Gay Marriage | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

D.C. City Council Candidate Who Wanted a Marriage Equality Ballot Measure Now Considers It Settled

An activist who worked to put D.C.’s same-sex marriage law on the ballot in a voter referendum in 2010 is now running for City Council and says he no longer opposes the law, the Washington Blade reports:

Hunter“I do not seek to overturn the Marriage Equality Act when elected,” Hunter told the Blade in a statement released on Tuesday.

“I will, however, continue to establish working relationships within the LGBT community to focus on issues that affect the quality of life for all residents of the District of Columbia,” he said...

...Hunter said he now considers the marriage law a “settled issue” and has no intention of raising it as an issue in a special election to fill Thomas’s seat that is expected to take place in May.

“My stance is that I respect the Marriage Equality Act,” he told the Blade. “It gives individuals the right to marry whom they chose. But also it gives our religious institutions the right to ordain marriage according to their beliefs. So that is something that I’m in agreement with. It is settled. It is a moot point.”

Comments

1. Dont' trust him. Christians seem to think that lying is fine, as long as they're doing it to gays. DC has one of the largest gay populations of any US city. They deserve a city council that respects them and not just pander to them to get elected.

Posted by: gaylib | Jan 12, 2012 11:43:18 AM

2. Translation: "Now that I need these queers to vote for me I'll drop my hate campaign against them."

Good luck with that you stupid jackass.

Posted by: ozu | Jan 12, 2012 11:49:03 AM

3. Well, that puts him ahead of Cleveland Heights ex-city councilor Jimmie Hicks. After pledging not to do so, Hicks did everything he could to get Heights' first-in-the-nation voter approved Domestic Partner registry overturned in court. He failed to do so, and was voted out of office in favor of openly gay Mark Tumeo.

Posted by: hank | Jan 12, 2012 12:09:09 PM

4. Sorry - not buying it....

Posted by: ceebee | Jan 12, 2012 12:50:31 PM

5. “I do not seek to overturn the Marriage Equality Act when elected,”...

Do he really say that?

Posted by: Don | Jan 12, 2012 1:09:58 PM

6. Yeah, not falling for that one.

Posted by: Erich | Jan 12, 2012 1:25:27 PM

7. Sorry, I don't believe a word of it. In the eyes of most haters, it's never really over or settled until THEY prevail. I just don't trust most politicians. Honestly, lately I don't know if I trust any of them.

Posted by: Bob R | Jan 12, 2012 1:37:04 PM

8. Odd use of tenses makes me suspicious.

Posted by: BobN | Jan 12, 2012 2:19:33 PM

9. The fox considered the henhouse a settled issue...and waited....

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jan 12, 2012 2:30:33 PM

10. Very handsome

Posted by: Shannon | Jan 12, 2012 4:39:23 PM

11. @Shannon, don't say that! You'll make him run right back into his den!! It took all the courage he could muster to come out and say what he even said.

Posted by: princely54 | Jan 12, 2012 5:03:09 PM

12. This change in heart is good news. It shows that even in Ward 5 opposition to marriage equality is not a winning position. While in the initial straw poll support fo Delano Hunter was very high, after NOM backed him and spent $180,000+ to support his candidacy he only received 20% support in the primary. The issue at the moment is the special election is a winner take all contest with no primary. If opponents to marriage equality unite behind one candidate they might take a council seat. But they would not get far in repealing the law with only three possible votes out of 13 council members. The Ward 5 candidate that raised questions about Harry Thomas Jr. was gay Republican Tim Day. (Where you live Republicans are probably anti-gay. That is not the case in DC.) So with his name recognition and record running in the last election he might win this special election if the vote is split among many candidates. That would raise to three the number of openly gay council members. The second gay council member took office in a special election as well. That would be David Catania who was a Republican at the time he took office.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 13, 2012 10:31:44 AM