Australia | Christmas | Music

BigGayDeal.com

White Wine In The Sun: A Christmas Carol

TimMinchinWhiteWine

Happy Christmas Eve! Just a heads up: Because the news media more-or-less shuts down this weekend, there will be fewer than the usual complement of blogs today and tomorrow.

Here's something that's not exactly new, and not exactly news, but worth watching anwyay. Tim Minchin is an Australian singer-songwriter who's got a lot in common with Tom Lehrer. AFTER THE JUMP, check out his secular Christmas song. The first two verses make me giggle; the bridge always makes me cry.

Comments

1. Thanks for posting that. I'm not normally that much of a sap, but I cried like a baby.

Posted by: ChicagoRick | Dec 24, 2011 9:30:50 AM

2. thanks, BKT. you rock.

Posted by: shane | Dec 24, 2011 10:01:01 AM

3. Found my new holiday carol. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: chuy | Dec 24, 2011 10:57:18 AM

4. Brandon, the media shut down in 2008.

Nice song, by the way. It's no "Fairytale of New York," but it easily tops the cheap garbage I hear in the stores.

Posted by: Max | Dec 24, 2011 11:20:07 AM

5. This animated music video of the song is even better:

Posted by: Steve | Dec 24, 2011 11:24:38 AM

6. @Brandon K. Thorp & Tim Minchin
    I have lost most of my cynicism about Christmas after listening this beautiful song.

Thank you so much!

Posted by: DALI | Dec 24, 2011 11:28:52 AM

7. Very nice. Tom Lehrer he's not, but I liked it.

Posted by: RWG | Dec 24, 2011 11:37:09 AM

8. DALI, et al: So glad you like it. White Wine In The Sun has become one of the very few holiday traditions our family maintains. It has melted our cynicism, too. :-)

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Dec 24, 2011 11:38:59 AM

9. ".... we'll be drinking white wine in the sun." What a wonderful image of family and a peaceful gathering. It's a great song with the way he combines the biting humor, political commentary and still manages to get in moments that make me want to blubber like a baby because I'm a sentimental sap... especially at this time of year. Grins, giggles, and a little sniffling because my eyes are burning a bit.

Posted by: justinw | Dec 24, 2011 11:43:31 AM

10. Very nice. It captures the ambivalence, even love/hate relationship many of us have with Christmas. Maybe that's especially true in the US, where "Christian" has come to mean something dark and mean, and especially for gay people, who are its frequent target.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 24, 2011 12:28:41 PM

11. Christmas cynicism is entirely justifiable. This song is a reminder to "throw out the trash already, before it starts to smell", and focus on what genuinely matters to you.

Posted by: BG | Dec 24, 2011 12:51:32 PM

12. Oh great. I'm going to be weepy all day now.

Posted by: SgtSausagepants | Dec 24, 2011 2:30:14 PM

13. Nice unique song, but I'll take the Christmas classics any day!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Dec 24, 2011 3:29:26 PM

14. Who is this ugly guy and why am I watching this tragedy of a video? If I wanted to see a secular Christmas video, I'd watch two young gay men being hanged in Iran or tortured in Palestine and the Muslims celebrating it. That makes me cry, Andy. How about you?

Posted by: Alan | Dec 24, 2011 3:37:53 PM

15. "...I don't don't go in for ancient wisdom...I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious, it means they're worthy...I get freaked out by churches, some of the hymns that sing have nice chords but the lyrics are dodgy...and yes I have all the usual objections to the miseducation of children who in tax exempt institutions are taught to externalize blame and feel ashamed; and to judge things as plain right or wrong...but i quite like the songs" I couldn't agree more, i'll be drinking mulled wine in the snow though =)

Posted by: epic | Dec 24, 2011 3:47:09 PM

16. This Jewish girl was also moved to a few sniffles by this lovely song!

Posted by: irisgirl | Dec 24, 2011 4:02:44 PM

17. Tim Minchin is awesome. See him live if you can. You will crap your pants. He's hysterical.

Posted by: mintylaramie | Dec 24, 2011 5:56:47 PM

18. Thank you Brandon. It's beautiful, makes me smile and cry! Happy Day and much white wine to Towleroad staff!

Posted by: Barbara | Dec 24, 2011 7:45:34 PM

19. Why would someone post here about his looks? What possible relation does this have to the video? It would be much easier to fight against bullying, homophobia and prejudice if we gay people weren't the ones using it so often against other gay people. Please wake up and get your self loathing in check. This is a talented person trying to make something beautiful for others to enjoy. When was the last time you did the same?

Posted by: Brian | Dec 25, 2011 9:37:15 AM

20. Alan has a beam in his eye. Thanks for this, Brandon. I've shared it with friends.

Posted by: Gary | Dec 25, 2011 11:39:08 AM

21. Put simply, this was beautiful. It shows that beauty can be different, and different can be beautiful. :)

Posted by: Rich | Dec 25, 2011 12:40:03 PM

22. I very much enjoyed that. Thank you.

Posted by: JAMES | Dec 26, 2011 1:14:26 AM

23. Great. He is so clever. You tube his 3 minute song, or his pope song.

Posted by: angus | Dec 26, 2011 9:24:30 AM

24. just wonderful... it reminds me of my white wine loving Grandmother who passed away three years ago. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Carl | Dec 26, 2011 9:50:24 PM