Alabama | Football (American) | News

Alabama Crimson Tide Fans Celebrate Gay Bashing in T-Shirt Planned for National Championship Win

Homeauxs

Some Alabama Crimson Tide fans are hoping to beat LSU in their national championship game on Monday night so they can sell a T-shirt that also celebrates gay bashing:

Towleroad tipster Tyler writes us: "I wanted to let you guys know about this website that is selling t-shirts for the Alabama-LSU national championship game on January 9, 2012. The shirts are a play on the French language's heritage in Louisiana. As a resident of Alabama and a lifelong Crimson Tide fan, I am highly offended at this hateful display of 'sportsmanship' by fans of the University."

UPDATE: The site selling the shirts, which was registered to Chris Ivey, has gone offline. Hopefully plans to create these shirts have been scrapped altogether.

Comments

1. Disheartening that college students (whom I consider more socially responsible) would stoop to this level. Just goes to show how deep homophobia runs.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jan 4, 2012 9:13:22 AM

2. OK, I get it that to celebrate "beating the hell" out of someone, anyone is reprehensible. However, just exactly how does this t-shirt represent "gay bashing" as opposed to, say, bashing in general? Now, I don't agree with the sentiment printed on the t-shirt but..."gay bashing" specifically??

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jan 4, 2012 9:21:50 AM

3. HADENOUGHBS:

The Homeauxs is a French-language play on Homos.

LSU's famous line for their sports teams is 'Geuax Tigers!' or in English 'Go Tigers!'

Posted by: Mark | Jan 4, 2012 9:27:14 AM

4. LMAO at people who think Alabama fans were somehow above this. Has the lifelong Crimson Tide fan been asleep for the last 2o years?!

Posted by: endo | Jan 4, 2012 9:36:45 AM

5. I noticed they were processing their payments through PayPal and I believe this violates PayPals TOS. I sent the following email to Paypal...we'll see what happens:

I believe this product violates PayPal's terms:

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES

2.relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods (e) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (f) items that are considered obscene, (g) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (h) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j) ,certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

as per item (e) it definitely promotes hate and intolerance

I hope appropriate actions are taken immediately.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 4, 2012 9:40:45 AM

6. Every time the human race seems to be making progress towards its next higher evolutionary status, out come some knuckle draggers to haul us back a few feet/yards/miles. Yet another reason to never visit Alabama (Mississipi is on that short list as well--did you know they and Iowa have never elected a woman governor or to Congress?)

Posted by: Dback | Jan 4, 2012 9:52:42 AM

7. I'm more offended by the use of the word homos (homeauxs). It's not said in a friendly light at all. It's intention is to "lessen" one's self worth.

As for the bashing - well, I don't believe the intent is actual violence it's sports talk for winning.

Posted by: truthiness | Jan 4, 2012 9:53:06 AM

8. ...and in light of this...I hear the last verse of the typical White Trash Alabama song....

"...and I come from Alabama with a Banjo on my knee"

Posted by: Gay American | Jan 4, 2012 10:11:47 AM

9. It's all in good fun. They didn't even spell it right. It's actually "homoeaux" I've been a tiger fan my whole life not to mention I go to LSU. This isn't that big of a deal. We have shirts just like this or even worse. Back in '09 we had "Teabag Tebow" shirts. Honestly guys this is the SEC some of our students and fans are rude. We take football rivalry especially ones like these very serious. it's just part of the culture. Again gay people need to stop taking everything so serious. It's just a joke.

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 10:23:07 AM

10. Tiger Fan,
    I think the homophobia in society and the horrible effects it has on LGBT people, especially youth, is more deserving of being taken seriously than your football rivalry.

Posted by: Hunter | Jan 4, 2012 10:31:15 AM

11. Hear that, everyone. This isn't a big deal. It's just "part of the culture" to do things like this. It's just a joke, you know, using homosexuality as a means to degrade someone. We're supposed to laugh about it. Honestly, guys, this is the South. You know how they are down there. Come on, it's football!

Posted by: Francis | Jan 4, 2012 10:32:01 AM

12. TIGER FAN - "just a joke" at our expense.

"just a joke" that they're making money off of.

Posted by: truthiness | Jan 4, 2012 10:32:10 AM

13. A joke? This is Alabama. Apparently the Frenchified version of Negraux wasn't offensive enough.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 4, 2012 10:47:32 AM

14. Obviously you aren't from the south. Gay people would wear these shirts. Growing up in the south you learn to get a tough skin. Things like this don't affect us like this have obviously affected yall. Btw "our" expense? Unless you're a tiger fan that's the only way it would be "our" expense. I'm sorry us southern backwoods college students aren't PC and civil.

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 10:48:39 AM

15. The University Of Alabama fans have never been the epitomy of "Good sportsmanship." They are ungraceful winners and behave worse when they lose.

Posted by: Jnick | Jan 4, 2012 10:50:33 AM

16. What do you expect from Alabama?

Generally speaking, it takes about a half-century for social change to filter down from the coasts to the Deep South.

@Tiger Fan: You can have intense rivalries and humorous T-shirts that do not include slurs directed at minority groups. There is nothing funny about this. And don't lump other SEC fans in with the psychos and delinquents that constitute the LSU fanbase, which has no equivalent in college football for its obnoxious behavior.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 4, 2012 10:53:19 AM

17. Tiger Fan:

I'm having t-shirts that read: "Southern Redneck Trailer Trash Should Be Burned At The Stake"

It's just a joke. Don't take it so serious.

Posted by: 1A | Jan 4, 2012 10:56:15 AM

18. hey stupids, the x marks the plural, you don't need the s!

Posted by: M. Bergeron | Jan 4, 2012 10:57:01 AM

19. "Gay people would wear these shirts"

None with even a modicum of self-respect would. Not in the South or anywhere else. Not in 2012.

You are either straight and don't have a clue or you are gay and have serious self-esteem issues........or are just too dumb to realize that the word "homo", like the word "fag" is the equivalent of the n-word and denies the object of it any dignity or respect at all.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 4, 2012 11:01:20 AM

20. You gotta love our fans haha but this rivalry is just between LSU and Bama, I do apologize for lumping other SEC schools into this, simply because some fans and students have more class than others. LSU and Bama fans are some of the rudest fans you ever could encounter. Do I think it's right for things like this to be done? No. Same way I think it's not cool for some of the things the student section and fans say when kids attend our games. But we've come to just let things like this fly. It in no way reflects the views of the entire university. These are great schools with great football programs. This is just what happens when you have over emotional fans, half of which have never seen the inside of a college classroom. These shirts are just a product of just that. Again, we just let things go. Just like a poster said above me, social evolution has taken a long time to happen in the south, we've come to accept that fact. I mean hell it's a joke, a joke in bad taste but still a joke. Laugh about it and move on. Btw there's no way the score is going to be that high in this game. That in itself is a joke.

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 11:07:46 AM

21. Tiger Fan I grew up in the south. And "tough skin" is very different from lacking the self-respect and courage to speak up against this homophobic crap.

Posted by: Greg | Jan 4, 2012 11:13:00 AM

22. And not all SEC schools graduate dummies. There's always Vanderbilt!

Posted by: Greg | Jan 4, 2012 11:15:59 AM

23. @ Tiger Fan, I'm from Baton Rouge. I find this shirt offensive and would never wear it. I'm gay and from the south. Hate language is hate language and if you think that's funny then I feel sorry for you buddy. Sometimes having a thick skin means you're not afraid to stand up for what you believe in and against what is wrong. In that respect I've got a pretty thick one. As for you, I'd say if you think it's funny and go along with the joke then yours must be pretty thin because you'd rather blend in with the gang. So don't come here pretending to know who's got the thicker skin and speaking for all of us from the south, you don't speak for me!

Posted by: Randy | Jan 4, 2012 11:18:37 AM

24. I guess being a part of the LSU fanbase I'm numb to these kind of things because we see it and hear it all the time.

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 11:20:16 AM

25. I still can't see how this is homophobic, it's just trash talking.

Posted by: Tiger Fan | Jan 4, 2012 11:21:47 AM