Advertising | Guns | News | North Carolina

North Carolina Gun Range Promises to 'Convert Pansies'

Pansies

Pro Shots, a North Carolina shooting range, has put up this billboard outside of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and it has the attention of Equality North Carolina. On the group's Facebook page followers are condemning it as "veiled homophobic hate speech."

Negative comments have already begun turning up on the shooting range's Facebook page as well.

Writes Kathy Clark:

"The Pansies Converted Daily billboard is quite possibly the most offensive advertisement I've ever seen. Congratulations. According to dictionary.com, the slang meaning of the word pansy is a) a male homosexual, b) a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man." Either way, it is derogatory and designed to intimidate a certain population. Your billboard is an example of institutionalized bullying which incites violence towards homosexuals. Or do you actually have pots of pansies that people shoot, thus converting them to rubble? Please clarify your meaning. If I am incorrect in my assumption, I will promptly apologize and come to your range to destroy flower pots."

Comments

1. What if you're a pansy who also likes guns?

Posted by: joe | Dec 13, 2011 10:38:13 AM

2. Sometimes i think people over react. Its not necessarily homophobic, but it does present a rather limited view of masculinity, that a real man has to use a gun regularly.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 13, 2011 10:46:06 AM

3. Kathy Clark and everyone else who got their panties in a bunch over this one is a pansy. Ironic.

Posted by: Lisa G | Dec 13, 2011 10:47:25 AM

4. Here we go again with the victim complex.

If you think that's homophobic, then you must identify as a pansy. I certainly don't.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 10:47:40 AM

5. I'm not really offended by the billboard.

Is it possible we have arrived at a point where we just find fault with everything? I definitely see the humour in the billboard

Posted by: jtramon | Dec 13, 2011 10:48:36 AM

6. What I find remarkable is the idea that the only thing which stands between a good 'ole boy and pansy-hood is a gun. It implies that Pansy-hood is something that is dependent upon your possessions -- not upon your character or demeanor. Take away their guns and they are all pansies at heart?

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Dec 13, 2011 10:49:34 AM

7. Equality North Carolina should organize a gay night at ProShots. Given the diversity of the GLBT population, there's got to be enough recreational gun users to make it a success.

Posted by: james | Dec 13, 2011 10:51:45 AM

8. I consider myself quite sensitive to homophobic remarks, but I always thought pansy was just another word for a dandy. To me, someone who is a pansy is fussy and neat and dresses nicely, etc. Now that may describe some gay men, but not all of us.

There are some words and phrases which directly target gay people, but this is not one of them. Certainly some people might use it to attack gay people, but those people might also use the word wimp to attack a gay man. That does not mean the word wimp is always anti-gay.

Then again, maybe it is a generational thing. I do not think most folks under 30 use the word pansy as an insult.

Posted by: joeyhegele | Dec 13, 2011 11:04:30 AM

9. Y'all stop rationalizing. It's homophobic.
    Only the "geighs" are viewed as needing conversion. Wimps, wusses, nerds etc. are not seen as needing conversion.

Posted by: NwYrkr | Dec 13, 2011 11:10:38 AM

10. Homophobic my ass. It's aimed at "wimps" (though I know many a non-shooter who could whip anyone at that range), and it's meant to be "funny."

Get a life, Kathy Clark.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 13, 2011 11:12:30 AM

11. OK, North Carolina, you've got a whole bunch of more important stuff than this faux controversy to worry about. Don't be a bunch of pansies.

Posted by: Patrick Wellington III | Dec 13, 2011 11:14:04 AM

12. Its apparent that people like to be offended. Gives people something to do I guess.

Posted by: Ted | Dec 13, 2011 11:18:47 AM

13. Has anyone actually bothered to ASK ProShots about it??? I have never been there; don't know anything about them. However, the range that I do frequent seems to have not issue with anyone from any demographic.

Posted by: sgw | Dec 13, 2011 11:20:47 AM

14. For the record, Kathy Clark posted this photo on Equality North Carolina's Facebook wall... I'd hardly call that "having their attention." And she joined their Facebook group within the last week.

This is little more than a faux-activist trying to drum up a ruckus. I'm sure the real gays and lesbians of North Carolina have far more important issues to address.

Why the hell is a woman rushing to defend us poor helpless pansies anyway? Apparently, that's how she thinks of us. We got it, girl. Simmer down.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 11:22:02 AM

15. that facebook post is more heterosexist than the billboard. this lady basically implies that 'gay men are pansies.' not even sure who she is or why her fb post is relevant at all... she's not even a gay man, probly just one of those girls that 'get offended at stuff' because it makes them seem 'enlightened.'

Posted by: bro-mosexual | Dec 13, 2011 11:32:33 AM

16. I don't know the intention of the range owners but I will side with the gay community on this one. If people are going to compalin about political correctness then the least they can do is avoid what they know will be taken as insulting statements. There are other ways to be funny - and other ways to express opposition to gay rights than to make tacky jokes like this. My guess is that the word "pansy" WAS intended to refer to gays. They certainly weren't talking about shooting flowers.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 13, 2011 11:48:46 AM

17. Oh yay, another woman taking our side. This is like when white people call something racist that African-Americans don't have any problem with.

Stop calling us pansies, Mary!

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 11:54:08 AM

18. Jesus. Here we go again with the apologists for homophobia and heterosexism.

Know your history folks. A pansy is an effeminate homosexual. If you object to the linking of effeminacy and homosexuality you should be EVEN MORE angry that the billboard connects the two, instead of claiming, in effect, "well, I'm not effeminate, so it's OK to bash gay people who are." Idiots.

The billboard makes its point ONLY if pansies are
    gay men or
    effeminate men
    AND THAT IS A BAD THING THAT REQUIRES CONVERTING.
    With guns.

So we have conversion and gun violence targeted at gender-nonconforming men.

How can you not get this? Are you so brainwashed by heteronormative society? Sad. Very sad.

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 13, 2011 11:57:11 AM

19. Not Offensive? Get a grip people and simply replace the word "Pansies" with the derogatory minority coded term of your choice.... For starters... "coons" "spades" "wetbacks" etc...

Pansy = "gay" BIG TIME.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Dec 13, 2011 11:57:43 AM

20. It's a *horrible* ad. The headline is blatantly bigoted (whether toward gays or wimpy straight men) and hints at homicide. The font used is completely pedestrian. But even worse is the atrocious layout--the eye has no idea where to land. Even a first year advertising student would be embarrassed to submit this piece of shite for review.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 13, 2011 12:01:12 PM

21. Please read KEVINVT's post above. Nothing else needs saying.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 13, 2011 12:05:02 PM

22. not sure what ur talking abt, kevin bro... a 'pansy' is just a soft guy who could be str8 too. also the ad isnt abt violence against 'pansies'... it is implying shooting a gun will make a 'pansy' turn in2 a real man.

Posted by: bro-mosexual | Dec 13, 2011 12:12:06 PM

23. You're right Kevin, here we go again... with the professional victims begging to be offended.

If you think pansies means effeminate homosexual, it says more about you than it does this billboard.

Posted by: endo | Dec 13, 2011 12:12:36 PM

24. All you people who don't have a problem with the billboard should go sign up! I think all the gays should carry a gun.

So do it. Don't be a pu-sy!

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Dec 13, 2011 12:16:52 PM

25. This one is tough for me to judge. I don't think the intent was to be homophobic. People constantly use the word "pansy" without any intention related to homosexuality at all. The word is used to connote weakness, lameness, not strong or manly. Of course, some people associate gays with these traits, but far from all or even most today. I think this is yet another case where gay men may be much more sensitized to words than the general population. Also, the ad is not saying that pansies or weak men should be victimized; only that, once they go to the shooting range, they transform into manly men. It is straining to say that the ad is saying that gay men are transformed by going to a shooting range. I think it is a stretch to view it as anti-gay.

Posted by: Javier | Dec 13, 2011 12:18:37 PM