.

Posted by: jason | Sep 17, 2011 10:54:59 AM

7. @say what: all the bibles and all the religions in the world are not worth the price of a single life lost to school bullying and/or religious discrimination. i have nothing against the concept of religion itself, but it is not worth the price that has been paid by those not in it (as well as those who are), on the account of those persecuting them. it would be better to burn all the religious books, rather than have people put to death as witches, heretics and sexual deviants.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 17, 2011 1:40:24 PM

8. iINParade magazine he was not asked about his marriage or his ex. He was asked about charity work on page 14. In your younger days , you were not known for charity. Was there an event that changed how you saw yourself in the world" He responded I spent the 90's....The quote that caused the controversy.BTW Lisa your idol Jen was hooking up with a man who was living with his GF of 14 years Justin and Heidi Bivens.They weren't married so I guess she isdn't a homewrecker. BTW Heidi moved out in June.H was spotted at Jen"s love nest in May . My comment is in response to Lisa G. Having problems with this phone I 'm looking at my copy of Parade magazine Brad vnever mentions Jennifer Anniston.Read the interview not some excerpts edited online

Posted by: Kim | Sep 17, 2011 1:58:57 PM

9. @say what: of course, i am speaking in pure hyperbole, but you know that there are people dying because of religious persecution. if it would save these people's lives (without opening a new can of worms), i would readily burn all of the religious books. but that is how i am. i place human life above religion in value, easily. not that i'm saying you don't, of course.

Posted by: ophu | Sep 17, 2011 2:00:49 PM

10. Poor Jen is a homewrecker.She bought a BF I see Justin is in GQ and has signed with CAA. A D list actor that 95% of the people who follow celebs had never heard of. If Angie is a homewrecker than Jen is one also. Justin was in a 14 yr relationship and she has never denied being a homewrecker yet her PR will deny she is adopting or on a baby food diet. Yet one deny this rumor. I wonder why

Posted by: Kim | Sep 17, 2011 2:05:53 PM

11. To Jason so you think an actor playing gay demonstrates his committment to gay rights. So Jim Carrey, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tom Hanks, Ed Harris, Greg Kiner, Colin Firth, etc are to be praised because the played gay for pay. Whereas Brad who has donated money and spoken about gay rights in several interviews should be dismissed. WOW. I want to apologize for bringing up Jennifer Aniston but I just read the Parade magazine interview with Brad pitt and was outraged how he was criticized by people who had never read interview.Sorry for ranting

Posted by: Kim | Sep 17, 2011 2:20:02 PM

12. Lisa G Brad Pitt's interview is at Parade.com Please tell me where he insults his ex wife or provide a link to any negative statement he has ever made about her . Thank you. i will be waiting w/ baited breath

Posted by: Kim | Sep 17, 2011 5:04:07 PM

13. Brad has always been supportive. Thanks Brad and we're happy your one of our intelligent allies.

Posted by: Peter | Sep 17, 2011 6:36:06 PM

14. He's my Hero. Thank you, Brad...

Posted by: Bill Michael | Sep 18, 2011 2:22:32 AM

15. Unless we happen to have first hand experience of being involved in the lives of celebrities, we shouldn't comment on their relationships or seek to lay the 'blame game' - we simply don't and cannot know th real full truths about their lives regardless of how much celebrity media reporting we read.

Posted by: Den | Sep 18, 2011 5:02:00 AM

16. What he said in that paragraph is basically what it is all about. That is one powerful sentence there that should be READ by everyone, even the ignorant, the misinformed and the unintelligent.

Posted by: Shello | Sep 18, 2011 9:21:46 AM

17. Bravo, Brad Pitt.

And I also think it'd be cool for you to play a part as a gay or bisexual man, because it is part of the human condition.

I'm not a big movie buff, though, and my gut is that you've already played a character with some bisexual tendencies / tension, but it was probably subtext and not acknowledged.

In any case, you seem to be an honest guy. Hollywood needs more like you.

And more actors with a soul like you, even if they haven't reached your success level. An actor should not need to be unbreakable like you in order to speak up for others and say screw-you to stupid establishment bigotry.

Mr. Pitt, you are in a position to do good, and I hope you continue to show such leadership. Thank you.

P.S. As for Bradifer, c'mon folks, they had a marriage that cracked. Stop rehashing it. Leave them alone. They are PEOPLE, flaws and all. Let them be, Lisa G.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 18, 2011 2:36:01 PM

18. He has been a strong advocate for equality for some time. Good for him and hopefully he can influence people.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 18, 2011 2:43:31 PM

19. I am with you !!! Boycott moneyball. Brad Pitt has no respect for his marriage to Jen and no respect for the person he is shacking with now. He is dirt.

Posted by: Lisa | Sep 18, 2011 3:11:37 PM

20. Somewhat surprised to see this in Parade. I always think of that publication as being very mainstream America and very milk-toast.
    Kudos to them (and to Brad, of course)!

Posted by: Oliver | Sep 18, 2011 4:48:43 PM

21. Okay, let's just forget about Jen and her little circle of "friends" like Kathy Najimy for the moment and focus on what Brad said. How liberal and tolerant he is, rejecting Christian morality because he knows what "works" for him. Well, Brad, if it's okay for you to reject Christian morality because it says that its wrong for married people to cheat on their wives with bimbos, why isn't it okay for people who reject liberal morality to believe that gay marriage is wrong? Or is it that only conservative values are "relative," but liberal values are "absolute"? Stick to baring your very nice tush in movies, Brad; you ain't cuttin' it as a moral philosopher!

Posted by: LISA G | Sep 18, 2011 5:50:42 PM

22. wait........Brad Pitt....are you trying to force or morality on me?

Posted by: rewiega | Sep 19, 2011 10:29:20 PM

23. enough of Jen,it's about Brad. Brad spoke from his mouth, and what he said really sounds like a backwards emotions. If HE felt bored, he should of left the marriage before he went with Angie. But he didn't have the balls. Second, we don't need him to prove his devoted love OVER & OVER. That he has proven already. His dedication to God has left, so he should just leave that alone. Since he was raised with it, he should know, it's not a religion, it's a relationship...yet Brad stays away from that term at all cost. He either feels the heat of his choice, or karma is coming close.

Posted by: Ginger | Sep 22, 2011 4:19:28 AM

24. Pitt just another overpaid actor is a big big version of LETS PRETEND and he pretends to be one of the greatest persons in the world When in reality he is nothing but a big time show off

Posted by: Flu-Bird | Jan 8, 2012 7:36:25 PM