Episcopal Church | Film | Gene Robinson | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Bishop Gene Robinson's Message is 'Love Free or Die': VIDEOS

Robinson

Check out these extremely moving clips from Love Free or Die, the new documentary about gay New Hampshire Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson which is premiering this week at Sundance.

LovefreeordieIn one clip, he gives a sermon to fellow clergy and volunteers on Gay Pride day before handing out water to marchers in the parade.

Says Robinson in the clip: "...it is a very holy thing that you do when you offer that cup of water. You are representing the community of Christians, and Jews, and Muslims who are 95% the source of all the oppression we LGBT people have experienced in our lives. And so when you offer a cup of water bearing the name of Christ as it says in our gospel today, you are the oppressor offering a cup of water to the oppressed. They get it. They get the act of compassion. My question is, do you get it? Do you realize the important thing that you do by giving a cup of water to those people out there who have been hurt by us, and continue to be hurt by us?"

In another clip, an incident (which I covered here in 2008) in which Robinson is heckled because he is gay by a man at an alternative service Robinson was giving at the Anglican Lambeth conference, is captured on film.

Very, very powerful stuff.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Heckler:

Director Macky Alston:

Comments

1. Religion is not the way forward, and as we try to drag it kicking and screaming into modern times, its faults and contradictions become more and more obvious.

I don't find this subject moving as much as frustrating and a bit depressing.

Posted by: chad | Jan 26, 2012 10:16:13 AM

2. You will never meet a MORE courageous and Blessed man as Bishop Gene Robinson, God Bless him and men and women of Faith who try to change the souls and minds of those who Fear rather then Love!

Posted by: aj | Jan 26, 2012 10:45:21 AM

3. I sing with the NYC Gay Men's Chorus, and he appeared with us for our holiday concerts this past December. I'm a long-time atheist, and that's not gonna change, but I found him to be an extraordinary and thoughtful man and thought his words added a lot to the program.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 26, 2012 11:08:55 AM

4. "Heretic"!! cries the straight christian dude with long hair and muscled up body....hmmm, so christian.

Posted by: nikko | Jan 26, 2012 11:09:30 AM

5. I am not a believer. I haven't been for many years. When I first came out, I was a believer. I fought tooth and nail for religion and tried to find the balance between my life and the life of Christianity... it didn't work.

I don't hate religion. I think that people having something greater to believe in, something greater than themselves and the world in which we live, can be a good thing. It can be a support system for people who are lost and don't the strength of mind to find a way on their own.

What I take issue with is the way people, churches, books, etc. take religion from the place of support and inner, personal peace, to the place of hypocrisy and blame and hate and bigotry. The place where its either their way or the Devil's highway. Religion is a powerful medium, and is more often than not, used as a tool of prejudice and control, frequently forgetting the very message it puts forth: love.

That's why I find this man so valuable, his strength and courage and openness... He shows what religion can be, working not AGAINST the people but for them. Praising the differences we all share, not condemning the unique spirit inherent to all humanity. Brilliant and I can't wait to see more.

Posted by: Patrick | Jan 26, 2012 11:37:55 AM

6. As an Atheist, I think the guy is wasting his time. I don't want support from religion. I want religion to butt the Hell out of American politics. Believe what you want about me and mine, but you can f*ck right off if you're trying to legislate based on your "personal" beliefs.

As a regular guy, good for him I appreciate his efforts and his heart is in the right place. I hope he can make some kind of difference for the better.

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Jan 26, 2012 3:02:39 PM

7. This man Robinson refused to acknowledge Jesus Christ when he gave his blessing at Obama's inauguration: He said he didn't want to "offend" other religions. More recently, he advised President Obama to hold off on supporting marriage equality for political reasons. You can't be a warrior and a coward at the same time.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 26, 2012 3:41:38 PM

8. I met him, jeez, four years ago, at a screening of For The Bible Tells Me So (documentary about conservative Christian families dealing with their gay children--he was one of the children featured).

One of the questions during the Q&A was an old man who started off not saying a lot and talking around what he was trying to say. And you could sort of feel the whole room wanting him to get to the point, and slowly coming to the horrific realization that his rambling story was about having been sexually abused by an officer of the Episcopal church seventy some odd years ago. And the first words out of Bishop Robinson's mouth were, "I'm so sorry." I don't really remember the words he said beyond that, but I still remember a tremendously profound sense of respect and compassion when he spoke to that man, when he spoke of the church and why he was in it, how he could believe in a church and a god that could let these awful things happen.

I'm not a religious person of any stripe, effectively an atheist. But Gene Robinson speaks about and represents his faith in a way that makes me want to be, in a way that I don't think anyone else I've met ever has.

Thank you for this piece, Andy.

Posted by: dex | Jan 26, 2012 3:45:00 PM

9. he has done a lot of good
    check out his it gets better video
    he pulls no punches
    i respect him

Posted by: jw | Jan 26, 2012 7:07:41 PM

10. Bishop Robinson makes me so proud of being an Episcopalian. It too the majority of Bishops to vote for his calling to the Episcopy. My own parish has become a refuge for many gays, lesbians and transgender people. A miracle has been happening in the Episcopal Church. Today, I will go to mass and I will stand beside people of all races, sexual orientations and socioeconomic classes. When the peace is shared, little old ladies think nothing of hugging the pierced and tatooed. Bishop Robinson is one of the miracles happening in the Episcopal denomination. God bless him.

Posted by: Lincoel | Jan 29, 2012 12:54:30 AM