Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | News | Steve King

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Steve Kings Says Gays Who Want Marriage are 'Promoting the Idea of Desecrating the Eucharist': VIDEO

King

Right Wing Watch posts an exchange between anti-gay Iowa GOP Rep. Steve King and Bishop William Lori at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing yesterday on “The State of Religious Liberty in the United States.”

King suggests that gays who want same-sex marriage are "promoting the idea of desecrating the Eucharist" and are a "direct affront" to the Church. Lori is in willing agreement.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I piss on your Eucharist.

Posted by: Charley | Oct 27, 2011 10:26:48 AM

2. And I point-out that, based-upon such a statement, neither of these men have the slightest understanding concerning the Eucharist its institution and meaning. They may understand the rules of the Roman Catholic Mafia, but they have no understanding of Christ and his sacrifice. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 27, 2011 10:27:48 AM

3. I respect that Christians believe in sacredness of the Eucharist. I however fail at seeing how that has anything to do with Gay Marriage let alone government.

I will happily "desecrate" the "body" and "blood" of their Lord if they think it can infringe on my rights as an equal American.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 27, 2011 10:28:59 AM

4. I wonder what they feel is the impact on the Eucharist when it's celebrated by a pedophile who has his eye on the altar server.

Posted by: Danny | Oct 27, 2011 10:35:10 AM

5. Back where I'm from, catholics aren't even really considered to be christians. They're idolaters and pedophiles who are beholden to a roman dictator.

So it looks like gays aren't the only ones who think catholicism is a cult.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 27, 2011 10:42:53 AM

6. What a laugh.

Posted by: uffda | Oct 27, 2011 10:43:36 AM

7. Which part of allowing gay marriage forces Catholic churches to perform them? Do we force Catholics to perform marriage services for divorced people? For people who haven't been baptized? No, we don't.

Posted by: BABH | Oct 27, 2011 10:44:28 AM

8. yes, of course, the Catholic Church being an expert on marriage

Posted by: udderly ridiculous | Oct 27, 2011 10:47:22 AM

9. CHARLEY: Ditto

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 27, 2011 10:49:02 AM

10. What's so offensive (well, one of the things anyway) is the assumption that everyone must adhere to the view of Catholics. I'm Jewish; the Eucharist means nothing to me. These legislators who keep making decisions based on religious dogma are not doing their job.

Posted by: Larry | Oct 27, 2011 10:51:29 AM

11. "I wonder what they feel is the impact on the Eucharist when it's celebrated by a pedophile who has his eye on the altar server."

Wow. Think about that. A symbolic cannibalistic feast served by a pedophile.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 27, 2011 10:53:10 AM

12. Shame on both the congressman and that priest for not knowing what they are talking about. GOD DID NOT CREATE MARRIAGE! MAN DID!

It was not until the 12th century that marriage took its place among the other ritual actions which we now name the seven sacraments.

The priest needs to go back to abusing boys, something he oviously knows more about.

Posted by: Dale | Oct 27, 2011 10:57:24 AM

13. So according to these mental midgets anyone non catholic that gets married are also "promoting the idea of desecrating the Eucharist" and are a "direct affront" to the Church. So from were I'm standing it sounds like they are saying only catholics should be allowed to get married.

Posted by: Akula | Oct 27, 2011 10:58:51 AM

14. I'm not sure why I should care what this glorified pedifiles club calls a disc of dehydrated ka-ka...but we're not interested.
    They can marry or not marry us...and who really cares?
    Look at the history of the catlic church going back 2000 years and you'll see they should have no credibility. They are hateful, divisive and criminal in so many ways...and have been since Constantine's time.

Posted by: paul b. | Oct 27, 2011 11:02:56 AM

15. It's a magic cracker and people can't make up their mind if it's full cannibalism (Catholics) or partial cannibalism (most Protestants). Christians don't even understand it themselves.

@Dale
    Even later. Marriage didn't officially become a sacrament until the mid 16th century during the Council of Trent. Some considered it a sacrament before, but it wasn't on the same level as the others

Posted by: Steve | Oct 27, 2011 11:08:07 AM

16. I never listen to the blatherings of cannibals.

Posted by: homer | Oct 27, 2011 11:08:14 AM

17. That's great, but I'm not catholic. I'm american, a citizen, but not a catholic. So should I be bound by religious laws that don't apply? Just what exactly is meant by the term 'freedom of religion'? Freedom to push your beliefs on me? Or recognizing that maybe not everyone subscribes to your religious point of view, and staying out of legislative processes where you try to force your church's viewpoint on everybody. Go save yourself.

Posted by: kodiak | Oct 27, 2011 11:22:04 AM

18. the more dingbatty their reasons become for opposing it, the more i realize that we're going to win this.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Oct 27, 2011 11:22:12 AM

19. Yes, they are really digging deep for arguments against same sex marriage. If consenting adults do not conspire to the Catholic faith, what does it have to do with me? Same as abortion, if I am not a Catholic, why must I be against the practice. Like it or not, Catholics are not the only game in town. I don't have to kiss their royal rumps.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 27, 2011 12:06:13 PM

20. No one is telling the Catholic, or any other Church, who they can marry. They have religious liberty, yet they keep trying to infringe on our civil liberties.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 27, 2011 12:07:08 PM

21. When these people speak, the response should be the list of crimes committed by the church hierarchy when it came to covering up the crimes of the pedophile priests.

Posted by: lk | Oct 27, 2011 12:08:11 PM

22. religion has to much freedom in this country. it is constantly trying to impose its will on everyone not just members of their faith. the congressman should remember he was elected by all the people not just catholics.

Posted by: walter | Oct 27, 2011 12:16:54 PM

23. How about all the hetero people who engage in 'civil' marriage ceremonies. Clearly they make a mockery of the Sacramental Marriage offered by some Christian churches. I don't the the Rep. calling out about 1/2 of all civilly married Americans.

Posted by: anon | Oct 27, 2011 12:19:10 PM

24. @SLEEPY BEAR - Excatly as they realize they are losing their arguments become crazier and more outrageous and more desperate.

Desecrating the eucharist (snort)

Posted by: Rob | Oct 27, 2011 12:26:28 PM

25. Steve King and Bishop Lori are un-American. Go back to old Rome--or Mussolini's. Stop pushing that Islamist-style hate here.

Please. You don't care about your children, but think of MINE.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 27, 2011 12:28:30 PM