Apple | Deaths | Steve Jobs

Apple Founder Steve Jobs Dead at 56

Jobs

Apple founder Steve Jobs has died, the company reports:

"Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work withSteve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."

The company also released the following statement:

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today. Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that  enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve. His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts."

Jobs' family released a statement:

Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family.

In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.

Jobs underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in 2004, and received a liver transplant two years ago. He stepped down for his CEO role at Apple at the end of August.

Wired:

At a 2005 commencement address at Stanford University, Jobs shared the philosophy that drove him.

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life,” Jobs said. “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Watch Jobs' 2005 commencement address, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is truly sad. RIP Steve Jobs, you will continue to inspire many generations to come.

Posted by: David | Oct 5, 2011 8:04:37 PM

2. I'm very sad about this. The coolest, most functional things I've ever owned has either come directly from the reign of Jobs or from products inspired by his work. He will certainly be remembered forever.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 5, 2011 8:08:45 PM

3. A rainbow over Silicon Valley.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 5, 2011 8:13:17 PM

4. He truly changed the way we all live

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Oct 5, 2011 8:14:12 PM

5. Very sad, but at least he is no longer suffering. :-(

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 5, 2011 8:17:20 PM

6. A TRULY SAD Day. RIP Steve Jobs

Posted by: Steve | Oct 5, 2011 8:22:59 PM

7. An awful loss for someone whose driving force in life was to explain to people that imagination could accomplish greatness if we only believe. And a longtime friend to our own community as well.

Posted by: Joey Y | Oct 5, 2011 8:28:05 PM

8. May your legacy live on, Steve.

Posted by: Rafael | Oct 5, 2011 8:35:18 PM

9. RIP Steve, as I sit here on my iMac desktop, with my Macbook, iPhone and iPad sitting around my desk!

BUT I expect more from an LGBT blog. Yes Steve's passing is being widely reported, however it should be mentioned, at least on this blog, that Apple has been a pro-gay company for a very long time...all during Steve Jobs second tenure at Apple.

Posted by: QJ201 | Oct 5, 2011 8:59:36 PM

10. Fly to Heaven, Steve. You were a soft-spoken soul inside an intellectual mountain of a man.

Posted by: Superman | Oct 5, 2011 9:12:49 PM

11. What a gigantic loss!!! Rest in peace, Steve!!

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 5, 2011 10:01:43 PM

12. The world has lost a titan. May his legacy inspire many more ...

Posted by: Jason 2 | Oct 5, 2011 10:12:02 PM

13. - 8 news sites, all filled with heartfelt condolences
    - I go to Fox News, and I can't believe the garbage I'm reading
    - _FUC K_ FOX NEWS!!!!

Posted by: Ian | Oct 5, 2011 10:17:54 PM

14. Thanks for bringing us the 21st Century, Steve

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Oct 5, 2011 10:57:45 PM

15. What a shame thanks for your inspiration Stevie, as a buddhist as you are vawncast of the enlightenment.

Posted by: Laby | Oct 5, 2011 11:17:55 PM

16. Sadly a short life for a man who had so much to offer. He leaves behind an amazing career (and, I hope, a happy life).

Posted by: mike128 | Oct 5, 2011 11:58:37 PM

17. Now I know why it was raining all day in LA. The gods were weeping at this loss of human intellectualism.

Posted by: stevenelliot | Oct 6, 2011 12:00:42 AM

18. Steve Jobs, Apple’s Visionary, Dies at 56

(no other news today)

Posted by: sww | Oct 6, 2011 12:15:53 AM

19. Sad to see that the world has lost such a great man whose influence will be felt for much than his short life here on Earth.The excerpt of his speech given at Stanford should be the rallying mantra of the LGBT community.

Posted by: Nathan | Oct 6, 2011 12:40:20 AM

20. What a intriguing [and inspirational] background and life Mr. Jobs had. You gotta love a person who has experienced life's ups and downs, and managed in the end to far surpass low expectations.

That said: I'm not a particular fan of Apple products. Mr. Jobs turned his products into cult-like status symbols primarily through good marketing, and Mr. Jobs single minded ruthless business model. The man took great risks, failed miserably on multiple occasions, before finally the epic success of his second tenure at Apple. But these products aren't IMO the most technologically innovative. You'd be better off with a PC running Linux. And have a lot more $ in your pocket. ALL Apple products are very over-priced and offer poor value, IMO.

And we can save discussion of Mr. Jobs INFAMOUS bad behavior towards for and day.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 6, 2011 12:44:33 AM

21. My condolences to his family and friends but I will not mourn his loss. His commencement address would have more honestly read:

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life (unless its my idea of how to live it),” Jobs said. “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking (unless its mine in which case you should praise me). Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice (oh wait, except for mine because I'm your Big Brother). And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition (while I harass and abuse my employees, outsource jobs to companies that overwork their employees till they commit suicide, and generally act like an ass in my personal life). They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary (including the aforementioned heart)."

Posted by: AladinSane | Oct 6, 2011 12:46:50 AM

22. I used to work for Apple and remain a Certified Apple Software and Hardware Engineer to this day. I met Steve Jobs in the mid 90's attending an Apple Seminar and was representing IBM as The OS/2 Guy. OS/2 was IBM's premier operating system, every ATM in America used/relied on OS/2 back then. When IBM dropped OS/2 I walked into Apple looking for a job and was hired on the spot. I spent four years with them and remain a devout Apple enthusiast. It was and remains a wonderful place to work. There isn't an Apple product we don't own. (I've never known Microsoft anything.)

Greg and I saw Mr. Jobs maybe a week after he had resigned from Apple. He was coming out of a medical clinic, walking, tho' being helped by an attendant. He was but a stick of the man I had first met years ago.

It is very hard to lose icons but even harder to lose friends.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 6, 2011 1:14:53 AM

23. R.I.P Steve Jobs....But Ratbastard aka John In Boston...SERIOUSLY!?! You're one unhappy individual! :-(

Posted by: CHRIS DA CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Oct 6, 2011 1:18:57 AM

24. Steve Jobs....iDead.

Perhaps a bit tacky, but someone had to do it.

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Oct 6, 2011 3:43:49 AM

25. Its sad and it is a horrible disease, but as someone immune to the Apples charms I'll just get on with my day.

For me Bill Gates is much more important, he was the one who REALLY changed the world and really brought computers to the masses. Like windows or not its infinitely more important that anything Apple make. Lets not forget the Gates Foundation either. Apple is certainly no less 'evil' than Microsoft, these days far more. I'd morn Gates, but Jobs, not really.

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 6, 2011 4:42:20 AM