Chaz Bono | Cher | Dance | Dancing with the Stars | George Stephanopoulos | News | Reality TV

Stephanopoulos Questions Chaz Bono's Agenda, Weight, and Cher's Support in 'GMA' Interview: VIDEO

GMA_Bono

Chaz Bono appeared on Good Morning America this morning to discuss the controversy surrounding his participation on Dancing with the Stars with George Stephanopoulos.

Schwimmer_bono Said Chaz: "I'm going to be dancing. I'm not up on there talking about anything other than dancing. People who don't have gender dysphoria aren't going to catch it by watching me dance on television."

Stephanopoulos follows that response up with: "How's the dancing going? I heard you lost five pounds in the first six rehearsals?"

He then notes that Cher has been super supportive on Twitter, and asks Chaz, "Where's this coming from?"

Answers Chaz: "From being a mom! Nothing to get a mom on board than talking badly about their kid."

And finally:

STEPHANOPOULOS: And you say you just want to come out there and dance, and we're looking forward to seeing you dance, but what do you say to the critics who say that you are very self-consciously promoting some kind of political agenda?

BONO: I tell them to watch the show and decide after that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So it's not going to happen?

BONO: It's a dancing show!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, attorney Gloria Allred is calling attention to the controversy by holding a news conference announcing that she'll be dancing with transgender people on September 19 when the show premieres.

Comments

1. The weight thing I at least understand. No one would stop talking about Kirstie Ally and being fat and losing weight while being on DWtS.

But the other questions are like a moron convention. *sigh*

Posted by: luminum | Sep 6, 2011 11:02:40 AM

2. George is a little weasel and he's just trying to stir up controversy by asking Chaz unimportant questions. If I were Chaz I'd have replied "do YOU have a political agenda when you stick your nose up the behind of POTUS?" Idiot.

Posted by: Michael R | Sep 6, 2011 11:03:29 AM

3. I think Chaz is destined to become a politician. He's well spoken, but also has a very politic way of answering questions.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 6, 2011 11:14:30 AM

4. Chaz is one awesome dude.

Posted by: Max | Sep 6, 2011 11:14:32 AM

5. He looks good with the beard

Posted by: Dawn | Sep 6, 2011 11:29:29 AM

6. Seriously, this show is going to be a great thing that Chaz can do for himself fitness-wise. Nothing like finding something you think is fun that also gets you into shape.

Chaz's publicist Bragman was horrible at his job, as always, and let the idiotic George S. walk away with his interview, but Chaz, as always, comes off like a nice guy with his head screwed on straight who stays on point and keeps the conversation grounded in reality.

LGBT people couldn't ask for a better spokesman. He's got an incredible burden being born to two of the most famous Americans ever and living his entire life in the public eye, but he has never run away from his truth, no matter where he was on his journey to discovering it.

With his charm, determination and natural showmanship, I cannot wait to see him dance.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 6, 2011 11:42:42 AM

7. I think Nancy Grace is a far more controversial choice for DWTS. She certainly does not adhere to Anderson Cooper's mantra of "the reporter should not BE the story" and I can't stand seeing her in any context.

I think that George S's questions were the only ones that he could really ask, given the controversy that the media (of which George is a part of) have created. The question that he should have asked was "why do you think that the general public wants those that are different than them to be completely invisible?"

As a footnote, I don't think that the DWTS producers are even the slightest bit brave for including Chaz in the line up. They know that this faux controversy is going to give them the best ratings ever and they'll keep Chaz on the show as long as possible.

Posted by: Chadd | Sep 6, 2011 11:49:49 AM

8. Oh, my God! The poster, MAX, actually said something intelligent and progressive. Good thing Chaz isn't Muslim--he'd have never gotten that compliment out of MAX.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 6, 2011 11:52:29 AM

9. We're all so jealous cause Chaz has Cher for a Mom.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 6, 2011 12:01:25 PM

10. I love bears.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Sep 6, 2011 12:02:59 PM

11. Chaz did a great job staying on point. But jeez, what does Gloria Allred have to do with this story. I know she's done a great job representing the disenfranchised, including transgendered people. (I first met her when she was representing Gwen Araujo's family after Gwen's tragic murder.) But jeez, does she have to try to insert herself into EVERY story?

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Sep 6, 2011 12:06:06 PM

12. I could careless about this show but it's going to be huge. Thank you Million Mom's (which is in reality about 25 bitchy conservative women...) for the PR, thank you for all the insane conservatives, who clearly think it's okay for their children to watch women wearing next to nothing as they dance but get their panties in a bunch when a transgendered person -- who you wouldn't know was once a female -- is participating.

Look, the internet and blogs and web casts, etc. means every insane person with a computer has a soapbox. We just need to stop listening to them. They don't change anyone's mind other than those who would already agree with them...and usually piss of their children so much they turn completely against them for being regressive bigots.

The country keeps slowly inching leftwards on social issues because of the insanity of the rightwing lunatics who have become the voice of their cause...a shrill, whiny, pathetic voice that no one can stand to listen to for too long.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 6, 2011 12:08:42 PM

13. Is there no fake controversy Gloria Allred can't stick her nose into?

Posted by: Kenneth | Sep 6, 2011 12:46:48 PM

14. George is such a tool! Communications Directors do not good reporters make. He should stick to political reporting where his ineptitude is hidden by the stupidity of the people he covers. As for general interest news, I've yet to see a story he couldn't screw up. ABC should put him back on the Washington beat where his lack of brain cells aren't do apparent.

Posted by: Donald | Sep 6, 2011 1:34:35 PM

15. What has this guy ever done to benefit the gay community? Shameless self-promoter.

Posted by: Charley | Sep 6, 2011 1:40:16 PM

16. Personally, I'd like to know what George's political agenda is with that honking long last name he has. Wasn't a good old American name good enough for him? Hmmmm?

Posted by: BobN | Sep 6, 2011 2:13:36 PM

17. "Chaz did a great job staying on point. But jeez, what does Gloria Allred have to do with this story. I know she's done a great job representing the disenfranchised, including transgendered people. (I first met her when she was representing Gwen Araujo's family after Gwen's tragic murder.) But jeez, does she have to try to insert herself into EVERY story"

Gloria Alred spent years publicly tryign to have MJ's children taken away from him. I wroter her that her actions were prejudice and transphobic. My theory is she's trying to redeem herself by taking on Trans issues.

Posted by: fern | Sep 6, 2011 2:20:48 PM

18. "What has this guy ever done to benefit the gay community? Shameless self-promoter."

To answer your question: he's shamelessly self-promoted.

If you don't think your life could be and maybe is and probably will in any way be better because of Chaz Bono's visibility, then it's beyond me to explain the obvious to you.

And, if you're making this a contest, what exactly have you done for the gay community? Personally, I've done a whole hell of a lot and all of it combined can't come close to what Chaz is doing by just being on this one TV show, let alone the visibility he's already achieved and the expert way he's handled it. If you don't think he's changing minds about us by simply being him, you're mistaken.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 6, 2011 2:46:49 PM

19. I don't know if anyone else watches GMA or has noticed the increasingly tabloid nature of the show since Diane, Chris and the rest of the morning team were changed for George S?
    Not that it's serious news by any means, but lately there's been this VERY 'Fox News' type background happening on GMA from constant stories about the Bachmanns, Palin family, Christian values, etc. Besides, GMA's made up controversy just helps increase DWTS viewership and ad dollars to the parent company - Disney. More made up controversy to build ratings and WOM.

Posted by: RW Ritchie | Sep 6, 2011 2:56:59 PM

20. I've never watched DWTS before. I will now!

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 6, 2011 3:11:24 PM

21. Does Chaz Bono have a political agenda while appearing on TV. Of course. Did Bristol Palin? Of course. Everyone on DWTS has an agenda. Self-promotion. Are we supposed to pretend otherwise? It's a silly show that for some unknown reason some people take seriously.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Sep 6, 2011 3:16:41 PM

22. I think Chaz is a nice human being and I don't like that of the rest of the "non stars" Chaz is the only one singled out.

That said, I wish I could support Chaz being on DWTS but since it is ABC and I'm boycotting them for taking AMC and OLTL off the air to put that windbag Mario Batali on....I will not be able to do so.

So, I'll just buy Chaz's book.

Posted by: Rin | Sep 6, 2011 3:36:06 PM

23. george should go back to trolling the bars and gyms of d.c. . it is something he is better able to handle.

Posted by: walter | Sep 6, 2011 5:33:31 PM

24. Chaz ( or anyone else) should not be persuaded by a bunch of hypocritical bigots- I love the fact the they refer to DWTS as safe family show - which often features semi nude females and guys in tight pants doing some very sexy dancing.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 6, 2011 5:56:20 PM

25. Chastity has sucked on the show and SHE deserved to get kicked of the first week. There is an agenda and if IS being pushed down the throats of America as long as SHE continues to advance every week.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 5, 2011 10:31:54 AM