News | Russell Simmons

Russell Simmons Buys Up Remaining Ads on 'All-American Muslim' in Response to Florida 'Family' Group

Simmons

Over the weekend, Brandon posted about Lowe's decision to pull ads from the TLC show "All-American Muslim" after complaints from the Florida Family Association that the show is "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values."

Yesterday, Russell Simmons and his Rush Card announced that they had bought up all remaining advertising for the show in response to the evangelical group's actions.

There is also a petition underway to repudiate calls for advertisers to boycott the show.

Comments

1. Just bought a small four unit apartment complex. Tiny really, but still big deal for me and my architect friend (also gay) told me Lowes was the place to purchase stuff. They've been great so far as there is a lot of rehab that needs to be done. But after this, I've told my friend Lowes no more and want to write to them telling same. Any idea who the best person to write at Lowes is? They don't seem to care, but maybe their shareholders will?

Posted by: Secret Identity | Dec 13, 2011 11:44:00 AM

2. That is great news to me... I just love to see these bigots trashed

Posted by: Awesome | Dec 13, 2011 11:59:07 AM

3. Go Russell!

Posted by: Chuy | Dec 13, 2011 12:23:54 PM

4. and what about that 700 club show and how they present political topics? isn't that propaganda too?

Posted by: Jed | Dec 13, 2011 12:36:15 PM

5. I don't know why I'm surprised that a corporation would pander to a hate group. Politicians do it all of the time, but for some reason it amazes me that a company would pull add just because a small group of people say that they want to see some of their fellow Americans portrayed as terrorists, and not ordinary people.

Posted by: cadence | Dec 13, 2011 12:38:21 PM

6. Go Russell! :D

Posted by: luminum | Dec 13, 2011 1:18:12 PM

7. I love this guy. We need more people like this.

Posted by: david | Dec 13, 2011 2:23:34 PM

8. Russell is a good guy

Posted by: say what | Dec 13, 2011 2:29:44 PM

9. This is two or three really positive stories I've read coming from him lately. Hmm... I feel as though he should strongly consider running for office.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 13, 2011 3:48:16 PM

10. Now that's putting money where your mouth is!

Posted by: PDX Guy | Dec 13, 2011 5:26:08 PM

11. thank you to Russell Simmons for being a real american and standing up for real american values. The big question i have is who is the Florida Family Association? Who backs it financially, who are members? Is it like NOM, with 6 financial backers? Is it the same people? Are we just dealing with 6 or 7 rich bigots overall? If so, it is time to expose them

Posted by: craig fox | Dec 13, 2011 5:43:25 PM

12. Well done Russell Simmons, this is equivalent to giving the finger to the Florida Family Association and the big wig bigots at Lowes.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Dec 13, 2011 7:13:05 PM

13. The Florida Family Association Inc. (David Caton President) 990 tax filings have some interesting information. They claim in recent years to have received no donation for more than 2% of the total donated. Thus no donors are reportable to the IRS. That seems atypical for these types of organizations.

More interesting are the expenditures for various types of insurance which are not listed as employee compensation, but which in some recent years exceed all salaries paid by the organization.

Someone should have this looked at by a qualified expert to determine if anything is irregular in these filings.

Posted by: ren | Dec 13, 2011 10:11:33 PM

14. Like Secret Identity listed above, I just bought a 7 unit bldg that needs lots of stuff and there's no way I'm going to spend a dollar at Lowe's.

Gay people understand all too well, the danger of allowing religious pressure to influence secular policy. And this pressure is born out of ignorance no less.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Dec 14, 2011 1:28:40 AM

15. HMMM... Lowes and their main competitor, Home Depot, have been in some hot water of late. Time to support your local hardware store again.

Posted by: John | Dec 14, 2011 2:17:19 PM