Afghan Rape Victim’s Sentence Reduced

GulnazA young Afghan woman named Gulnaz has spent the last year and a half in a Kabul jail. This was to have been the first eighth of a 12-year prison sentence. Her crime: Adultery. But Gulnaz has long insisted that she's not an adulterer — that she was raped, and failed to report her rape out of fear of retribution.

Her fear is understandable. Rape is still considered more-or-less synonymous with infidelity throughout Afghanistan, and many women who do report rape are imprisoned anyway. (Sometimes, women suspected of "zini," or moral crimes, such as extra-marital sex, are stoned to death.) From CNN.com:

Gulnaz says she at first tried to hide the attack against her because she could be killed for bringing shame on her community. Only her pregnancy exposed the attack and began criminal investigations that led to her conviction for adultery.

Later, a higher Afghan court decided that Gulnaz probably was raped after all, and reduced her sentence to three years. Her new crime: Failing to report her rape quickly enough.

CNN.com reports the excellent news that Gulnaz may soon be free from prison anyway. Her name is on a list of women in line to receive pardons. BBC explains why: Gulnaz has agreed to marry her rapist. "I need my daughter to have a father," she said.

Comments

1. Lexxvs says

Monstrous societies with monstrous religious dogmas can only produce monstrous justice. That if you can call that thing justice at all.
    Keep wasting unbelievable amounts of money on them for nothing.

2. antisaint says

Both of them were convicted of adultery, Gulnaz was initially given two years, and her attacker got seven. Her sentence went up to 12 years and down to 3. They believe the two were having an affair that got messy when she found out she was pregnant.

3. Hunter says

How ironic, I think her name (Gulnaz) means “happy smile” – at least that’s how I would render it from Turkish (might be same in her language if she is Uzbek-Afghani).

4. WanderingStar says

I agree with the first commenter. Some cultures’ ideas of honor and morality just make me shudder with horror. Their concept of justice has no regard to the suffering of this woman. And if she really is being forced to marry her rapist, he suffering will not end when she leaves prison, not by a long shot.

5. Shannon says

WTF?????? AND THEY WONDER WHY SEE THEM AS ANIMALS!!!!! AND YOU KEEP WONDERING WHY I SAY LEAVE THEM ALONE! I HAVE MET ARAB MEN HERE WHO BEG TO HAVE SEX WITH YOU….THEN FREAK OUT AND BECOME VIOLENT AFTER WARDS!!! I LEAVE THESE BARBARIANS ALONE…..AND FOR THIS POOR WOMAN….MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU……SPIT IN HIS FACE…

6. says

I’ve long supported our presence in Afghanistan for one reason: We kept the Taliban’s barbaric sense of justice from destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent women and children. But, if we are going to let this happen while WE ARE still THERE, what’s the point?
    Time to bring the troops home.

7. Rosetta Stone says

As long as she is seriously remorseful for her crime and promises never to be raped again, I suppose it’s safe to let her out after three years. I’m impressed with the humanity and compassion of the prosecutor who recognized her genuine contrition. http://bit.ly/s2dzGl

8. jack says

The Afghan rape VICTIMS sentence is reduced. If this doesn’t tell you what a primitive and oppressive religion Islam is, nothing will. It is where Christianity and Judaism were hundreds and hundreds of years ago. All organized religions are the enemies of human freedom. Islam just happens to be the WORST.