Comments

1. Dane B. McFadhen says

Funny??

This is sad. Guess where bullying starts?

Adults lying to kids, about their property, is wrong. Even for a second.

Kimmel and his bunch must be desperate for a laugh.

I have a great sense of humor. I didn’t laugh once. It just pissed me off. And I’m surprised all of you didn’t see the connection between ‘Adults lying to children and child bullies picking on weaker peers’.

Not a good choice for “Haw Haw Hee Haw!” You make us look like jackasses.

2. sparks says

@MT and RAFID – agree with both of ya!

That little boy in the red PJs at the end was terrifyingly smarter than his apparent age. He and his brother were both precious, though.

3. Derrick from Philly says

“Laughing at kids’ reactions to loss and betrayal?”

Oh, come on, Dastius, we’re not talking about a typical night at a Philadelphia Gay bar.

@Dane
    I’ve got the perfect background music for your comment. It’s by Miss Peggy Lee.

“…if that’s all there is, my friends–then let’s keep dancing

Let’s break out the booze and have a ball

If that’s all…there is….”

The End

4. jim says

I see all of your points.

But, (and thanks to Andy for posting this because I’ve been looking for the appropriate forum to suggest this), the last kid, in the red pajamas… doesnt he seem a bit sassy? His mannerisms are almost campy!

I laughed and laughed and laughed at the whole thing and I’m not ashamed to admit it. :)

5. Puh-leez! says

Teaching kids to have a sense of humor by pulling harmless pranks is a great part of growing up & being in a family. It can also teach them what’s important & fun about Halloween: spending fun time w/friends & family being super creative vs. individually hoarding candy, which is hardly valuable & precious. My folks & siblings have endless stories of the tricks we pulled on each other that we laugh about every family get-together–I only wish we had them preserved on camera.

6. Continuum says

I saw this when Kimmel aired it the other night.

I didn’t think it was funny.

I thought it was a mean, cruel trick to play on little kids.

Seems to me, that it merely teaches the kids that it’s OK to be mean to someone if “it’s only a joke”.

It teaches the kids not to trust their own parents.

Just a sad excuse for comedy.

7. Derrick from Philly says

Let me understand this. Some of you are saying that non-serious teasing between family members can lead to bullying and distrust of other people. Over some f.ckin’ candy when you know that they gave them back the candy shortly after the prank.

In the vast majority of families on this planet there is a big difference between good natured teasing and cruel abuse.

Perhaps, for many of us these types of harmless pranks from family and friends (yes, starting in childhood) lead to a healthy humility and a healthy sense of humor.

It’s not like taking your little brother out in frozen January and telling him to stick his tongue on a light post…and leaving him there for an hour.

8. Dastius Krazitauc says

Derrick, of course mere teasing within families is fine. That’s not what this was. This was parents recording the loss of what was probably the most important thing to those small kids at that moment, and then offering up their tears for strangers to laugh at on television.

9. Derrick from Philly says

Well, Dastius, when you explain it like that I have to respect your point of view– I still kinda’ disagree with you about this particular Halloween prank, but I respect your view.

Wow, something told me to bring a flask along with me to work today. But I didn’t intend to start sipping until 4:00pm. I’d better stay away from this blog until then.

10. Robert says

Well…. to all those that are saying this is cruel and not funny…

I had a similar situation happen before between me and my dad, without any cameras or anyone trying to coax him into “bullying” me. I had purchased some cookies from the store that I really liked and was saving for myself. I came home one day and found that the box was empty. My dad was sitting there. He said he ate them all. I screamed at him, calling him a fatass, that he was so disrespectful, blah blah blah. He moves the cow cookie jar in front of me and shows me he put all the cookies in the cookie jar. I was so embarrassed and mad and wanted to laugh, I just walked away. To this day though me and him have a good laugh about it.

So come on guys. Not everything is meant to be the spawn of bullying and war and evil in the world. A light hearted prank is good to break the ice and create stories sometimes.

11. gb says

Seems some of these kids are showing early signs of poor anger management issues…hitting walls,throwing things..parents should be aware of early signs of possible teenage & adult social issues

12. TJ says

Developmentally, younger children are not capable of “getting” jokes. They don’t think it’s funny. They feel betrayed. Pretty sick and cruel, in my opinion. Top it off by recording it and have people laugh at your child’s distress? Wow.

13. AJ says

Oh lord. These kids are as emotionally damaged as the ones who accidentally saw Janet’s nipple a few years ago. It’s a harmless prank. The family that pranks together stays together. And the two at the end are absolutely adorable.

14. DeeperStill says

Oh, lighten up! My entire family played every kind of prank on me, when I was little, even “meaner” than these. We still laugh about some of them. I wouldn’t have missed a single one of them.

15. mboaz says

I don’t think the kid in the red was in on it. I think he’s just really mature – the way he addresses his younger brother about his miscalculation is priceless!

I respect the comments that suggest this is cruel, however, in most cases I think this “prank” could easily be turned into a teachable moment. Yes, I think many of these parents could use this prank as away to disavow jokes that hurt others feelings. Granted this approach could only work on kids 4 and up but it could be well worth it.

I appreciate the commenters who noticed some really inappropriate responses in the older kids. Hitting walls and throwing things is a sure sign of anger management issues. Get on that parents!

16. Beef and Fur says

Yep. I was “teased” just like this by my dad when I was a kid….of course the teasing didn’t stop there. But I was a sissy and called “Veronica” because I couldn’t deal with it at the mature age of 4. His death from old age won’t come soon enough.