Bullying | Michigan | News | Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert Mocks Michigan's Religious Blueprint for Bullying: VIDEO

Colbert

Last night, Stephen Colbert took up the bill recently passed in Michigan that contained language justifying it if a student, parent, teacher, or school employee can come up with a religious or moral reason for doing so.

Says Colbert: "It is well known that the homosexual agenda is just an insidious plot to prevent gay teenagers from dying...The point is, bullying is just fine as long as you get a permission slip from God. With this amendment to the law, if you're a Michigan Christian teenager giving a gay kid a swirlie, you can just say it's a baptism."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love Stephen Colbert!

He's an apparently devout Catholic who teaches Sunday school, yet he's probably the most pro-gay host of any show, addressing gay topics frequently. He's one of "the good ones," someone who makes it possible for me to believe that religion isn't necessarily synonymous with homophobia.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 10, 2011 1:38:11 PM

2. You go, Colbert.

Posted by: Jeff R. | Nov 10, 2011 3:31:28 PM

3. Colbert's a devout Catholic who teaches Sunday school? Seriously? I agree he's definitely one of the good ones. My Dad, also one of the good ones, told me once: "Pay attention to people who squawk the loudest about gays. They're in the closet. Men who are secure in the sexuality really don't care about anybody else's."

Posted by: Jonster | Nov 10, 2011 3:35:16 PM

4. I like how he breaks character a bit at the end, as he does on rare occasions, to emphasize that, kidding aside, he thinks those behind this are despicable creatures.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 10, 2011 4:03:18 PM

5. Colbert is not squawking loudly "about
    " gays. He's very very supportive. And he tends to call it as he sees it.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Nov 10, 2011 4:39:52 PM

6. Ben, I wasn't referring to Colbert. I'm talking about homophobes who see gay men as their "biggest fear and biggest fantasy."

Posted by: Jonster | Nov 10, 2011 4:48:26 PM

7. Love Stephen Colbert. He's also done an "It Gets Better" video. Dan Savage was a guest on his show a few months ago and the interview was a classic. One of the funniest Colbert moments I've ever seen!

Posted by: Laura | Nov 10, 2011 5:12:16 PM

8. The insanity is that as a whole the Catholic laity are the Christian denomination that is strongly supportive of gay rights, including marriage. In a poll released earlier this week, more than 90% of Catholics support full equality for transgender people.

The problem is the hierarchy of priests, bishops, cardinals and pope who are insane about anything related to sexuality. Most of them are, at heart, still profoundly insecure adolescents.

Posted by: Smartypants | Nov 10, 2011 7:49:18 PM

9. What an incredibly intelligent person!

Posted by: billmiller | Nov 11, 2011 7:41:33 PM