Fox Psychiatrist On Newt Gingrich: Infidelity A Sign Of Awesomeness

Picture 23South Carolina's big primary is today, and Newt Gingrich is the most talked about man in America. He's been up, he's been down, and then he was up and then down and now up again, and the caprices of fate have given some Newtwatchers cognitive whiplash.

Dr. Keith Ablow is the most recent and obvious example. He's a pop psychiatrist on retainer with FOX News, and so devoted is he to to unraveling the mysteries of the human mind that one of his three tattoos features hands prying open a man's skull. One week ago, before his reason was destroyed by presidential politics, Dr. Ablow published a brief, rather murky essay at Foxnews.com entitled "America is drunk," in which he opined:

My theory is that Americans are on a flight from reality. Faced with painful facts—including the precarious state of the economy, the gathering storm represented by militant Muslims, in general, and Iran, in particular, the crumbling state of marriage in this country, the fact that our borders are being overrun, and the fact that our health care insurance system is in shambles (to name just a smattering of the troubles we desperately need to address)—we as a nation are drinking, drugging, gambling, smoking, Facebooking, YouTubing, Marijuaning, Kardashianing, Adderalling, Bono-ing (as in thinking of Chaz’s sad flight from reality as good), Prozacking, Twittering, and Sexting ourselves into oblivion.

The fact that we are doing this as a culture is the single most ominous psychological trend we have ever faced. I am not exaggerating. [Emphasis added.]

But now Dr. Ablow's changed his mind about the marriage thing, at least when it comes to Newt Gingrich. In an article published yesterday — just five days after he declared the "crumbling state of marriage in our culture" a harbinger of the "single most ominous psychological trend we have ever faced" — Dr. Ablow explained that Newt Gingrich's infidelities make him more qualified for the presidency than his competitors:

I want to be coldly analytical, not moralize, here. I want to tell you what Mr. Gingrich’s behavior could mean for the country, not for the future of his current marriage. So, here’s what one interested in making America stronger can reasonably conclude—psychologically—from Mr. Gingrich’s behavior during his three marriages:

1) Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his emotional energy and intellect that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him.

2) Two of these women felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married.

3 ) One of them felt this way even though Mr. Gingrich was already married for the second time, was not exactly her equal in the looks department and had a wife (Marianne) who wanted to make his life without her as painful as possible.

Conclusion: When three women want to sign on for life with a man who is now running for president, I worry more about whether we’ll be clamoring for a third Gingrich term, not whether we’ll want to let him go after one.

4) Two women—Mr. Gingrich’s first two wives—have sat down with him while he delivered to them incredibly painful truths: that he no longer loved them as he did before, that he had fallen in love with other women and that he needed to follow his heart, despite the great price he would pay financially and the risk he would be taking with his reputation.

Conclusion: I can only hope Mr. Gingrich will be as direct and unsparing with the Congress, the American people and our allies. If this nation must now move with conviction in the direction of its heart, Newt Gingrich is obviously no stranger to that journey.

… So, as far as I can tell, judging from the psychological data, we have only one real risk to America from his marital history if Newt Gingrich were to become president: We would need to worry that another nation, perhaps a little younger than ours, would be so taken by Mr. Gingrich that it would seduce him into marrying it and becoming its president. And I think that is exceedingly unlikely.

He goes on and on, but his message can be summed up as: 1) Newt Gingrich is awesome; and 2) therefore Newt's divorces must reflect his awesomeness; and 3) since even the Newt's divorces reflect his awesomeness, then 4) Newt Gingrich must be awesome. Dr. Ablow's just begging the question, and as a psychiatrist he ought to know it. If Newt had been a faithful husband, Dr. Ablow would be just as keen to interpret his fidelity as a valid qualification for the presidency. And if Newt was asexual, Dr. Ablow would be praising the man's monastic devotion to work. With this kind of reasoning, literally nothing could falsify Dr. Ablow's initial assumption.

One could look at the questionable grammar of Dr. Ablow's screeds (as in the first line of the second excerpt) or their wonky formatting (such as Dr. Ablow's switch from a bullet point format to an evidence/conclusion format midway through the above list) and conclude that he's a bit of an idiot. Except it's not just him. In South Carolina, a lot of people are thinking this way — if the polls have it right, the trad-fam-loving Republicans of South Carolina are about to hand Newt Gingrich an enormous victory. It's Saturday, January 21st, one month into the primaries, and everyone's a little mad.

Comments

1. says

“we as a nation are drinking, drugging, gambling, smoking, Facebooking, YouTubing, Marijuaning, Kardashianing, Adderalling, Bono-ing (as in thinking of Chaz’s sad flight from reality as good), Prozacking, Twittering, and Sexting”

Projecting much, “Doctor” Ablow? Since I’m not doing any of these things (and disdain those who do) I must be unpatriotic.

2. cadence says

Isn’t this the same nut who said that kids would become transgender just by watching Chaz Bono on Dancing With The Stars? He seems to have a lot of issues, but I admit laughing a few times, when I read this article yesterday. It was just one of the silliest things that I’ve ever seen.

3. says

“Three women have met Mr. Gingrich and been so moved by his emotional energy and intellect that they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him.”

His emotional energy and intellect? Yeah, that’s it. It has nothing to do with money and power.

4. Xavi says

It has nothing to do with his “emotional energy and intellect”. The man is simply a narcissist and an a$$hole, and not in a good way. He cares only about himself and has always only cared about himself. He is a total a$$hole.

5. Stranded says

Let’s face it. The Conservative mindset is depraved. Their entire agenda is to turn madness and hypocricy into reason and credibility. They celebrate venality and Gingrich is the king of that. Prolife means prowar, less government means controlling marriage, adoption and reproduction… They become absolutely giddy at the thoughts of unleashing their destructive perversions on the world. So of course to deflect that criticism they have to blame it on others. That anyone could consider Gingrich credible as a president or a husband points to a degree of self-delusion that is unimaginable to me.

6. Tom says

Intelligent, argumentative thought is not a requirement for Fox News contributors. This is due entirely to the fact that the majority of Fox News watchers wouldn’t know the difference.

7. Joey says

Thank you so much for posting this. I have had so much going on I needed a good hearty laugh. Cobert is going to be out oa job if this kind of stuff keeps up.

8. Rick says

I don’t know if this guy was really serious or meant this in a tongue-in-cheek way. If he was serious, then he is nutty and not to be taken seriously.

That said, I have three observations:

1) Most Presidents have cheated on their wives and have even done so while they were in the White House, Bill Clinton and Jack Kennedy only being the most renowned examples……and it does not seem to have had any effect on their ability to function in their jobs

2) Absolute sexual monogamy is a totally unnatural way to live for any man, regardless of sexual orientation….and society needs to discard this notion that a wife should command absolute loyalty when it comes to pure sex or even emotion (the principal emotional attachments of men should be to each other, again regardless of sexual orientation, as they are in most cultures now, those un-infected by the Western idea of “romantic love” for a woman)…in short, men need to stop living by women’s rules and live by our own

3) Funny how so many gay men who would never dream of being completely faithful to another man, either sexually or emotionally, nevertheless jump on any straight man who “cheats” on his wife or girlfriend (which of course they would not do if the wife or girlfriend were cheating on the man….no, they would think that was “cool”)….and it’s pretty obvious what conclusions one should draw from that.

Thanks.

9. justinw says

My mother was under psychiatric care for over 30 years and in one of her lucid periods she observed something about psychiatrists that was stuck with me all these years. “It’s hard to find one that’s not worse off than you are.”

Over the years I met most of her psychiatrists and out of the tens of these, only one struck me as anything even approaching sane. The rest of them could only be differentiated from the ward patients because they were wearing lab coats. *shiver*

Ablow is clearly among the latter. I find it stunning that a lunatic like him could make it all the way through med school and the additional training to become a psychiatrist. Or maybe his psychosis started occurring after he completed his residencies.

10. SoLeftImRight says

I didn’t know the proper spelling of hack was A-B-L-O-W. Look, people cheat, people break up, but Newt’s treatment of his wives has been pathological and fairly cruel. How a “doctor” can find merit in this guy from a psychological perspective is an indication that he needs some serious professional help or meds himself!

11. It's not just my opinion says

This is a prime example of, Pay Me Enough And I Will Say Anything.

I guess this might be Fox News’ way of competing with Stewart and Colbert. Parodying themselves now before Jon and Steven get to it.

12. Barbara says

Plenty of men were “moved” by Liz Taylor. Shame she didn’t run for President. Oh, and Rick, I assume you believe that men & women should understand being monogamous is unrealistic. Neither gender should expect their partner to be their “one & only,” right?

13. says

“Funny how so many gay men who would never dream of being completely faithful to another man, either sexually or emotionally, nevertheless jump on any straight man who “cheats” on his wife or girlfriend (which of course they would not do if the wife or girlfriend were cheating on the man….no, they would think that was “cool”)….and it’s pretty obvious what conclusions one should draw from that.”

The conclusion, troll, is that straights like the Stay-Puff Marshmellow man, Dr. Keith Blowitouthisablow, and self-loathing bi-polar basket cases like you are full of it when you go on and on and on about how immoral we out and proud LGBTs are.

My lover and I have been together for 38 years.

You’re welcome!

14. Rick says

@Barbara Sexually speaking, yes. But we all know that women do not have the kind of biological drive to “spread the seed” as widely as possible–which is what drives men to want to have many sexual partners. And we all also know that women in this culture already have emotional intimacy with each other of the sort that men are not allowed to have.

So the rules of this society when it comes to monogamy, both sexual and emotional, are all in women’s favor rather than men’s.

15. John B. says

I don’t think the issue is about being “faithful” as much as it is about honesty, trustworthiness, betrayal, entitlement and inflated self-importance, contempt for others, and at the end of it all, sheer hypocrisy. When somebody has a proven record of treating other people–including his wives, of all people–like trash, how can we expect him to treat anybody else?

16. Jeff Justus says

HUH ???? I think this guy would try and justify Hitler as being a hero of the Jewish cause because w/o Hitler the Jewish state of Israel would not exist. This man could be dangerous if anyone thought his reasoning is logical and unfortunately there are the extremist on the right that do.

17. Rick says

@John B So how does Bill Clinton differ from Newt Gingrich with regard to all the qualities you mentioned?

Not defending Gingrich by any means, but those who would attack him for the same things they let slide with a progressive or a Democrat are just being as obviously partisan and unprincipled as the clown who is the subject of this piece.

18. RJ says

RICK, of course you’re defending Gingrich. No one here would care about how many women he was diddling at the same time if he wasn’t campaigning on so-called family values and lecturing others on their morality. Wasn’t he one of the key Republicans calling for the impeachment of Clinton while (as we now know) he was cheating on one of his wives?

19. jomicur says

“as a psychiatrist he ought to know it” Uh, really? Psychiatry is a pseudo-science if there ever was one. At best, some patients get good advice from their shrinks. Many others end up worse than they were to begin with (witness the psychiatric quacks who’ve claimed the ability to “cure” homosexuality over the years). Asking a psychiatrist for insight into sexual psychology is like asking a member of the Flat Earth Society about geography.

20. Chris says

Wow, Really?? I’ve had more affairs than I care to admit to here. I’m sure I could have married several of those women over the years. Just because several women love you while you’re married to another woman says to me, he was CHEATING and BREAKING PROMISES to TWO women that he was supposed to love more than anyone except for God and his own children. Newt has and is going to promise us things over the next 9 or 10 months. I simply cannot believe this guy. One affair and broken marriage is one thing. You know, they got married young it was a mistake, and they grew apart. He didn’t do this ONCE, he did it TWICE.

21. says

David Ernstein, Your comments are based on what evidence regarding gay men and their infidelity and Newt, it seems you are making a huge leap with no evidence.

Rick, You state most presidents have cheated on their wives while in the White House and then mention JFK and Clinton. In addition to the two mentioned who are the others, we have heard stories about a few, DDE and FDR but who are the others that comprise the group you claim?

22. Charles Lemos says

If ever there was proof that conservatism is a mental illness, Ablow most certainly proves the absolute derangement of the American far right where any absurdity, even if obviously hypocritical, is justifiable. Newt Gingrich is a dictator waiting, how anyone can support such a vile and ethically challenged man is beyond me but what really appalls me is that he believes that as president he can disregard any Supreme Court ruling with which he disagrees. He also has stated during this campaign that he can send the capitol police to arrest any Federal judge that in his mind reaches a decision that is anti-constitutional.

23. John B. says

@Rick, you must be a mind reader to know what I think of Bill Clinton, given that I haven’t said anything about him. But why on earth should I need to, to point out what scum Gingrich is?

24. Gregv says

@Jomicur: there are a few illogical idiots in EVERY profession that exist, certainly not just in psychiatry. I sometimes marvel at the fact that people like Keith Ablow or Laura Schlessinger managed to get through graduate school. But then I also recall the odd con artist who went to university with me. One would take any essay his older sister had gotten a good grade on and get someone else to retype it with his name on it in exchange for some pizza (He didn’t know how to type). Then he’d hand it in as his own, not even having read the project he was handing in. But he was charming, charismatic and handsome, so somehow he’d get away with it every time.
    The profession of psychiatry OVERWHELMINGLY rejects a whole lot of the ideas that this Faux News quack purports to be good science.
    He’s like a geologist who graduated from Oral Roberts University thinking the earth is 4000 years old and dinosaur bones were put on earth to fool us.
    No legitimate news organization would specifically seek out commentators so opposed by the science of their own profession to act as “experts.”. This is a Faux News problem, not some kind of trend among psychiatrists.

25. Mitchell says

He’s a joke but I think “this part” and only “this part” rings true in my travels across the US:

I couldn’t agree more.

26. Gregv says

@Rick/Jason: You were obviously brought up in a sexist and homophobic household and community that fed you all kinds of lines about what me should be and what women should be, and all kinds of lies about what those wicked homosexuals do and how they think and what they want, blah, blah, blah.
    Rather than rise above that indoctrination to be your own person, you internalized the homophobia, became what they told you you were, and now project the blame for your own choices onto the “gay culture.”

I’ve been faithful to my man since the day I met him 6 years ago. I don’t do drugs. I’ve never to a sex club, and if I go to a sauna, it’s probably with my straight friends after shooting some baskets or swimming, where we chat and relax and then go get a healthy dinner.

Your projection of your shame about your own choices onto everyone but yourself is as bad as Gingrich’s blaming committed gay couples for destroying his heterosexual marriage-after-marriage-after-marriage.

As for Bill Clinton: As Brandon said, None of us made the absurd point that Lewinski’s desire to have his penis means he’s more desirable as a president. Unlike Gingrich, not only did both Clinton’s remain devoted to their commitment to each other after the scandal blew over, but also Bill Clinton never meddled in our relationships. Unlike Gingrich, he didn’t blame gay people for anything. Unlike Gingrich, Clinton didn’t stand up in congress pointing his finger at other people saying they should lose their job because of personal sexual infidelities.
    These two men’s cases are not remotely similar.

27. Duncan Osborne says

This is from a transcript of America’s Nightly Scorecard, a Fox show. Eight months ago Gingrich’s cheating could not predict how he would behave as president. I’m not aware of any data on infidelity and job performance that has been released since May 17, 2011 that would allow Ablow to make his more recent prediction.

Oh, and “Being a hypocrite is a problem,” Ablow said. Indeed. I think Mr. Ablow may have that problem as well.

May 17, 2011 Tuesday

SHOW: AMERICA`S NIGHTLY SCOREBOARD

JARRETT: You know, Dr. Keith, let me go to you because there`s something else and it`s right up your alley. You know, Gingrich has been accused of being a serial philanderer, cheated on his first wife, second wife, he`s on his third wife now and he blames it all on the American people he was working so hard for us, that that`s why he cheated on his wives. Is that too big of a skeleton in his closet?

DR. KEITH ABLOW, FOX NEWS CONTRIBUTOR: Is that too big of a skeleton in his closet? I guess that`s up to the American people but it shouldn`t be. There is absolutely no data, I`m telling you, I don`t believe that the particulars of how you behave in your marriage as to your fidelity predict your ability to lead, predict your loyalty to the country or predict anything else upon which Americans would want to vote. So, they may have opinions about it and feelings about it but it`s just that. It`s just that they`re mad at him. It has nothing to do with whether the person would make a good President.

JARRETT: Well, he was never a very — Dr. Keith, he was never a very likable guy, I must say, even his daughter said nobody would accuse him of ever being fun and sort of nice.

COLMES: If you`re busy impeaching the President for having sex and — and you do it with someone that`s not his wife and then you`re oh, oh, let me just —

(CROSSTALK)

COLMES: — you`re a values guy and you`re promoting so-called family values and you`re doing that, you do have a political problem.

CROWLEY: Well — well, here`s the bigger point.

ABLOW: Being a hypocrite is a problem.

28. Rick says

@RJ So Gingrich is a hypocrite….and Clinton was a liar. Is one supposedly better than the other?

And just for the record, Bill Clinton was the President who signed DOMA into law…..Get it? Mr. Never-saw-a-pu$$y-I-didn’t-like had the gall to sign a bill “sanctifying” marriage as being between one man and one woman…..only to change his tune once he was safely out of office and had nothing to lose politically any more by taking the positions he did.

Such a courageous and principled man, that.

@LK Bush I and Nixon were widely rumored to have had affairs with their secretaries…..Reagan seems to be the only President who did not “cheat”–of course, he was also the only one to have been divorced

29. Bear says

If I remember correctly, it’s considered unethical for psychiatrists to diagnose someone they’ve never personally met and had sessions with. Ablow’s nonsense seems to me to be crossing the line into unethical territory.

30. Rick says

@LK Forgot to mention LBJ. He was more discreet than JFK, but no less active in his pursuit of the pu$$. In fact, he fathered an illegitimate child before he became President. Look it up.

31. Dagny says

Morality is dead in America! These people will justify accepting anything just as long as it comes from one of their own. What kind of a signal are we sending to the younger generation of Americans? Newt is not a role model. He is a Fabian socialist that also happens to be a fat immoral slob. I would not vote for such a person. If that is how he treated his ex wife, what do you think he will do to Americans?

32. says

these are the same people who insist that “gays” are going to destroy America, and than “brown foreigners” are a security threat.

hey Conservative Americans, you have the fattest children in the world. you have epidemic levels of gunviolence.

death death death, and it aint from gays.

33. TJ says

Fundamental Attribution Error:

When I do it, it was just a lapse due to circumstances, for which I’m deeply sorry, because, as we all know, I am an immensely and inherently decent, righteous person. Besides, it shows how powerful and irresistible I am, so not only am I blameless, but anyone who finds me irresistible is blameless as well.

When you do it, it is because you are weak, inherently immoral, and out to destroy this country.

34. says

I’m gonna use the same argument:

This man married two women, which means he promised them to love them and be faithful to them “till death to us part”. And he didn’t keep his promise.

So, what could U.S expect from a man who can’t keep a promise?

Rick, can I say I love your comments? You have the best humour I’ve seen on my life.

35. CanadianObserver says

Hmmm, having a few entertaining thoughts on what “doctorate” he actually holds. Somehow I don’t think it is in botany (Dr. Laura anyone) — I would suspect it is more likely in English, with an emphasis on post-modernism.

36. Samuel Adams says

It is true…it’s very unusual for a millionaire to be able to purchase hotter, younger women. Purchase? I’m sorry, I meant marry. By which I mean purchase.

Also to that Rick dude…I don’t have any problem with a man who admits that he cannot be sexually, emotionally or mentally satisfied by only one woman. That’s a lot of men.
    What I do have a problem with is a man who delivers divorce papers to his cancer-stricken dying wife because he doesn’t want the baggage…and then lies about it. I think we as a society should have a problem with a man who quits when the going gets touch…trying to become president.

37. Alexx says

I think this so-called” psychologist neglected the field of abnormal psychology, because Gingrich strikes me as more of an example if Malignant Narcissism rather than “awesomeness. This guy is a cancer in the field of psychology.

Disgusting.

38. ThomT says

I love Newt. He has almost singlehandedly proven, by gaining their support, that the so-called “values voters” actually have no values by their willingly ignoring his multiple adulterous relationships. Furthermore, he has proven the anti-Washington tea party to be the fraud that many have long suspected them to be by their support and endorsement of Gingrich, the consummate and ultimate Washington insider. These people want so badly to find a candidate who the believe will beat Obama that they are willing to sell their souls to the devil.

39. Tarc says

I’m curious if someone has submitted a request for a review of his licenses. It seems to me that he’s deep into malpractice, and that needs to be addressed.

40. ajjanthony says

Previously, this guy ranted on the crumbling state of marriage in the U.S. hinting to the fact that gay marriage was the cause. Ummm…I think its folks like Newt and his hetero buddies that like to divorce and remarry and divorce and sleep around and… that are destroying marriage in this country. Now he is defending Newts slutty ways!! BTW – I cant think of any man more sexually unattractive than Newt. ICKKKKK!!!!!!!

41. Evan says

I am a psychiatrist. I checked the American Psychiatric Association membership directory and Dr A isn’t listed. However, the website for Tufts University *does* list him. You may wish to contact them and offer feedback on Dr A’s extracurricular activities and how they reflect on the university that offers him a faculty position. By the way, the American Psychiatric Association official policies oppose discrimination based on sexual orientation, including in marriage. Things have changed over the last 40 years. Oh, and the ‘men can’t be monogamous’ stuff above is not true: Some men can, some men can’t. It’s a big world.