Gay Marriage | Health | Massachusetts | Science

Study Finds Marriage Equality Leads To Increased Health

HealthserpGay marriage is good for you, according to a new study published in The American Journal of Public Health

A research team comprising six doctors arrived at this conclusion after tracking the visits of 1,211 gay men to a large community health clinic in Massachusetts for 12 months before and 12 months after gay marriage was legalized in that state. After marriage was legalized, they found that men visited the clinic less often, and with less costly ailments, than they had before. (Lesbians weren't included in the study, because they hardly ever visited the clinic anwyay.)

Weirdly, the results don't correlate with partnership status, suggesting that the health benefits of marriage equality extend even to those for whom marriage isn't an imminent prospect.

Comments

1. I don't find much to trust in these results, but then I never do in most studies involving supposedly random samples. Perhaps I'm a snob, but I've never gone to a community health clinic, nor has anyone I've ever known who has a job---so socioeconomic issues are seemingly ignored. (Not to mention, these results only cover one clinic.) There are no links to partnership status, so the decline in visits has no clear links to same-sex marriage---it could be linked to a milder flu season or better information on avoiding STIs. And so on.

Based on the reported "findings," there are no correlates here. I wish there were, but wishing doesn't make things true.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 18, 2011 11:23:57 AM

2. What Paul R said.

Posted by: John | Dec 18, 2011 11:32:52 AM

3. what Paul said, as well. AND even if the study guaranteed that gay marriage makes our buttholes sparkle, the Christian right wouldnt care because you may forget that most of them want us dead anyway. SO as you see, our living longer healthier lives is of no consequence to them and the people who it affects are already mostly in favor of it anyway.

Posted by: JWL | Dec 18, 2011 11:52:04 AM

4. This is good news. But even better is that you used "comprising" correctly, unlike almost all the mainstream media. Thank you so much.

Posted by: coolbear | Dec 18, 2011 2:04:18 PM

5. While this sounds awesome, I think it's a little premature. In just 24 months, there could be a number of causes that resulted in better health, not just same-sex marriage. If a long-term study showed this, then that would be something to shove in the face of haters.

And just a minor note Brandon, the symbol you used is a caduceus, which is the symbol for commerce, not medicine.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 18, 2011 2:06:40 PM

6. @Dave. Are you sure?

Posted by: sylvatica | Dec 18, 2011 3:09:50 PM

7. Dave's right, it is commonly misused as a medical sign, but who cares.

Posted by: JWL | Dec 18, 2011 4:33:44 PM

8. Almost 13 years ago, now, I entered heart failure. 12 years ago, I had my first heart surgery. Since the surgery, I have not been able to go a full two months without being hospitalized for, at least, three days.

November 2nd, 2010, 2011 marks the first time since September, 1999, that I have not been hospitalized, at least once, in a year.

(Oh, and my heart was ablated in December, 2010, killing my heart's ability to create its own beat and, instead, forcing my implanted defib to generate the contractions of my heart... so that might have a little something to do with it... but I like the "I'm healthier because I'm married" meme...)

Posted by: Eric Payne | Dec 18, 2011 11:55:43 PM

9. Jesus Eric, you're a survivor! Best wishes to you as you continue to endure and congratulations for not having to be hospitalized during the last year. Yay!

Posted by: uffda | Dec 19, 2011 1:13:50 AM

10. I agree with some of the posts that the results of this study should be taken with a grain of salt. However, when minorities live in societies that don't verbally and psychologically assault them at every opportunity, when they live in communities that treat them equally under the law, it makes sense that those minorities would live with less fear, less stress and a greater feeling of well being. The health benefits of those are indisputable.

Posted by: Boone68 | Dec 19, 2011 1:19:24 AM

11. really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

Posted by: red bull hats | Dec 19, 2011 1:25:19 AM

12. The scope of the exam extends beyond accurately making a diagnosis and tests certain skill sets not obvious to international medical graduates.

Posted by: usmle step 2 cs | Dec 19, 2011 10:18:34 AM

13. @UFFDA - Yeah, I'm a survivor, but not because of anything I've done (or not done). I just hover in that great gray nebula of "not sick enough to actually keel over, yet" in which modern medicine has placed a LOT of people.

When the devout hear my health history, invariably they say: "God has a purpose for you," or some variant thereof, to which I always give one of the following three replies:

1.) "Yeah... and if I can figure out what it is, and NOT do it, I'll be here forever, huh?"

or

2.) "Nah... I'm just far too evil for heaven, and Satan';s afraid I'll unionize, so I'm going to be here awhile."

or

3.) "Nah. He's just got so much to do, and I haven't been drawing any attention to myself, so I just kinda slipped His mind, again."

Then, of course, they look at me like they're thinking: "Lord, take this heathen!"

Posted by: Eric Payne | Dec 19, 2011 1:45:08 PM