Steven Tyler | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Oprah's New Show

OprahAfter a miniscule retirement from the small screen, Oprah's back on the networks. Her own network, anyway -- the Oprah Winfrey Network's ratings still suck, and if there's one person in the universe who can yank them into the black, it's the founder.

From Just Jared:

The 57-year-old television personality’s next small screen venture will involve her leaving the studio and visiting celebs at their homes.

"After 25 years I got myself out of the studio chairs. I moved into the next chapter, and I am having more fun than ever - moving around the country and the world talking to people I’m really interested in getting to know and I think viewers will be, too," Oprah said in a statement.

Oprah's first episode will apparently feature a visit with Steven Tyler at his home on Lake Sunapee, NH.

Comments

1. "into the black"? Intentional or unintentional?

Posted by: Jeffrey B. | Nov 20, 2011 12:37:21 PM

2. So, is this going to be like, "OWN Cribs"?

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Nov 20, 2011 1:53:33 PM

3. I've never been a great Oprah fan and suspect her venture into a private network is just not going to fly. There is no play on the internet, altho the Rosie show was being uploaded for a couple of weeks before Harpo productions went after the uploaders, so no one gets to see anything on the OWN network unless you can access OWN. If Oprah wants to survive she's going to have to open up the OWN network to public broadcasting. Without doing that OWN is destined to fail.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 20, 2011 1:56:28 PM

4. I subscribe to basic cable and feel all the rest is a waste of time and money. I used to love watching Keith Olbermann but I'm not going to pay for a channel I may watch occasionally, who knows, he may be on a time schedule that does not work for me. That goes for Al Gore, Oprah and anyone else who thinks they should be a "premium" channel, Who decides that anyway? It's not like they are getting any ratings!

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Nov 20, 2011 2:55:47 PM

5. Never understood her popularity. Her show was very boring (I didn't watch many times), she never learnt to ask questions and everything was repeated over and over again.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 20, 2011 2:55:54 PM

6. OWN has increased ratings in every metric from its predecessor "Discovery Health". It's a brand new network that is less than a year old. It takes at least 3 years or so for a brand new network to gain any traction.

Individual networks don't decide what cable tier they are carried on with each cable provider. I'm sure if it were up to OWN they would be on basic cable.

My favorite programs on the network thus far have been "Our America with Lisa Ling" and "Oprah's Lifeclass".

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Nov 20, 2011 3:21:14 PM

7. So what were all those farewells for? Sheesh, she hasn't been out of the limelight for a year and suddenly she wants to hop back in.

Sorry, Oprah, but you seem like such a media whore.

Posted by: jason | Nov 20, 2011 3:23:25 PM

8. I can't stand her. I feel very sorry for the people who are her "fans" - because that's the worse. She's got an incredible number of devoted fanatics - mainly gullible middle America housewives.

She's made herself millions on the back of these people. I think it's very sad.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Nov 20, 2011 3:35:21 PM

9. I love Oprah. She got people who weren't reading and thinking about the meaning of their lives and relationships to start doing this and talking with each other about it. She also provided a platform for LGBT people to reach middle american audiences and modeled compassion for people suffering from discrimination in their communities. I think overall she's been good for America.

At the same time, I have to point out the obvious photoshopping of the image that goes with this article. Can we please stop extending people's necks??! That is definitely NOT Oprah's neck.

Posted by: mike128 | Nov 20, 2011 3:45:01 PM

10. Yeh, St. O, America has joined the rest of the world in imploding economically and politically but somehow you've figured out that more ooohing and ahhhing over celebrities and their homes is just what we need. Thanks so much.

Just one question: which one of your Pocket Gays will you be taking?

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Nov 20, 2011 4:52:55 PM

11. Hello
    I am a big fan of John Travolta i would like to ask where i can watch,download or buy the below
    episodes from The Oprah Winfrey Show with John Travolta as guest star.Thanks for your time
    Thanks for your time

Posted by: greekfans11 | Nov 27, 2011 4:58:46 PM

12. Just watched "Lifeclass" this episode did not have Madonna on it talking about her failed girls school in Malawi, from which her friends spent millions of charity dollars on cars and golf, nor had her homeless brother on air. She really does need to pose with Oprah again using those "black-Aidz" children in an opportunity to get things rolling, Oprah has been such an inspiration and close friend to Madonna and "the gays", you can tell just by watching television.
    Anyway I watched Lifeclass online and realized since Oprah has no children this is her way of utilizing the maternal instinct she warded off in an aspect, plus she collect can a few extra dollars toying with peoples deep personal emotions. The guest helper on Lifeclass took a call from a abused woman and told the abused victim to state on air that "she cannot fix" her abusive partner, and the caller repeated those words "I cannot fix him"-which was great, the advertisers for Pedia Lite didn't come on just yet and I thought, Oprah's helper is trying to fix a caller by giving her advice?
    Its those moments with the people in T.V. land which really are bordering on co-dependency.
    Has anyone read Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury recently-the story contains a world where interactive television is the way people survive.

Posted by: Petis | Dec 4, 2011 8:34:14 AM

13. Should Oprah Winfrey Help The Legendary Chi Lites Family And Legendary Entertainers That Got Exploited And Left In Poverty And Homelessness And Black Icons Who Are Exploited, To Leave Your Thoughts To Oprah Go To http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/A-Course-in-Miracles-Lesson-85 .

For Information On Oprah And This Story Go To Entertainers Against Corruption Magazine

Posted by: The Chi Lites Family And Oprah Winfery | Feb 19, 2013 5:05:19 PM