Dana White | News | Sports | UFC

UFC President Dana White Says There's 'Probably More than One' Gay Fighter and 'I Wish He Would Come Out'

In mid-October, I posted about a letter written to Anheuser-Busch by longtime gay activist Cleve Jones, Stonewall Democratic Club of Southern Nevada Chair Derek Washington, Culinary Workers Union President Geoconda Arguello-Kline,  Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network of Southern Nevada Co-Chair Howard Watts III, and Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada activist Laura Martin urging them to drop sponsorship of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) over the organization's failure to address homophobic behavior by its leaders and athletes.

WhiteLooks like UFC President Dana White is feeling the heat.

In an interview with USA Today White said he regrets his past homophobic remarks:

"If you guys look at all the stuff that I've said over the last 10 years -- some of it stupid, some of it whatever -- that's the one that bothers me. That's the only one that bothers me -- the fact that these losers from the Culinary Union can go out and say that I'm a homophobe and things like that -- because it's the furthest thing from the truth."

He also said that the UFC should not bear responsibility for remarks by individuals:

"You're dealing with human beings. Everybody makes mistakes and everybody does things that are wrong sometimes. ... We do the best we can do. How do you really think that we could possibly police 375 fighters and try to control everything they say?"

He also says he wishes a fighter would come out:

"I'll tell you right now, if there was a gay fighter in UFC, I wish he would come out. I could care less if there's a gay fighter in the UFC. There probably is and there's probably more than one."

Comments

1. He asks: "How do you really think that we could possibly police 375 fighters and try to control everything they say?"

Um, I dunno -- maybe the SAME WAY my own employer polices ITS employees, and expects us all to behave and speak like civilized adults. Just sayin'...

Posted by: Justin in Oaklawn, Dallas, TX | Oct 28, 2011 1:56:41 PM

2. Justin: The public spotlight isn't on your company's employees and taking note of everything they say or do outside of work. These fighters come in and do their jobs and I don't see how their personal opinions should reflect back on the company. Are you saying there aren't any homophobes where you work? There's a huge percentage of people who aren't comfortable with gays, are you saying they should all be fired? I don't believe the prerequisite for fighting in mma is being the perfect model PG human being, and its certainly not in any other career.

Posted by: dru | Oct 28, 2011 2:17:16 PM

3. bottomline: if he had said disparaging remarks about blacks, jews, or almost any other minority, he'd be as good as gone... or at least a pariah liike mel gibson.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Oct 28, 2011 2:29:14 PM

4. @sleepybear, terrible comment, illogical. Please try to follow your own reasoning in the future. D+

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 28, 2011 3:25:02 PM

5. Uuuuhhhh...

these are people who make money by beating other people within an inch of their lives.

Why, pray tell, would they or should they be "role models"? Why would you expect these people (or want them) to be pro-gay? No offense but that's kind of like being endorsed by Stalin.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 28, 2011 3:43:35 PM

6. I reckon most UFC fighters are bisexually oriented. Most men are - they're just too afraid to say so. As for exclusively gay, that's likely to.

Posted by: jason | Oct 28, 2011 5:01:32 PM

7. Phencox, or whatever your name is, you get an "F" for "fool." S.B.'s comment makes perfect sense. Try stepping away from the crack pipe, for a few.

Posted by: Your Mom | Oct 28, 2011 5:21:52 PM

8. Call me crazy but I kind of believe this guy....it is possible to regret past actions and words.
    I have also always wondered about these contact "sports" and the homosexual overtones. No doubt, some of these fighters are gay.

Posted by: excy | Oct 28, 2011 6:00:29 PM

9. UFC is a homoerotic spectacle featuring half naked sweaty young men.

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 28, 2011 6:02:38 PM

10. If a fighter did come out, say on a Saturday, they would be found dead with a bullet in their brain on Sunday. He just wants to make sure he knows who's gay as not to miss the target.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Oct 28, 2011 9:01:04 PM

11. As recently as August 7, 2011, Dana White awarded an additional $70,000 to the opponent of a fighter who wore speedo style briefs in a fight.

"I'm seriously pissed off at the guys who work for us who let him walk out with those things on," he said. "I've never been so embarrassed to be in the UFC."

Later, he said he was "horrified" by the moment.

"It was as bad as bad can get," he said.

F him,,,he's a pig. I used to enjoy watching UFC, partly because of the undeniable beauty of it and partly because of the extreme fitness and conditioning of the fighters, but Dana White's disgustingly, repeatedly homophobic remarks made me stop. He doesn't care about my opinion but he sure cares about the money in my wallet. I will never watch any UFC event, ever again. He's sorry, fine, I forgive him, you and your sport will never get my attention again.

Posted by: Will | Oct 28, 2011 9:48:42 PM

12. Half-naked men do not represent a homoerotic spectacle. Half-naked men is just that, half-naked men. There is no sexuality attached to the state of being half-naked. The only people who think it's homoerotic are desperate queens in search of validation.

As for Dana White, he's in damage control. I don't like him at all. Think about this: if you add an "i" after the D in Dana, you get Diana.

Posted by: jason | Oct 28, 2011 11:49:45 PM

13. Couldn't give a frogs fat ass about UFC.

Posted by: Bri | Oct 28, 2011 11:57:42 PM

14. I'm not usually one to say this but DON'T COME OUT! IT'S A TRAP! I'm pretty sure an openly gay player would be pressured to retire, or face soul crushing ridicule from fans and have other fighters refuse to fight him because, heaven forbid a gay man give them a rear naked choke-hold; 'he might like it too much, oh lordy lordy!'

Posted by: Ryon | Oct 29, 2011 3:32:32 AM

15. Am I on glue?

I haven't watched that UFC fighter training reality show in years, but I seem to recall contestants that were openly gay on that show and it being treated as a complete non-issue.

Posted by: Southern Comfort | Oct 29, 2011 6:31:44 AM

16. Gotta say I find the homophobic Dana White more than a little untrustworthy.

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 29, 2011 7:00:31 AM

17. This guy is a complete moron. The reason people can call him a bigot is because he has made bigotted statements, repeatedly.

And it's VERY easy to ensure that UFC fighters are not bigotted. Hows? Fire their stupid asses the moment they make a bigoted statement.

Anheuser Busch should drop sponsorship of the UFC.

Posted by: David | Oct 29, 2011 9:12:12 AM

18. Once more...

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF UFC IS HOMOPHOBIC??????

They BEAT people for money. When kids do it in school it's "bad" when they do it for money it's suddenly "good"?

Like the cash at the end of the experience makes brutality and violence acceptable?

There are certain clubs I just wouldn't want to join even if they did say "we'd love to have you". Especially because WHEN they do you're "Token".

Posted by: Rin | Oct 29, 2011 8:00:22 PM

19. Mr. White and his UFC have an 'image' to uphold.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 30, 2011 7:58:32 AM

20. @Rin, you sound ignorant when you compare kids fighting and fighting in the UFC; get your facts right. The fighters in the UFC are athletes that trains up to 6 days a week including physical condition, dieting, and sparing.

If people believe that coming out would hinder someone's fighting career, they're wrong. When you are getting punched, wrestled, or submitted, you don't care if the other fighter is gay or not; you will only care about the pain and the idea of losing. If there is a gay fighter who is cut from the UFC, the only reason would be that he lost too often.

Posted by: Guest | Feb 29, 2012 4:03:17 PM