Lady Gaga | News | Tim Tebow

Lady Gaga Sees 'a Champion' in Evangelical Quarterback Tim Tebow

Gaga_tebow

Lady Gaga called Tim Tebow a "champion" last night after last night's OT victory over the Steelers. Said Gaga on Twitter: "Giants fan but wow. #Tebow Thats what the f**k a champion looks like."

An athlete, perhaps. But a champion? Most "little monsters" would probably beg to differ...

Last year about this time, you may recall, Tebow was embroiled in controversy over his participation in a Super Bowl ad for the virulently anti-gay, anti-choice Evangelical group Focus on the Family.

The Denver Broncos flat-out rejected a petition in December to create an "It Gets Better" video.

Tebow has been muzzled by his publicist from answering any questions about same-sex marriage, though he is free to pray on the field and go on about his love for Jesus.

Lady Gaga will condemn the bullying that leads to LGBT suicides, but does she realize that Tim Tebow and his evangelical ilk at Focus on the Family are part of that problem?

Comments

1. Yeah honey, and you're what a LOSER looks like.

STICK A FORK IN HER.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 9, 2012 11:55:39 AM

2. lady gaga is an overrated tool. I can't stand her

Posted by: Alex | Jan 9, 2012 11:56:46 AM

3. I wouldn't really look that deep into a random Tweet about a football game.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 9, 2012 11:58:21 AM

4. Wow, Lady Gaga isn't allowed to stand up for gay rights AND love and appreciate whomever she wants.

Got that.

Check.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jan 9, 2012 12:01:52 PM

5. I dig GaGa and don't like Tebow's ridiculous displays, but seriously...it was an awesome game. I guess we're supposed to ignore reality now because it interferes with our idea that homophobes can't be good at anything, ever, even if it's totally unrelated (like football??)

Posted by: Adam | Jan 9, 2012 12:02:42 PM

6. Let me preface this by saying I am not a huge fan of Football, Tebow, or Gaga...

I really think we need to take a step back and look at the context of her tweet. I highly doubt she was speaking of Tebow in regards to his beliefs or what not. She made the statement (I am assuming here) purely based on his athletic prowess and performance during the game. So before we make snap judgments, lets take a moment and really look at what's going on.

Posted by: Charles G. | Jan 9, 2012 12:09:06 PM

7. i think we all need to realize that most straight people, including celebrities, do not follow gay news like we all do. just like we do not follow the same things they do and would be ignorant on some of those topics.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 9, 2012 12:10:07 PM

8. I'm more shocked that Lady Gaga watches football.

Posted by: endo | Jan 9, 2012 12:10:48 PM

9. Broncos just beat the Steelers in an upset yesterday to stay in the playoffs. Lady Gaga saw a "champion" in Broncos quarterback Tebow meaning that he has the makings of a Superbowl-quality quarterback. It has nothing to do with Tebow personally or LGBT people specifically. Does this site really want to replicate Fox News by generating controversy out of thin air?

Posted by: Landon | Jan 9, 2012 12:12:25 PM

10. I know what you mean, but I think it's fair to say he performed like a champion in the apolitical realm of sports without endorsing his beliefs. Though I do expect the gays (not you, Andy) who loathe her will decide they're highly offended by this so they have another reason to attack her as a false gay ally, etc. She could self-immolate in the name of gay rights and those people will still say it was a PR stunt.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 9, 2012 12:14:55 PM

11. He did a great job in the game last night. And that's what the tweet is referring to. I was rooting for the Steelers, but even I have to give him credit.

Tebow has yet to say anything homophobic or anti-gay and outside of doing an anti-abortion ad for a homophobic group... I think this site is stretching in constantly trying to paint him as a bigot. Just drop it and wait for him to say something stupid, I'm sure it will happen at some point or another.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Jan 9, 2012 12:15:10 PM

12. Sports is in no way shape or form an apolitical realm.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 9, 2012 12:19:36 PM

13. F-ing relax, people and stop queening out. Last night's OT win for Denver was AMAZING. I'm sure that's all she was referencing. She's done enough for gay rights - give her a break and STFU.

Posted by: LJames | Jan 9, 2012 12:19:49 PM

14. If I remember right, he and his mother did pro prop 8 TV commercials. Can a person be an evangelical nut job and a star athlete? I think so.

Posted by: Howard | Jan 9, 2012 12:20:11 PM

15. you guys need to chill out. it was an amazing game. the broncos upset the steelers and tebow was great. would people freak out if she tweeted about big ben and say she was anti-women?

anyways the pats will take the broncos out in the next game.

Posted by: Tony | Jan 9, 2012 12:20:59 PM

16. Considering the rape and assault charges against Rothlesberger... I think she picked right.

Tim Tebow made his arguments for why he supported his beliefs, and I respect him for those. They were quite valid. So what, he thanks Jesus for every touchdown. At least he's not beating up women or engaging in dogfights in his off-time. Which role model would you prefer? He's actually taking that LOVE message to his followers. You know, that message we wish all Reicht Wing-nuts seem to have forgotten? How about not glomming all Christians into one category?

Personally, I am a Pats fan. Go, Tom!

As for Gaga; I still don't get her or her music, other than it's the 2010 equivalent of circ. 1970's Elton John, i.e. bubble gum pop for today's masses.

Posted by: 99% | Jan 9, 2012 12:21:41 PM

17. Oh please. She made the comment about football, and you, Andy, spinned it into a comment about his character. This is not like you, but I'll give you slack since it's Monday.

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 9, 2012 12:24:50 PM

18. She is the ultimate fag hag and he is the ultimate closet case......so why should it be surprising that she would fall all over him?

Love the cognitive dissonance this will create for all the gay male diva-worshipers, though.....revealing yet again that the diva's affinity for them is entirely a figment of their imaginations, as has been demonstrated time after time with diva after diva.

You are their tools and nothing more.....they prey on your twisted tendency to live vicariously through women and use it to advance their careers; that is really all it is about....a pretty sad spectacle, all the way around.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 9, 2012 12:27:38 PM

19. And by the way, Eli Manning's performance (and Drew Brees' performance the day before) were far more impressive than Tebow's......so I doubt seriously that her salivating over Tebow is strictly about football.....for those of you trying to "find an excuse" for her....

Posted by: Rick | Jan 9, 2012 12:35:12 PM

20. Your points are well taken. I watched the game last night as well and don't have any argument with praise for Tebow as an athlete. As someone who has written extensively about Gaga and Tebow (during the Super Bowl ad controversy) I felt some irony in the strong perspectives of these two people, and thought it merited pointing out. Take from it what you will. Tebow is a talented athlete, but not imho, a role model.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Jan 9, 2012 12:36:41 PM

21. Haha, knew it wouldn't be long before Rick/Jason/Gollum showed up. This post is like catnip to him.

Posted by: endo | Jan 9, 2012 12:37:08 PM

22. How could GaGa's shocking use of a superlative for an avowed and practicing heterosexual-supremacist NOT be very offensive to a huge segment of her fan base who live their lives every day severely oppressed on Planet Heterosexual-Supremacy?

Posted by: Reverend Timmy | Jan 9, 2012 12:38:13 PM

23. Make no mistake, Tebow and his family are key players in the radical right and their agenda to create a theocracy in the United States. He is being used to put a winning face on the ugliness that is festering in the backrooms of the hate organizations like Focus on the Family that become more strident and bolder by the day. The Broncos organization and team supporters have now been turned into a virtual evangelical mob chanting in the name of Jesus. No, it's not just a football game because Tim Tebow and his followers and turned it into something much more.

Posted by: cranky1 | Jan 9, 2012 12:41:13 PM

24. I've never disagreed with Gaga before but I do on this issue. I think Tebow's "religious antics" do much more harm than good. http://wp.me/p1se8R-21m Aren't we all tired of hearing about him?

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Jan 9, 2012 12:42:52 PM

25. I don't care who the sports people worship. At all.

All I ask is they leave me alone.

Posted by: Sgt. Sausagpants | Jan 9, 2012 12:50:54 PM