Barack Obama | Bullying | Lady Gaga | News

Lady Gaga: I'm Meeting Obama Over Anti-Gay Bullying Suicides

Gaga_obama

Lady Gaga tweeted today that she's meeting with President Obama following the suicide of gay 14-year-old teen Jamey Rodemeyer, who killed himself last weekend after what his parents said was years of bullying.

Said Gaga in another tweet: "The past days I've spent reflecting, crying, and yelling. I have so much anger. It is hard to feel love when cruelty takes someones life."

Rodemeyer Rodemeyer offered thanks to Gaga in an emotional "It Gets Better" video he recorded earlier this year in which he talked about the bullying he was enduring.

Said Rodemeyer in the video: "Lady Gaga, she makes me so happy. She lets me know that I was born this way, and that's my advice to you, from her, and all you have to do is hold your head up, and you'll go far."

Rodemeyer's mother, Tracy, told CBS News:

"It really just started with all the boys, cause all the girls just loved him and they always defended him, but all the boys would say, 'Geez you're such a girl. Why are you hanging out with all those girls? What are you, a girl? Oh, you must be gay'...The bullies now are still walking around. They get to wake up tomorrow and go to school and see all their friends, but my son will not be given a second chance no matter how much I have prayed. I would have given my own life to turn back the minute we seen him."

CBS News adds:

Tracy Rodemeyer will bury her son in a t-shirt with a message of acceptance and defiance. It reads simply: "Born this way."

Comments

1. This has been happening for a while now. . Why did it take a "monster" to do it before she's suddenly in tears over it? Give it a rest already Gaga.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 21, 2011 7:42:54 PM

2. Ok, very sad case and we all feel for the kid and the family...BUT, lets stop acting like the kid was murdered by bullies at school. He chose to cut his life short over this teasing. Yes life is tough, and yes we should all do more to protect the kids in danger, get the schools to be more proactive and actually do something. Obviously participating in the Dan Savage self-promotion activism stunt isn't enough and is so diluted at this point its a joke.

Posted by: Lisa G | Sep 21, 2011 7:52:12 PM

3. "The bullies now are still walking around. They get to wake up tomorrow and go to school and see all their friends, but my son will not be given a second chance no matter how much I have prayed."

The sentence above just hit me so hard.

Posted by: secret identity | Sep 21, 2011 7:52:54 PM

4. LISA, shut up. Quit blaming the victim. It's disgusting.

Posted by: gary | Sep 21, 2011 7:54:20 PM

5. Scott where is your heart ?? Gaga is just a pop star but she meant something really big though to that little boy. If you haven't got anything nice or supportive to say then don't say it. If you have the time to sit down and write a comment then offer something that will help, or offer an idea that will inspire someone. Negative words led to this boy feeling so awful and unwanted that he felt life was worthless....as a community we are creative, we are powerful, and we certainly know how to use words. Lady Gaga might actually be someone really useful...or she might just be someone that makes young gay kids feel good about themselves. Scott...let's hear an idea from you...What do you think we can do to stop bullying ? What can we do to stop kids feeling like they want to end it because they are gay ? What do you propose to do ? Attacking someone who is a friend to our community helps no one.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 21, 2011 7:54:58 PM

6. I would have been so proud and happy to have him as a son.

Posted by: Bubba | Sep 21, 2011 7:56:59 PM

7. As usual, the Towleroad readers' comments about a dead child are a cesspool.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 21, 2011 7:57:58 PM

8. No wonder kids think they're worthless, look how some members of their own community treat them.

Say what you want about Lady Gaga's music, but the fact that she tirelessly campaigns for LGBT Equality is something to be respected. Until any of you haters can achieve what she has for our civil rights; do me a favor and shut the f**k up.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 21, 2011 8:00:01 PM

9. Lisa G,

You call the "It Gets Better" campaign a "Dan Savage self-promotion activism stunt"? Your comment makes your contempt for victims of anti-gay bullying very clear. Can we show some contempt for you? Piss off, troll. I'm sure we'll muddle through without you and your big mouth.

Posted by: Artie | Sep 21, 2011 8:01:02 PM

10. The first two comments are so stupid and have a twisted prospective.

Posted by: Jake | Sep 21, 2011 8:03:25 PM

11. This story breaks my heart. I for one am happy that Lady Gaga is getting involved on this boy's behalf. Maybe this case will the catalyst for some actual change. Oh, and Scott and Lisa, you are cold bitches.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 21, 2011 8:09:10 PM

12. It seems the nature of the beast that Lady GaGa is now somewhat overexposed, and there's always the crowd that likes to feast on tearing people down. That being said, however, the ugly comments directed at Lady GaGa above are puzzling. While a lot of celebrities pay lip service (like Brad Pitt not getting married, etc.), she certainly walks the walk -- unlike some of the other "icons" like Madonna, Streisand, etc.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Sep 21, 2011 8:09:31 PM

13. I wish they would change the name of the anti-bullying campaign to "I Get Stronger" The false expectation of "It Gets Better" is not enough, its not empowering. Some of these kids cant wait around for it to get better. Sometimes it dosen't soon enough. Obviously.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 21, 2011 8:20:20 PM

14. Has anyone heard anything from the parents on all of this? Where were they and what were they doing to help their son?

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 21, 2011 8:41:12 PM

15. Lisa I agree with you, yes it is sad that the kid killed himself, but he didn't have to now did he? I'm a teenager I see what happens with bullies and whatnot, I even bully myself sometimes. Yes it is bad that gays get picked on but it's nothing worth killing yourself over.

Posted by: Rory | Sep 21, 2011 8:41:17 PM

16. Oh Rory, you are so cool. You even bully, too! No big deal, right? If only all kids could be as cool as you. Then people with actual hearts wouldn't have them break when they hear about a kid not as cool as you who couldn't take it anymore. So annoying when these losers harsh our buzz.

Posted by: TJ | Sep 21, 2011 8:55:09 PM

17. Scott, Gaga has been talking about bullying for quite some time now. Every other word out of her mouth is gay this, stop bullying that, what do you think was the motivation for her song "Born This Way"?? The woman is a tireless advocate for all the supposed "outcasts" of society.

Posted by: Jay King of Gay | Sep 21, 2011 8:56:26 PM

18. Gurls...please just igmore that TROLL - lisa g - He/She is just a fly on the wall and will never be invited to the party. The bitterness is so obvious...

Posted by: Tagg | Sep 21, 2011 9:01:04 PM

19. @Ryan I am from the Buffalo area, the parents of this boy had him in counseling to help him. As a parent I think these kids that bullied him should be punished in some way, bullying is a form of harrassment and we should treat it as such. These kids should be arrested and punished. Parents need to wake up as well and teach their kids to respect others no matter.

Posted by: Debbie | Sep 21, 2011 9:03:02 PM

20. Lisa G: In some cases the law disagrees. If the stated intent of the bully is to create a climate of distress in the mind of the victim so as to coerce the victim to kill him or herself, the bully can be charged with murder or as an accessory to murder. In the case of the "MySpace murder" in NJ, a state judge ruled that an adult female neighbor (who impersonated a teen male in order to first seduce and then coerce a teen female victim to suicide) stand trial for murder 1. The neighbor was convicted. The sentence was appealed to the federal level and upheld, so that would seem to be the best guidance for lower courts on such matters.

Posted by: deltamagnet | Sep 21, 2011 9:04:04 PM

21. It seems to me that when we have these suicides the parents are always absent!! Where is their vocal indignity!

Could the underlying problem be a lack of emotional support by the parents?

I know that if my child was being bullied and harassed at school, there will be a problem at "school"!

Posted by: Brains | Sep 21, 2011 9:05:23 PM

22. I know it's hard to understand sometimes, but children in pain are simply not developed enough make decisions the way adults do. Combine that with years of unrelenting torment from one's own peers, and yes, I can see why a child would believe there to be no way out. I work with teens in pain, and many of them are so damaged, and their self-image so distorted, that they need years of help to even begin to see themselves as they truly are. Please consider this before posting something callous about this child's so-called 'choice' to kill himself. Children don't do that unless they really see no other options - even when there are some. What we should criticize is the twisted culture of adults and misguided children who allowed this child to be tortured. Blaming the victim is simply not productive at a time when we should be asking ourselves how to prevent this from happening again, and again, and again, as it has been. Brushing it off and blaming the dead child is the same as telling a woman she deserved a sexual assault because she wore a skimpy outfit. Practice compassion, peace, and love!

Posted by: Casey | Sep 21, 2011 9:11:16 PM

23. Wow... some of the comments on this are disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. Yes, let's blame the 14 year old gay kid that got bullied probably nearly every waking moment of his life. I guess the next time we hear about a 14 year old girl who is sexually abused by her father all her life and decides to kill herself, we should just assume that it's her fault and she should have just walked out of the house. Makes sense to me.

Posted by: andypharmer | Sep 21, 2011 9:12:31 PM

24. @Rory: You disgust me people like you definitely make this community look bad.Such a hypocrite bullying people when you probably have been bullied yourself.So that makes you better then the bully because you BULLY 2? Idiot.People like YOU are part of the problem with all of this period.Grow up already.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 21, 2011 9:13:18 PM

25. @Rory: You disgust me people like you definitely make this community look bad.Such a hypocrite bullying people when you probably have been bullied yourself.So that makes you better then the bully because you bully 2? Idiot.People like YOU are part of the problem with all of this period.Grow up already.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 21, 2011 9:14:17 PM