News | Richard Floyd | Tennessee | Transgender

TN Lawmaker Files Bill to Prevented 'Perverted' Trans People from Attacking His Wife in Dressing Rooms: VIDEO

Floyd

Tennessee State Representative Richard Floyd has filed a bill restricting transgender access to bathrooms and store dressing rooms citing the danger to his wife, children, and grandchildren, NewsChannel5 reports:

Says Floyd in an eight-minute transphobic and homophobic rant:

"I don't care for what reason, how depraved their mind is, how perverted their mind is, or for what reason they think a man has a right to go into a women's bathroom, or dressing room to try on clothes...I'm just sick and tired of society having to adjust to every little alternate life style, or little whim or someone who thinks they're different...If things go in the future like Washington wants them to go, people will be marrying their dogs, their cats, and their horses. We can't continue to let society go down a slippery slope of depravity and survive as a society."

Watch Floyd's rant (may take a few seconds to appear), AFTER THE JUMP...

NewsChannel5 adds:

Marisa Richmond,...a lobbyist for the Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition...feels this proposed legislation targets transgender people who live and visit the state.

"For any gender non-conforming, or gender variant person, we see this as a violation of their fourth amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures," according to Richmond.

Adds Floyd: "This isn't to penalize anybody. It's to protect everybody."

Video may take a few seconds to appear.

Comments

1. ...can someone please inform this deeply uneducated hick that animals can't sign marriage licenses?

seriously. as IF social progress is being hindered because appallingly-uneducated people hold high-ranking jobs.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 13, 2012 12:24:44 PM

2. I cannot wait for the day when all these old, religiously delusional and ignorant bastards die off. For the good of humanity and society, it cannot be soon enough.

Posted by: Bob R | Jan 13, 2012 12:28:57 PM

3. I think ole Richard is a bit jealous that he wasn't able to transition when he was younger!

Posted by: Bitter Closeted Republicans Suck! | Jan 13, 2012 12:30:49 PM

4. This man is an embarassment (nationally) to the State of Tennessee and has been for some time. http://wp.me/p1se8R-21f Mayberry called ... Barney Fife needs a bullet.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Jan 13, 2012 12:31:48 PM

5. The thing that gets me is I just am flabbergasted at how utterly afraid these people are...of everything. I'm surprised they can even leave there homes in the morning.

Posted by: TC | Jan 13, 2012 12:33:32 PM

6. Are there any statistics of transgender attacks on women in bathrooms? I've never heard of one? SWTF?

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jan 13, 2012 12:42:54 PM

7. @tc--like turtles, they take their homes and values with them as an invisible protective shell around their minds. They exist in an alternative Reality. Unfortunately, that spills over into other Realities where the rest of us live.
    I note, yet again, the characteristic pursy little mouth that seems to be standard for certain sorts of bigots.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jan 13, 2012 12:44:25 PM

8. Such and obvious chaser.

Posted by: Trisha | Jan 13, 2012 12:45:43 PM

9. AVOID TN LIKE THE BASTION OF HATE IT IS!

Posted by: Gay American | Jan 13, 2012 12:52:10 PM

10. Once again, I am embarrassed of my Tennessee home... Everyone here is not like this idiot. Some day - this ignorance will be gone. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

Posted by: Mark-Vincent | Jan 13, 2012 1:00:22 PM

11. By "everybody," Floyd is referring only to reactionary straight transphobes.

Posted by: Peter | Jan 13, 2012 1:01:27 PM

12. Emperor Calligula did marry his horse & raised it up to the roman senate

All historical evidence points to the horse being a better senator than its fellow human senators

Posted by: say what | Jan 13, 2012 1:14:11 PM

13. The State of Tennessee sure knows how to breed ignorant people to serve in their legislature. I'm beginning to wonder if there is anyone serving in their government that has any common sense left? He doesn't realize the black eye, he and a lot of his colleagues give to their state in the eyes of the rest of the country and the world. I hope there are enough decent people left there, that can shine the light on this foolishness and put a stop to it?

Posted by: Jennifer Campbell | Jan 13, 2012 1:23:09 PM

14. Just another insane Christeater

Posted by: Steve | Jan 13, 2012 1:28:59 PM

15. Well....this poor guy is scared to death...and all you people in TN should be too! It's high time to vote this man out of office before his ignorance causes harm to you. It's for your own protection!

Posted by: Michelle | Jan 13, 2012 1:29:51 PM

16. What is it with these people and their dogs?

Any discussion of diversity goes right to this idea that equal rights inevitably leads to people marrying their dogs.

"Are there any statistics of transgender attacks on women in bathrooms? I've never heard of one? SWTF?"

That's a very important question, but the real one is, are there any statistics of straight male rapists dressing as women and attacking women in dressing rooms - because that's his real claim. Not that actual transgender people attack others, but that predators dress as women and attack in dressing rooms (with a side order of "there are no actual transgender people..")

My guess is that even if a rapist thought a dressing room (with all the associated store security video, chances of being interrupted, in-store security personnel, and so on) was a good place for a rape, they wouldn't compound the likelihood of being suspected by dressing as a woman to walk into the store.

So transgender people who are actually dressing as women seem to me to be the least likely suspects for such assaults.

Posted by: Lymis | Jan 13, 2012 1:29:52 PM

17. Yet another aging baby boomer raging against a societal change that has already happened.

Give it 10 years and let nature cull the herd.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 13, 2012 1:55:55 PM

18. Scared much?
    What a sad man.
    Such incredible hate to carry around daily.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jan 13, 2012 2:33:25 PM

19. I want to apologize to everybody for the hateful, repellent dirtbags and poor excuses for humanity too stupid to breathe who are the Republican majority in the state legislature of the state I call home.

Posted by: FML66 | Jan 13, 2012 2:50:06 PM

20. "The proposed legislation would restrict access to public restrooms and public dressing rooms designated by sex, to members of that particular sex."

Maybe it's not the same in TN, but women are in the men's changing rooms all the time in San Francisco. They're there to help their boyfriends/husbands pick clothes. And what about mothers? Moms are always in there, annoying the heck out of their easily annoyed teens and younger kids.

I wish I could go to TN and follow this jerk's wife on a shopping trip with her grandkids and have her arrested!

Posted by: BobN | Jan 13, 2012 3:00:49 PM

21. This "bathroom issue" isn't worth what the political cost will be. The public is just getting used to the idea of full equality for gays and lesbians. I have some sympathy for the cause of transgendered rights, but I really think the gay community would be better served by focusing on the gay youth suicide epidemic. As much as we can feel for the situation of the transgendered, saving lives is more important. Only the most hardened souls don't feel any sadness when hearing that a young person took his own life. And increased sympathy for gays in general is likely to help increase sympathy (in time) for the transgendered.

Just my humble opinion.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 13, 2012 3:10:07 PM

22. Everytime I think we've hit the bottom of the barrel - one more icky bit of scum flakes off. The only thing I can say about this is it helps me feel a little bit better living in Virginia, which is in intense cometition with Tennessee and a few other states for the "We're more stupider" title. Sorry, Tennessee, your a cool state for most parts.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 13, 2012 3:13:41 PM

23. OK, just for a minute, let's say that hypothetically, a man COULD marry his dog or horse.

Exactly WHAT would it do to society?

Exactly HOW would it affect the rest of this person's neighbors, business associates, his city, his state?

Negative comments? Dour glances? Disapproving talk behind his back? Anyone?

Please know I'm not advocating inter-species relationships or marriages, but I just don't get WHY that would affect anyone else but the person practicing his animal husbandry (pun intended)... this is why this argument is so specious and idiotic. What a person does in their own life has nothing to do with the rest of us, it's THEIR LIFE.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 13, 2012 3:14:16 PM

24. Yes... Please don't act like "Gay American" up there and avoid my state. It is not a 'bastion of hate' like he says. And, I'm offended at the remark. We need more intelligent caring individuals to come here and get rid of the very loud minority that give the state a bad name. There are loving, patriotic, accepting people here.

Posted by: yellowrocket | Jan 13, 2012 3:15:35 PM

25. I used to go into department store women's changing rooms all the time with my girlfriend. You don't actually go INTO anyone's area where clothes come off. It's kind of funny because it shows this guy never went with his wife to buy her clothes or undergarments.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 13, 2012 3:43:12 PM