Deaths

Jamiel Terry, Out Gay Son of Anti-Abortion Activist Randall Terry, Killed in Head-on Collision

Jamiel Terry, the out gay adopted son of anti-abortion activist Randall Terry, has been killed in a car accident:

TerryOn November 30, at 7:00 A.M., Jamiel Terry, age 31, was killed in a head on collision in Lilburn, Georgia. Gwinnett police spokesman Jake Smith said that the three passengers in the other vehicle were hospitalized with injuries that were not life threatening. The cause of the crash has not yet been determined.

Jamiel Terry was the adopted son of Operation Rescue Founder, Randall Terry, who is currently in the Democratic Primary for President for 2012.

Back in 2004 (in one of probably my earliest 'news' updates for this site), I posted about Randall Terry's selfish plea for sympathy when Jamiel came out in OUT magazine, in a WorldNetDaily editorial:

I am still in a state of shock; I have been grieving for days. My son, Jamiel Terry, was paid $5,000 by Out magazine (to appear April 20, 2004, on newsstands) to write a story about being Randall Terry's homosexual son. I pray my following words help other grieving parents and serve as a warning to moms and dads of small children to be unflinchingly and unashamedly diligent to protect their children from predators, and bring a reality check to those exploiting my son....

...For the uninformed, Out magazine specializes in bringing homosexuals "out of the closet." Out is committed to the homosexual agenda – homosexual marriage, special "civil rights" for homosexuals, promoting the fallacy that their sexual activities are normal and even laudable. Their agenda is shameless. My son was offered $5,000 to "write" a story about me and his life with me and my family. However, much of the story was written by Out's editor who put words in my son's mouth to accomplish the magazine's agenda.

Read his full editorial here.

Says Terry of his son's death:

"While we remained irreconcilable on the issue of 'homosexual marriage,' Jamiel remained firmly pro-life, and recently helped convince a young woman to not kill her child by abortion. There were many other issues that we kicked around -- with laughter and good humor.

"We had recently agreed to hold joint speaking events at colleges and other venues, to discuss and debate the issues that are dear to us as a 'father and son' lecture team. I wish to God we had been able to do even one of them.

"We beg you for your prayers for our family, and beg you to pray for the mercy of God, and the eternal rest of Jamiel's soul. He will be sorely missed. We still cannot believe this is happening. God have mercy; Christ have mercy."

Jeremy Hooper at Good as You notes: "Life is too short for 'culture war.'"

RIP Jamiel Terry.

Comments

1. wow, randall terry has no shame.

Posted by: scott | Dec 2, 2011 8:32:29 AM

2. I sincerely doubt that Out magazine has ever paid a writer $5,000 for a single article. That's absurdly high even for mainstream mags. More like $500.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 2, 2011 8:51:07 AM

3. This is just sad beyond words. Such a bright and handsome young man, lost so young. The world has a gap in it now.

I don't even know what to say or how to begin with the undeserving ingrate that was priviledged to adopt Jamiel and then failed to recognize the blessing he had been given.

Like I said, this is just sad.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 2, 2011 9:12:16 AM

4. Very sad news about Jamiel Terry. I feel for his family.

All the same, Randall Terry's statements about how much Out paid his son to come out in the magazine were subsequently revealed to be false, as was Randall Terry's assertion that his son did not write the coming-out article.

Towleroad has a journalistic duty not to leave Randall Terry's statements stand. They were not just selfish; they were deeply erroneous.

Posted by: allan | Dec 2, 2011 9:50:55 AM

5. The pity I feel for Randall Terry is that he clearly was never able to fully accept his son during his son's lifetime.Now all he has left is his belief in God. Perhaps for him, the "mysterious workings" of a God who would kill his son in his prime is better than fully realizing his love as a parent.

You don't know what you've got til it's gone...

Posted by: luminum | Dec 2, 2011 10:15:36 AM

6. I find it disgusting that Randall Terry is asking for donations to pay for his own son's headstone.

Posted by: sylvatica | Dec 2, 2011 10:29:07 AM

7. Sick jerk @ Randall not Jamiel.

RIP Jamiel it breaks my heart you were never truly loved or accepted by your father for who you were and who you could not help being to begin with.

Rot in hell Randall Terry parents like you make me sick.

Posted by: Michael | Dec 2, 2011 11:14:37 AM

8. Randall Terry is something of a confirmed basket case with a long string of destructive and self-destructive incidents in his wake. The delusion that his son was gay for pay probably did not even convince fellow evangelicals.

Posted by: anon | Dec 2, 2011 11:39:11 AM

9. Always tragic to hear of anyone losing a child, whatever their political leanings. My prayers go out for Mr. Terry, and for his son. But Randall did accept his son, right? They were obviously on speaking terms if they were making joint appearances. From what I've seen, most of famous conservatives who have gay children or relatives DO accept them (Phyllis Schlafly, Newt Gingrich, Christine O'Donnell, etc..)

But of course what Mr. Hooper means by "Life is too short for culture war" is basically "Randall Terry should give up being a social conservative." That's what statements like this always mean.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 2, 2011 11:40:45 AM

10. @MARY Randall Terry has made a career out of promoting hatred, ignorance, bigotry and intolerance. Life IS too short for the idiotic, destructive, divisive and insidious "culture wars" that are a cancer on the American body politic. Yes, Randall Terry SHOULD give up being the kind of "social conservative" you claim him to be and obviously admire him for. Adolph Hitler was also a social conservative, by the way.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 2, 2011 12:00:04 PM

11. Karma?

Posted by: Charley | Dec 2, 2011 12:00:07 PM

12. Randall should now be relieved that he no longer has a "son" to be ashamed of. Perhaps the head-on crash should have involved Randall instead of Jamiel. Then we would be rid of another hopeless bigot.

Posted by: Pointed | Dec 2, 2011 12:06:30 PM

13. Although it seems that Randall never accepted his son for who he was, the loss of a child is a terrible thing, especially one with such a great future and potential to make changes in this homophobic society we are living in. It saddens me and I know it leaves another "hole" in the world when any young person dies. We are the ones that have lost a son. Whether Mr. Terry ever comes to grips with having a gay son is his issue. That, along with his bigotry and apparent inability to accept even his own son for who he was will be something that he will have to live with, and be reminded of frequently. We'll miss you Jamiel.

Posted by: Barry | Dec 2, 2011 1:50:56 PM

14. may randall spend the rest of his life repenting for this sins of piety and bigotry that drove him away from being able to have a meaningful relationship with his son.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 2, 2011 1:55:25 PM

15. oh, and you guys will have to ignore mary. She's a completely ignorant bigot. but rest assured, God has seen to it that she will never have children of her own, so that's good news.

mary, for the uninitiated, believes that gay couples should not be allowed to marry. why? here's her reasoning - if gay couples can marry it will mean that there's less bigotry against gay people, and without bigotry against gay people in our culture we'll have more heterosexual men choosing to no longer be straight and to engage in male-male relationships. that's literally Mary's fear.

without an anti-gay energy in our culture there will be nothing stopping straight men from ignoring their heterosexual desires and they'll all choose to have male lovers, despite not being sexually attracted to males.

that's the mindset of Mary. that she will never have children indeed proves that God exists.
    ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 2, 2011 1:58:23 PM

16. They say God works in mysterious ways. It's sad that Terry still can't see why Jamiel was brought into his life.

Posted by: Mk_Ultra_Again | Dec 2, 2011 4:36:50 PM

17. There are 'believers' out there who would call Jamiel's death the work of the Lord, believe that we choose death when we 'choose' to be gay. I wonder what Randall thinks about that concept.

Posted by: antisaint | Dec 2, 2011 5:37:02 PM

18. For the record, Kiwi is completely misrepresenting my case against gay marriage. Those interested can go to comments thread for "Maggie Gallagher offers tips on defending your anti-gay views at Thanksgiving dinner" and read what both of us wrote. I predicted that he'd misrepresent my views and exactly the way in which he'd do it - and I was 100% right.

He ignores my response to the misrepresentation and insults me on a different thread - hoping no one will read the original exchange of views.

And Kiwi, how many time are you going to say that you're glad I can't have children? You want to wound me by saying something that's supposed to be beyond the pale to say to a childless woman. I get it.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 2, 2011 9:59:06 PM

19. Jamiel was a close friend, he and I braved many storms together. Usually finding solace in a the first couple Lifehouse CDs. Being gay was only a small part of who he was as a human being. It hurt him to his core that the father he so loved and was once close too, had basically thrown him away. When I heard of his passing I thought to myself " I'll bet his father won't even pay for the funeral unless he can get some publicity out of it." It is sad that Randell Terry couldn't see he beautiful man I, and many others did. And as for getting paid for the article. It was $1,400 as I recall.I was there

Posted by: Tina Pinnix | Dec 3, 2011 1:49:44 AM

20. All his Hating will not bring his son back. Where is ur God now? I feel good, actually happy!

Posted by: Rafa4ever | Dec 3, 2011 2:30:18 AM

21. The only grief I feel is for Jamiel Terry, the gay adopted son of an anti-gay bigot and denier of woman's reproductive health rights.

The plea from his father is selfish and nonsensical. You can't manipulate or lure
    a person into being gay or straight as their true straight or true gay identity one day trumps all the previous denying and pretense.

Too bad that Randall Terry didn't accept his son as a gay man instead of as a fictional "straight" pretender who would have umpteen kids by a woman and then wreck her life and that of his kids by finding out he couldn't maintain the straight pretense any further just on the basis of pleasing and appeasing his tyrannical homophobic father. As opposed to being authentic and true to himself as a gay man.

Posted by: Mousemess | Dec 4, 2011 10:06:00 AM

22. I wish that you all who think that my grandfather, Randall Terry, did not love my uncle would stop what you're saying. He was deeply in love with my uncle. Yes my grandfather may be extremely religious and yes he may have made choices that go against his beliefs, but he accepted all of his children no matter what. My uncle would have hated to read of these awful things you have said about my grandfather. Ultimately, Jamiel and Grandpa Terry's relationship was theirs and they love each other very much.Instead of worrying about my grandfather, please pray for our heartbreak.

Posted by: Shay(Jamiel's Niece) | Dec 4, 2011 6:56:53 PM

23. He looks like Jaye Davidson of "The Crying Game" did back when that film came out.

Posted by: Xav | Jan 11, 2012 11:30:02 AM