Brett Ratner | News

Brett Ratner Out as Oscar Producer Following Anti-Gay Slur

Director Brett Ratner is out as Oscar producer, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

RatnerDirector Brett Ratner is planning to step down as Oscar producer, a source close to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences tells The Hollywood Reporter. The source says a decision has been made and the Academy will make an announcement shortly.

Calls to the Academy were not returned.

UPDATE — The Academy has now issued a statement:

This morning, Brett Ratner submitted his resignation as a producer of the 84th annual Academy Awards to Academy President Tom Sherak. Ratner then issued an open letter to the entertainment industry in which he explained his decision.

"He did the right thing for the Academy and for himself," Sherak said. "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

Here's Ratner's letter to the entertainment industry. And an update from GLAAD.

“When we sat down with Brett today, he seemed very sincere in his desire to use this experience as a way to begin speaking out against anti-gay language in popular culture,” said Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs at GLAAD. “We believe this resignation is just the first step and will be announcing a series of concrete actions in coming days and weeks with Brett.”

Yesterday, Brett Ratner issued a lame apology after stunning a Tower Heist screening audience on Friday night by using an anti-gay slur during a question and answer session.

After being asked what rehearsals are like, Ratner declared "rehearsal's for fags", stunning the audience.

Watch the video HERE.

Yesterday, AMPAS President Tom Sherak, said the Academy would give Ratner a chance: "The bottom line is, this won’t and can’t happen again. It will not happen again. He apologized and we will move forward. How do I know this? I’ve known this man for a very long time. He has many friends who are members of the gay and lesbian community. The apology he gave I truly believe comes from his heart. If I didn’t believe it, I would do something about it. This is about integrity and honoring the Academy Awards, but we all make mistakes and I believe he didn’t mean it.”

However, anger has been building.

Earlier today, the L.A. Times wrote, " Whatever goodwill he might have had for assuming the thankless job of producing the Oscars is now long gone."

And The Wrap asked, muzzle Brett Ratner or fire him?

Adding: "Calls for Brett Ratner's firing from the Oscar telecast are growing as word of his gay slur and raunchy remarks on the Howard Stern show are circulating. Mark Harris, a columnist for Entertainment Weekly and the Oscars columnist for ESPN's Grantland, called for Ratner's dismissal on Monday. Tuesday morning he was joined by Salon movie writer Andrew O'Hehir."

Comments

1. Good, it's about damned time that the lame non-apologies stopped working. Every time anyone uses anti-gay slurs they should have to pay the penalty, apology or not. Maybe then the use of these terms will stop. Saying fag should be treated EXACTLY the same as saying the N-word.

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 8, 2011 6:56:07 PM

2. i figured that this would happen. ratner was an embarrassment. hollywood only likes to stab gays in the back... they get embarrassed when you see them coming at you.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Nov 8, 2011 7:02:29 PM

3. Good. He's a crappy film maker as well.

I still have not got high hopes for the oscars the last few years have been so dull.

I used to think why don't they just hire a good comedian. Joan Rivers has said that the hollywood elite hates her because she is not one of them. I was hoping for Billy Crystal & Whoopi Goldberg. Anyway like many gay men I will be watching. Glad this ahole is gone though.

Posted by: Michael Singh | Nov 8, 2011 7:03:14 PM

4. Wow! And, I hope this means he is now out of contention as the director of the big screen adaptation of Wicked.

Posted by: henry | Nov 8, 2011 7:05:00 PM

5. Good. But are we still stuck with Eddie Murphy?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Nov 8, 2011 7:07:28 PM

6. I'm pleased with this result.

I'd be more pleased if he was denied all work in the future. Not for being a moron who thinks vile, hateful terms are funny, but simply on the grounds that he's a no-talent hack that doesn't deserve to work in entertainment.

Go flip burgers for a living, Ratner. Off with you.

Posted by: Southern Comfort | Nov 8, 2011 7:08:52 PM

7. Where does it stop with people making mistakes. I'm no fan of Ratner but I''d imagine he doesn't hate gays. Curious, is the term cocksuckers homophobic? Because a certain World Series manager used it a lot but no one has said a thing. I find that term way more offensive than fag.

Posted by: TorJ | Nov 8, 2011 7:10:54 PM

8. Herman Cain = Sexual Chocolate. Barack Obama snorted cocaine in a limo with Larry Sinclair who gave Obama ORAL SEX!!!!!

Posted by: scoobytx | Nov 8, 2011 7:48:37 PM

9. @Torj why is cocksuckers offensive?

Posted by: john | Nov 8, 2011 7:52:25 PM

10. Good decisionmaking. And makes me proud of the blogosphere / entertainment media too. I'm not about throwing Rattner under the bus more than appropriate, but this was the right move, needed.

Now I can watch the Oscar's after all.

I just hope they find a way to make this even more of a teaching moment for folks. Something clever, maybe even fun could be fine. They're supposed to be the experts at that :--). Rehearsed or not; straight or not.

Straight people always seemed to be the ones so over-rehearsed-seeming to me.

I do get the notion of there sometimes being a good machismo in being unrehearsed. And the gay and bi men I know are often the ultimate exhibits of this bravada---even if playing straight.

Hollywood Exhibit A: NPH. Dude's a stud. :)

Now if Mario Lopez could just find a closet door, haha.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Nov 8, 2011 7:55:59 PM

11. scooby

LOL

that old BS

larry sinclair failed 2 lie detector tests he volunteered himself for

Facts/ reality / truth have a liberal bias

Posted by: say what | Nov 8, 2011 7:56:07 PM

12. I'm a little more annoyed that the AMPAS President said at first, "He apologized and we will move forward and he doesn't have a hurtful bone in his body" and then after Ratner resigned, the President said "Being reckless hurts people." Then why didn't you do something about it yesterday? The words didn't suddenly become more reckless in 24 hours.

Posted by: Harrison | Nov 8, 2011 8:18:19 PM

13. I suspect if tower heist received great reviews and turned out to be a runaway hit, the outcome would be different. That ratner delivered a piece of schlock which provided little for his teaming with Murphy for the AMPAS to capitalize on, he had very little to lean back on. The oscars took another gamble and lost. Let's see if they fall back on their feet. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Nov 8, 2011 8:34:37 PM

14. Does this mean we're not using the word anymore ourselves either?

Posted by: Jack | Nov 8, 2011 9:01:49 PM

15. This give me hope on the Gay Mafia's power

Posted by: Felix | Nov 8, 2011 9:08:41 PM

16. I pleased that, finally, somebody receives a form of punishment for using this slur and not given a pass with a lame apology. I suspect it had less to do with Sherak's reaction than the reaction of the Oscars' core audience (gay men) and the disapproval of major Academy bigwigs (gay and straight) who realized that Ratner had to go to send a message that this won't be tolerated.

I hopeful that Ratner does work with GLAAD as promised; he may make crap films, but maybe he could have the balls to either a) cast an openly gay actor for the action hero in his next flick or b) make that hero be gay himself.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 8, 2011 9:09:22 PM

17. Gay Mafia is very powerful in Hollywood and it would not allow this moron to produce the Oscar and I hope Eddy Murphy goes along with him.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 8, 2011 9:54:56 PM

18. @TORJ

"If we fight, we may not always win, but if we don't fight, we will surely lose."

If people don't complain, don't cry out, then he won't be punished. That's why I started a petition to get Ratner fired.

Here, start a petition to get the coach fired: http://change.org

Posted by: Mike | Nov 8, 2011 10:00:34 PM

19. This is awesome news! I hate that no-talent fat sweaty fraud. He forced them to hire Eddie Murphy & man, he is gonna stink up the joint. He's mean & old & bitter now & he's not even remotely funny. Krusty would be a better host than him.

Posted by: Swine | Nov 8, 2011 11:05:56 PM

20. To those of you that say, it's just a word, and those that say it isn't comparable to the "n-word", tell that to Adam Colton, who, in 1999, had the word "fag" carved into his arm and stomach with a pen:

Do you think the "n-word" became so forbidden by people saying "it's just a word"? No, we have to say it is unacceptable.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 9, 2011 1:07:51 AM

21. I realize that a lot of us were picked on in high school. Lord knows, I was. I'm just skimming over these comments and wondering who the real haters are here. I get why someone with a microphone shouldn't be saying "fag", no matter how lightly he used the word. I'm not sure that burning him at the stake is an appropriate response though. I don't want to say "lighten up", or "it's no big deal". I know it is. What I do want to say is that your being an a-hole isn't excused because he was one first. You can't talk about how much words hurt, and then puke out a bunch of hateful nonsense as part of your argument.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 9, 2011 2:34:04 AM

22. @Bill: Agreed!

Posted by: Joe | Nov 9, 2011 5:20:54 AM

23. Bye bye sweetie! That's what happens when you let bullshyt come out of your mouth.

Posted by: Vinnie | Nov 9, 2011 6:09:49 AM

24. Does this mean Eddie Murphy will step down as host?

I sincerely hope so.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 9, 2011 7:46:46 AM

25. Eddie Murphy is a very poor choice to host the Oscars. He's an arch homophobe who once said if he found out one of his children were gay, the first thing he'd do would be to kick his wife down the stairs and I can only think what he'd do to a gay child. I'm shocked that GLAAD hasn't picked up on it or maybe it's not aware.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Nov 9, 2011 7:52:21 AM