Education | I'm Gay | News | Republican Party | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Texas Republican Official Confirms He's Gay After Whisper Campaign

George Clayton, a Republican member of the State Board of Education from Richardson, texas, came out of the closet in an email to constituents following a whisper campaign about his sexuality pushed by GOP rival Geraldine “Tincy” Miller in a bid to recapture her old seat, the Dallas Voice reports.

ClaytonSaid Clayton

“It has come to my attention that one of my opponents in my bid for reelection to the State Board of Education and certain member(s) of the Golden Corridor Republican Women’s Club are questioning my sexual orientation. So as to avoid the tyranny of misinformation and innuendo in this political race, I wish to say that I, in fact, do have a male partner who lives with me in my home in Richardson, Texas. I hope this frank announcement satisfies Tincy Miller and the ladies associate with the Golden Corridor organization. All of us can now move on with discussions concerning education instead of being overly occupied with my personal life.”

Did a Republican member of the Texas State Board of Education just come out as gay? [dallas voice]

Comments

1. Pitch perfect.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 18, 2011 11:56:32 AM

2. That's the best way of shutting the rumor mill down. Makes the opponents look small. I don't care for Republicans, but on this score, good luck to him.

Posted by: Albert | Nov 18, 2011 12:05:38 PM

3. What refreshing candor for any politician. Good for him.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Nov 18, 2011 12:14:09 PM

4. Kevin,
    Before giving him a good ole pat on the shoulder, what is his voting record on any LGBT rights or legislation?

Posted by: Austin | Nov 18, 2011 12:19:48 PM

5. SNAP!

Posted by: Mike C. | Nov 18, 2011 12:19:56 PM

6. I applaud this mans forthright honesty & courage. I hope he has plenty more. He'll need it once the Republican thugs of Richardson Texas sick their homophobic dogs on him. Just watch.

Posted by: DearComrade | Nov 18, 2011 12:21:57 PM

7. Yeah, his political career in Texas is over, unless he moves on to Austin or Houston.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 18, 2011 12:29:45 PM

8. Well put.

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 18, 2011 12:46:23 PM

9. There doesn't seem to be a "good guy" in this race. On the one hand, we have a gay candidate who supports the teaching of creationism in public schools, on the other a candidate that supports science, but is willing to exploit homophobia to be elected.

Posted by: Vint | Nov 18, 2011 1:01:08 PM

10. He's toast. It's great that he wants to stick to issues relevant to his position, but I think we all know politicians rarely take the high road and stick to issues. They just want to sling mud and take personal shots at their opponents. This is Texas. People are scared of gays, especially gays who are involved in educating their children. It's sad but true.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 18, 2011 1:09:56 PM

11. Good for him. I'm laughing at the uninformed posts about his career being over in Texas. This was in Richardson, which is part of Dallas, which is home to the 6th largest gay population in the US. The entire city is extremely progressive and gay-friendly. Please inform yourselves before judging an entire State.

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | Nov 18, 2011 1:16:09 PM

12. This is typical right-wing, bigoted, fundamentalist Baptist hypocrisy in Texas. They want 'quiet' homosexuals who don't 'flaunt' their sexuality, but then they'll try to use this as a campaign issue at the drop of a hat. There's really no benefit to being a 'good queer' in the Republican party.

BTW, he's not a state legislator, he's on the State Board of Education. So he won't have a 'voting record' on GLBT issues.

Posted by: Rick Perry's Lover | Nov 18, 2011 1:21:21 PM

13. Good for him, but it's freaky how much he looks like my former business partner (now deceased).

Posted by: anon | Nov 18, 2011 1:31:52 PM

14. He'll have a record on gay issues in schools and, much as I wish I'm wrong, I doubt it's a good one.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 18, 2011 1:56:01 PM

15. it's that thing that we learn at some point in our lives - you can't call us gay as an "insult" when we claim it and own it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 18, 2011 2:07:02 PM

16. I feel sorry for the guy. Probably his party and many of his friends will disown him

And yes - having gay people involved in education is very very important. Think of bullying, getting sex ed in the classroom etc.

BTW I havent checked on TX, which is about as racists as they come, along with old MISS. Eg fairly recently there was an almost clone of dragging death of James Byrd in TX in 1999. A black man was purposely run over by a truck multiple times.

Generally I'm against capital punishment, but we should prob bring back the guilotine for the creeps who did this thing.

BTW it took about 10 years to knock off 2 of the kluxers re the James Byrd murder. the third I hope is having fun in Jail, he did turn states eveidence

Posted by: billy wingarten | Nov 18, 2011 2:27:17 PM

17. He's on the Board of Education. He votes on policy decisions, to be sure, but not legislation. No idea what he's voting record is on LGBT issues, if any have even gone before the Board. But I can still find his candor refreshing even if I disagree with him on every issue.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Nov 18, 2011 2:44:18 PM

18. Yet ANOTHER homophobic straight woman trying to use a man's sexuality against him. Becoming an every day occurence.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 18, 2011 2:51:03 PM

19. You should talk RICK. For every homophobic (and, let's be real, RIGHT WING) straight woman making an asinine comment, there are two dozen self-loathing homophobic comments from you wherein you throw around anger and resentment toward "effeminate gay guys" whom you're still blaming for the fact that your father was ashamed to call you his son.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 18, 2011 3:03:00 PM

20. "The Voice notes that would be the first known openly gay Republican elected official in Texas history."

Yeah, but he wasn't openly gay before the whisper campaign. We'll see if he becomes the first openly gay Republican TO BE ELECTED in Texas history.

Anyway, he handled this well. Too bad he batting for the other team, as it were.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Nov 18, 2011 4:41:35 PM

21. It's good that he came out even under the circumstances, but I hate it that people use being gay as a club to try and beat people down.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Nov 18, 2011 9:21:17 PM

22. If he really supports the teaching of creationism in public schools, he needs to be lose this upcoming election. Irrational/faith-based beliefs shouldn't be coddled in our educational system trying to refute evolution any more than they should be tolerated in trying to promote prejudice against LGBT (or any other) people.

Posted by: Barney Wolfe | Nov 19, 2011 5:06:17 PM

23. Sorry Clay but you're not going to be the first OUT gay Republican to be elected to anything in Richardson Texas. Good old God fearing "Tincy" Miller wants her seat back and she just pulled the plug on your chances of her not getting it. That my friend is exactly what happens to closet cases - sooner or later, deserving or not, someone throws open that closet door and ... yoohoo Clay you're OUT! Had you been half a man you'd have come out years ago, especially if you were going to be a Republican politician - nobody likes eating their own better than the GOP. So hang it up - run on home now cause "Tincy" is going back to the school board and you're not.

Posted by: Tyron | Nov 19, 2011 5:07:54 PM

24. George, have you called Arthur Finkelstein yet?

Posted by: Steve | Nov 19, 2011 5:48:17 PM