I'm Gay | Kristy McNichol | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kristy McNichol: I'm a Lesbian

Mcnichol

Kristy McNichol, best known for her roles on Family and Empty Nest, has come out of the closet 20 years after leaving acting because she is tired of seeing kids bullied about their sexuality, People reports:

Kristy_mcnicholMcNichol, 49, who has lived with her partner Martie Allen, also 49, for the past two decades, decided to make a statement about her sexuality and share this photo because she is "approaching 50" and wants to "be open about who I am."

She "is very sad about kids being bullied," her publicist Jeff Ballard tells PEOPLE. "She hopes that coming out can help kids who need support. She would like to help others who feel different."

(h/t Boy Culture)

Comments

1. Thumbs up!

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 6, 2012 7:05:50 PM

2. Another non-surprise. I suppose it's good she's come out, though.

Posted by: justinw | Jan 6, 2012 7:08:01 PM

3. No disrespect intended, but DUH!

That said, good on ya, Kristy!

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 6, 2012 7:08:29 PM

4. For some reason, I thought she came out a long time ago.

Posted by: Tallulah | Jan 6, 2012 7:08:41 PM

5. I could've sworn she came out a while back! Really, no big shock otherwise.

Posted by: eyechart | Jan 6, 2012 7:09:20 PM

6. Most kids today won't have any idea who she is, but I used to watch her all the time in the 70s and 80s and thru the early 90s during Empty Nest.

Posted by: alan | Jan 6, 2012 7:10:42 PM

7. Yeah, I, too, was under the impression that she did something like this five or six years ago. Anyway, welcome to the club and here's your toaster!

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Jan 6, 2012 7:12:27 PM

8. Really??? I'm speechless. Who knew?

Just don't do any reality shows, Kristy. Please.

Posted by: tmj | Jan 6, 2012 7:19:45 PM

9. O-M-G! Andy you should put up a warning before you post such SHOCKING news. Seriously though gratz to Kristy for admitting she's part of the tribe.

Posted by: topdawg | Jan 6, 2012 7:20:38 PM

10. TALK ABOUT A DAY LATE & A DOLLAR SHORT.

Posted by: normadesmond | Jan 6, 2012 7:23:01 PM

11. Glad she is making a statement, but I knew this when she was on Empty Nest, and I was a kid then. People are so transparent. It's almost never a surprise anymore.

Posted by: Shannon1981 | Jan 6, 2012 7:23:02 PM

12. I'm more shocked that she's almost 50!!!!

Posted by: Chris Waddling | Jan 6, 2012 7:26:39 PM

13. If people think it's good to come out for visibility, then it's good to come out, PERIOD. Would she have had more of an impact coming out at the peak of her fame? Sure, aside from the fact that she was a teenager, lol. But so what, she's coming out now. No one is saying she deserves a medal for the bravest, most impactful coming-out in history, but it's not about that. It's a good thing. I'm happy for her and for her lesbian fans, who you know are absolutely swooning all over again.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 6, 2012 7:27:03 PM

14. Yeah, count me as one of those that thought this happened years ago. Talk about Deja Vu.

Posted by: LiamB | Jan 6, 2012 7:45:39 PM

15. I thought she was already out.... At any rate, good for her! Doubtless the pressures of staying closeted made her acting years a nightmare.... it would be good to see her perform again now that she doesn't have that hanging over her head anymore.

Posted by: JCW | Jan 6, 2012 7:53:26 PM

16. The only thing I find shocking about this story is that she has a publicist.

Posted by: Ric | Jan 6, 2012 7:53:57 PM

17. Put me in the "I'm not surprised" category, and the "I thought she came out decades ago" camp. I remember seeing her back in the day at Odyssey II drunk or high in the corner. I guess I assume someone is out if I know about them.
    Anyway, giver her her toaster and let's move along.

Posted by: E. Thor Carlson | Jan 6, 2012 7:58:36 PM

18. I too thought she came out decades ago... but WOW she is still beautiful.

Posted by: Timothy | Jan 6, 2012 8:00:03 PM

19. Be sure to get her best film, Samuel Fuller's "White Dog" on DVD

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 6, 2012 8:06:27 PM

20. Like others, I really, really thought she had come out years ago.

Meanwhile, as the only guy my age to admit to attending a Jimmy McNichol concert (a smallish gay nightclub was the venue), what about Jimmy?

Maybe we're all recalling when he came out as a lesbian. Of course I'd much rather he came as the gay-boi twin to Kristy. I mean, he performed live to his single, in an outfit that mirrored the classic John Travolta look in "Saturday Night Fever." Yeah, OK, lotsa you guys don't remember any of that, but it was sorta "hot" at the time in the way only polyester, Rayon and hair gel teamed with a modified Mullet can be. I think he also was wearing 3-inch platform weird-looking shoes.

So, anyone, any news with Jimmy?

Posted by: tzwicky | Jan 6, 2012 8:07:21 PM

21. Seems like some newspapers tried to out or a long time ago, but she never said anything.

Interestingly, Meredith Baxter played her sister

Posted by: Steve | Jan 6, 2012 8:08:06 PM

22. Bravo to McNichol-
    loved her since "Family" -back when there was good television on network television- Family had tons of gay folks writing for it, producing it and actual storylines about gay people that didn't involve interior decorators, beauticians, or pathological psycho-killers. Bravo to her!

Posted by: nick | Jan 6, 2012 8:19:32 PM

23. I loved The Pirate Movie with her and Christopher Atkins. One of my very obvious tells growing up!

Posted by: Awesome | Jan 6, 2012 8:24:18 PM

24. Dayum, she looks good and appears to have a happy smile. Good for you, Kristy.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jan 6, 2012 8:24:36 PM