Gay Former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman to Lobby NH Lawmakers Against Marriage Equality Repeal

Former RNC Chair Ken Mehlman has published an op-ed in New Hampshire's Union Leader saying that he is in the state this week lobbying legislators to reject a bill that would repeal the state's marriage equality law, and that the state's motto 'Live Free or Die' applies to marriage equality.

MehlmanWrites Mehlman:

Allowing New Hampshire citizens to marry the person they love isn’t just consistent with maximizing freedom. It also promotes responsibility, commitment and stability; it promotes family values. Again, our history provides a good road map: One of our party’s finest hours was the passage of welfare reform because it strengthened families and promoted marriage. Why would we want to take away this right from anyone?

New Hampshire’s civil marriage law protects religious freedom. No religious institution has to perform or recognize same-sex marriages. This is important because different religious traditions have different views on this question.

But despite these differences, so many of our faiths and traditions are rooted in the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would want done to you. Isn’t allowing adults to marry the person they love consistent with the Golden Rule? If you were born gay (as I was), how would you feel if your state government took away this basic civil right that is available to all of your neighbors? How would you feel if you were a young person and were told by your state that the loving and stabilizing relationship you see in your mom and dad would never be available to you?

(via michael lavers at boy in bushwick)

Comments

1. George M says

Thanks Ken for your help and I hope it works
    Side note F-ck off ken but again thanks for working with us This time. It matters

2. MammaBear says

Keep doing good works Ken – by the time you die you might have a life-to-date neutral impact. Better way too late than never.

3. MARCUS BACHMANN says

Mehlman should be in prison for crimes against against gay women, men, and children. He has blood on his hands.

4. says

Given Ken Mehlman’s history of staying in the closet while furthering anti-gay causes as RNC chair, I doubt I’d want to be his buddy, but, fortunately, no one is forcing me to be his buddy. He’ll always have an anti-gay asterisk next to his name. But, now, in his out and equality-supportive present, I’m happy that he’s working for our side. As a Republican, it’s possible that he can still speak to Republicans, and the fate of the repeal effort in NH is up to Republicans since they’re the only ones pushing it.

5. George M says

I agree Ernie
    He would never be my buddy but if he’s ready to work great. Maybe he can finally do some good in life

6. says

i believe everyone is capable of redemption. i’m glad mehlman is continuing to actually work to undo the affronts to human decency he condoned, promoted, and perpetrated.

7. BobN says

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this line from his op-ed:

“During my time in politics, I always believed that good policy is good politics.”

Effing ahole.

8. Keith says

Thanks for nothing Ken.

What might be more helpful is if you were to sell your $7M condo in NYC that you bought with the blood money you made vilifying gays and lesbians to get Bush re-elected and donate that money to the cause.

Just because Dustin Lance Black and AFER blew smoke up your ass when you wrote a check last year still doesn’t make you anything more than the opportunist you really are.

No amount of lobbying will wash the blood from your hands.

9. chestnut street says

I’m glad he’s doing that, but he’d be advised to leave his lovely RNC 2004 Arkansas mailer (sounding an alarm about gays getting married while the Bible is banned) at home. Also, he should avoid re-telling his stories about how those gay rumors are making it hard for him to get dates with women.

10. FunMe says

Unless he is out there giving money to EVERY marriage equality to make up for the damage that HE helped caused, then I would applaud him. Lobbying alone is not going to cut it.