Frank Mugisha | News | Uganda

Ugandan LGBT Rights Activist Frank Mugisha to Receive Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award

Frnak Mugisha, a 29-year-old activist whose work has drawn attention to the plight of LGBT people in Uganda, is being recognized by the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights:

Mugisha Frank Mugisha, a prominent young advocate for the rights of sexual minorities in Uganda, has been chosen to receive the prestigious Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award. Mr. Mugisha is the Executive Director of Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG), a leading organization of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) movement in the East African country...

...“Frank Mugisha's unbending advocacy for gay rights in Uganda in the face of deep-rooted homophobia is a testament to the indomitability of the human spirit,” said RFK Human Rights Award Judge Dean Makau Mutua, Professor of Law and Dean of the University at Buffalo Law School (SUNY).

...“Frank Mugisha has fought courageously in support of the rights of sexual minorities in Uganda, despite death threats and even exile,” said Kerry Kennedy, president of the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights. “He has become a leading advocate for sexual minorities in a country where they are persecuted, jailed, and their lives destroyed. We are proud at the RFK Center to begin our partnership with Mr. Mugisha to advance his invaluable work within this movement.”

Mrs. Robert F. Kennedy and Senator John Kerry will present Mugisha with the award at a ceremony on November 10th at the Kennedy Caucus Room of the Russell Senate Office Building.

Comments

1. If you know anything about that evangelical dictatorship you know this man's courage is superhuman. I wish him every success. America's gay community need to strongly support this man's mission.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Sep 16, 2011 11:30:03 AM

2. Now this is a HERO and his story is incredible. An example to all - this gentleman is putting himself out there (in harms way, I imagine) everyday in a big way. INSPIRING!

Posted by: Chip Arndt | Sep 16, 2011 11:59:37 AM

3. Thoroughly deserved. This man has fiercely advocated for gay rights in Uganda all his adult life; check his facebook page.

Posted by: Jackson | Sep 16, 2011 12:20:58 PM

4. There is another courageous Gay Rights advocate in Uganda who should be recognized by this organization. Her name is Kasha Jacqueline:

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Sep 16, 2011 12:55:36 PM

5. STUFFED ANIMAL

Not taking anything from this lady but I think it's because he is actually based in Uganada as well.

Nightmare. I do my bit, more then many and far above average but would I have the guts? I don't know. It even scares me to think of living in some parts of the USA as a gay man....

Posted by: Rowan | Sep 16, 2011 1:01:42 PM

6. That is one BRAVE BRAVE man.

Posted by: Felix | Sep 16, 2011 1:48:59 PM

7. All I can say is I hope he's not living in Uganda.

Posted by: Danny | Sep 16, 2011 2:03:07 PM

8. Nothing but the utmost respect for this man and people like him fighting for rights in the face of extreme hate and violence.

In the midst of haggling over which issues and tactics our community should promote, it's easy to forget the true pioneers who first stepped into the light and said, "This is who I am and I'm willing to fight, maybe even die, for the right to be myself."

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 10, 2011 12:18:02 PM