Archbishop John Nienstedt | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Minnesota Catholic Bishop Nienstedt Asks State's Catholics to Recite Anti-Gay 'Marriage Prayer' at Mass

Nienstedt

Virulent anti-gay Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt, the guy who spearheaded a mass mailing last year of 400,000 anti-gay DVDs, has created a special "marriage prayer" which he is asking the state's Catholics to recite during Mass in an effort to create support for the anti-gay amendment on Minnesota's ballot in November 2012.

NienstedtHere is Nienstedt's prayer:

Heavenly Father,

Through the powerful intercession of the Holy Family, grant to this local Church the many graces we need to foster, strengthen, and support faith-filled, holy marriages and holy families.

May the vocation of married life, a true calling to share in your own divine and creative life, be recognized by all believers as a source of blessing and joy, and a revelation of your own divine goodness.

Grant to us all the gift of courage to proclaim and defend your plan for marriage, which is the union of one man and one woman in a lifelong, exclusive relationship of loving trust, compassion, and generosity, open to the conception of children.

We make our prayer through Jesus Christ, who is Lord forever and ever. Amen.

Earlier this year, Nienstedt instructed every priest in the state to push for passage of the amendment. This appears to be another component of his evil plot.

Comments

1. I'm surprised the bishop didn't add something about having "compassion" for those unfortunate unmarried gay Catholics who must "suffer in silence" because they aren't heterosexual.

Posted by: Brendan | Dec 16, 2011 1:07:54 PM

2. I love how he feels that, in the prayer, he needs to explain to God what His plan is for marriage. Just in case you forgot, God, here's what your plan is.

Posted by: michaelofthegreen | Dec 16, 2011 1:08:22 PM

3. Oh, puke. I was raised Catholic and a lot of it is still in my DNA. But how about let's yank the monster tax exemption that's afforded these lace-clad politicians?

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Dec 16, 2011 1:09:13 PM

4. uh oh. sounds like somebody is desperately trying to run from their rentboy past that's about to catch up with them.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 16, 2011 1:12:18 PM

5. If any other organization put this in their mission statement, the would be categorized as a hate group.

I hope that any gay member of the church reads this 'prayer' and internalizes the message.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Dec 16, 2011 1:16:00 PM

6. I can't wait for his prayer about eating pork and shellfish.

Posted by: Ray | Dec 16, 2011 1:17:42 PM

7. This is the same Catholic Church that sanctified the third marriage of Newt Gingrich to his mistress.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Dec 16, 2011 1:29:10 PM

8. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of very angry parishioners who will walk out of mass if they try to put this prayer into the ceremony. This may be a bridge too far for the bishops. Lots of Catholics have gay family members. They are becoming more, rather than less sympathetic with calls for civil rights for gays, and resent the bishops' bigotry on our issues. To ask these family members to join in on the hate prayer may not go over very well. I don't think my family members will fall in line.

Posted by: candideinnc | Dec 16, 2011 1:35:09 PM

9. This is the same church that made me an outcast to my italian catholic family for the last 35 years. Wow, I can't imagine how wonderful it must feel to be my parents and say this lovely "prayer"...indoctrinating catholics to the power of hate. The good news is that for me, the pain is gone...but for my parents, thanks to the catholic church...they live in pain every day.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 16, 2011 1:38:20 PM

10. When New York passed gay marraige, something like 65% of all Catholics agreed with the new law. In general, Catholics are more in favor of gay rights and marraige than Protestants. The Catholic Church itself needs to realize its members are not as hateful and bigoted as the church leaders. I imagine for a lot of Catholics this might be a step too far.

Posted by: KP | Dec 16, 2011 1:40:02 PM

11. "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?" - Henry II, 'A Man for All Seasons'

Posted by: mike/ | Dec 16, 2011 1:43:46 PM

12. I sincerely hope the Catholics who DON'T agree with this schmuck, which according to polls is the majority of them, don't just let this pass and tell Nienstedt to shove his prayer up his *ss.

How ridiculous is it to believe that a nun or priest or Bishop or Cardinal or Pope is something other than just another person who happens to be a functionary in a religious bureaucracy, that they are more "holy" than you and actually a conduit to God? (I mean aside from the already silly religious mumbo jumbo.) Umm, the fact the Catholic church decided a long time ago to protect its own reputation, interests, and property instead of protecting their parishioners from sexual abusers should have been a huge whopping clue about exactly how "holy" they really are!

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 16, 2011 1:43:55 PM

13. This from the guy in the hot pink dress!

Posted by: SebastianQ | Dec 16, 2011 1:56:15 PM

14. First, unbelievable that this church is still tyirng to pretend it can just ignore its own mess and tell others how to behave.

Second. Garbage like this is why I'm glad to call myself a recovering catholic. The hierarchy of this organization long ago lost touch and credibility with their parishoners over divorce, birth control, abortion, etc - to say nothign of the sex abuse scandals. The majority of even practicing catholics live their lives and ignore the church edicts. I can remember my father, not the most liberal man in the world, saying of priests, "How can these guys who have no idea what life is like, tell people how they should live their lives?"

Posted by: Rob | Dec 16, 2011 2:00:30 PM

15. Um, Mike, that's "Becket," but obviously your heart is in the right place.

Posted by: Marguerite Gautier | Dec 16, 2011 2:05:21 PM

16. I hope that the 'God' he so professes in smites him into the ground & burns his church into ashes.

'I'VE HAD ENOUGH! This is my prayer: that I'll die livin' just as free as my hair!'
    ~Gaga

Posted by: redball | Dec 16, 2011 2:08:06 PM

17. this is the first time I've seen a pic of ol' Nienstadt.

Gaydar, anyone? Mine's going off at a "10."

Posted by: Danny | Dec 16, 2011 2:13:18 PM

18. Hate group, plain and simple. Contact your elected officials and demand their tax exempt status be revoked.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 16, 2011 2:28:08 PM

19. Didn't they have this same prayer about lonely old women flying through the air on broomsticks whom they called "witches" ?

And if I recall the next step was the publication of "Malleus Mallficiarum "...and a lot of burnings.

Learned a lot lately , you papist tossers ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 16, 2011 2:44:40 PM

20. Ah, Prayer. How to do nothing and still think you're helping.

It would be fine by me if they confined themselves to hurling imprecations into the uncaring void. It's when they seek legal support for their bigotries that I worry about.

Posted by: Urmensch | Dec 16, 2011 2:47:01 PM

21. The Catholic cult is morally bankrupt. How hypocritical and bigoted of them given its almost 2 millenia old tradition of pedophilia, pederasty and misogyny. It should be shut down, its assets confiscated, sold and the proceeds distributed to those it claims to help, ergo the poor and disenfranchised in keeping with the teaching of their leader, Jesus Christ. They're NO christians in any way shape or form.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 16, 2011 2:56:05 PM

22. Back to the burnings;
    back to the Inquisition;
    back to the Crusades against the Muslims; back to their gobeldy gook about Limbo; back to the unbaptised not being buried in holy ground;
    back to these Bishops and their famous fascist salute outside the cathedral at Burgos;
    back to their mumbo-jumbo apparitions.......

....and we should listen to this ?
    and they should have the temerity to express any judgment on our lives ?

I have said it many times on this blog:
    "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest ?"

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 16, 2011 3:07:41 PM

23. Remind me again why they don't pay their f**king taxes if they are basically going to be a political advocacy organization?

Posted by: ChrisQ | Dec 16, 2011 4:18:49 PM

24. "...your plan for marriage, which is the union of one man and one woman in a lifelong, exclusive relationship of loving trust, compassion, and generosity, open to the conception of children."

1) Mr. Nienstedt just declared that all marriages of post-menopausal women are invalid, as are all marriages of those previously divorced (except Newt, of course, 'cause he probably provided some baubles from Tiffany's to shut up the leaders of this "church" and get his double annulment), and all those married by JPs and judges outside of a church. Wonder when he'll start advocating for legislation to make those relationships illegal.

2) Why is it that any LGBT person, or any person who believes in the equality of LGBT people, allows this SOB to function in society? I mean, even an "Archbishop" (as a former Catholic I no longer accept either the titles of the Catholic leadership or alleged privileges those titles allegedly include) has to go to stores, restaurants, barber shops, etc. If you are in MN and this SOB comes into your store, throw him out. If you're eating at a restaurant and he arrives, insist the manager throw him out and, if the manager won't, loudly end your meal, declaring you can't eat near a bigot. It is long past the time that people like this should be shunned by all decent human beings.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Dec 16, 2011 4:25:46 PM

25. Ohhh the Archbigot looks sooo FETCHING in his cranberry dress with matching pillbox hat. Tres chic.

Posted by: Chicklets | Dec 16, 2011 6:11:25 PM