Food and Drink | News | Thanksgiving

Just Put the F**king Turkey in the Oven: VIDEO

Turkey

Mary Risley of San Francisco's 'Food Runners' talks turkey, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. All of a sudden I want to cook a F*uckin' Turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving you crazy Amur-cans!

Love from Canad-er. xo

Posted by: Autarchic | Nov 24, 2011 3:28:04 PM

2. I use the cooking bags, follow the instructions for cooking per pound and it always comes out perfect. Never a a dry or undercooked bird in 25 years. Thank God for the cooking bags!!!!

Posted by: Dale | Nov 24, 2011 3:47:18 PM

3. Well, 2 out of 3 commenters are Canadians.

Loving Mary. Cheers

Happy Thanksgiving my American brothers and sisters!

This year, I hope Uncle Marcus makes a BIIIIG announcement at the Bachmann family dinner!

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 24, 2011 3:54:40 PM

4. Thank god I'm not the only one that thinks turkey tastes terrible. Just stop it with the turkey, it doesn't taste good. I don't care that it is traditional blah blah blah, it sucks. Do what I did and institute thanksgiving ham, everyone will be happier.

Posted by: John M | Nov 24, 2011 7:18:41 PM

5. So only PC people get to watch? i've installed the latest flast in Chrome and Firefox and still...just a photo and no working link to any video at all. Just circling around to this page over and over or to a still photograph.

Posted by: stoid | Nov 24, 2011 9:30:50 PM

6. @Dale: YES! Cooking bags rock!

And it's about the easiest thing to clean in the world, no more late night scrubbing on the turkey roaster.

Plus: skip stuffing altogether (much safer) and put apples, carrots, onion and cranberries in that sucker. Comes out perfect. Oh, and don't eat those apples later. :-) HINT: Once it's done, let it sit for about 30 minutes without opening that bag. Soooo moist.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 24, 2011 10:39:19 PM

7. Indeed, lots of Canadians. I'm Canadian too.

Posted by: Rafa | Nov 24, 2011 11:40:48 PM

8. Resting the turkey for 30 minutes after it comes out of the oven before carving is the key. The juices reabsorb and it's moist and delicious!

Posted by: Q | Nov 25, 2011 2:39:11 AM

9. She lost me at the neck and gizzards.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 25, 2011 10:30:02 AM

10. I've never seen this woman, but I must admit I found her fascinating and couldn't stop watching! She's like a stoner/hippy version of Julia Child.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 25, 2011 10:39:48 AM

11. Not sure that I would trust her to teach me anything besides how to roll a joint. She's absolutely wrong about brining---it's a simple, failsafe way to make turkey delicious.

And if I'm going to cook for guests, I would prefer that the food be good. I agree that you shouldn't be an annoying stress case about it, but it's not rocket science either.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 25, 2011 10:48:52 PM

12. thx for video !

Posted by: custom essays | Nov 26, 2011 7:06:33 PM

13. Cook a capon instead of turkey. Big, delicious, and poultry. It will still look like a picture, but taste tons better.

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 27, 2011 12:34:27 PM

14. is that REALLY a woman???....really???

Posted by: Jamie | Nov 27, 2011 8:04:55 PM