2012 Election | Michigan | Mitt Romney | Mormon | Religion

Mitt Romney Converted Deceased Father-In-Law

Picture 31Earlier this week, Gawker's John Cook wondered whether Mitt Romney's father-in-law had been converted to Mormonism -- posthumously. Wrote Cook:

Edward Davies, Ann Romney's Welsh father, was an engineer, inventor, and entrepreneur who worked on designs for the Gemini space program and helped outfit aircraft carriers. He eventually became the mayor of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. He was also a resolute atheist who insisted that his family be raised without participating in an organized religion. "He would say: 'I'm a scientist, show me the proof'," a former co-worker told the Telegraph. Davies thought of religion as "drudgery and hogwash," according to Boston Globe, and his son Roderick told the paper that Davies "considered people who were religious to be weak in the knees."

So it must have broken his heart when, after his only daughter began dating Mormon scion Mitt Romney, she converted to his religion with the help of Mitt's father.

The conversions didn't stop there. Mitt and his father, George, convinced Anne's younger brother to join the church, and then dispatched missionaries to convert her elder brother, who was then attending school in England. The mission was successful. And after Edward died in 1992, his wife -- Anne Romney's mother -- decided she, too, would become a Latter-Day Saint.

And so Cook asked:

Mormons, of course, are known for their habit of posthumously converting dead souls. They also believe that families are reunited in eternity after death. So the incentive for Ann Romney to convert Edward Davies in death so that they may one day frolic together in the interplanetary afterlife was presumably fairly powerful. Did she posthumously baptize him, despite his belief while he lived that such a baptism and the beliefs that undergird it are pure "hogwash"?

Cook contacted the Romney campaign and the Latter-Day Saints for info. Neither organization would comment, so Cook requested that any Mormon Gawker readers who might have access to the church's baptismal records please contact him. As it turns out:

Edward Davies, Mitt Romney's militantly atheist father-in-law, was indeed posthumously converted to Mormonism by his family.

... Davies was baptized as a Mormon at a "special family meeting" 14 months after his death: "All ordinances except sealing to spouse performed in Salt Lake Temple on 19 Nov 1993 in special family meeting."

That's Mitt Romney. Republican on Earth, totalitarian in eternity.

Comments

1. I have no feelings either way on Romney's religion, but hat is HOGWASH!! Unlike sexuality, religion IS a choice. He choose to be Atheist because of his beliefs. They can't change his mind for him. What a bunch of morons.

Posted by: jeff | Jan 28, 2012 1:59:56 PM

2. Mormons are necrophiliacs.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 28, 2012 2:07:09 PM

3. If anyone from my family tries to posthumously convert me, I'll haunt them.

Posted by: Hank | Jan 28, 2012 2:16:17 PM

4. I'm not sure this breaks new ground. Romney has made no bones about being devout.

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 28, 2012 2:30:22 PM

5. There is nothing to stop Mitt's father from rejecting the baptism, but why would he? It's not easy being a dead atheist.

Posted by: Jed | Jan 28, 2012 2:34:45 PM

6. The 'Mormons are weird' strategy is bigoted. Focus on his record as governor instead.

Posted by: Max | Jan 28, 2012 2:43:51 PM

7. This is a little inflammatory. We know Mormons practice proxy baptisms, but if you don't believe in Mormonism, why would anyone care what they say in their church? If it don't count, it don't count.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Jan 28, 2012 2:45:40 PM

8. The argument is not "Mormons are weird", the argument is "Mitt Romney does not respect the rights of others to have their own religious beliefs and make their own choices."

Posted by: JD | Jan 28, 2012 2:48:34 PM

9. Yes. But still, Mormons are weird. Quite aside from his other positions, I do not want somebody with that kind of weird thinking to be President.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 28, 2012 2:55:47 PM

10. My parents converted to this silly religion over 20 years ago. It's really no crazier than other beliefs, particularly Catholic ones. It's done a great deal of harm between the LDS and Judaism. Posthumously baptizing victims of the Holocaust has really pissed that tribe off.

I always get a good laugh when I read about this stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 28, 2012 2:55:59 PM

11. Really Joe? Must be really slow today if this is the best somebody can come up with today. WHO THE F##K cares? Crazy unemployment numbers, real estate still falling and right wing nuts promoting anti gay family legislation and THIS is news?!?!?...wacky for sure but nothing to make a fuss over..

Posted by: mark | Jan 28, 2012 3:16:44 PM

12. Exactly, JD. As an atheist myself I don't believe that Romney's FIL was harmed or effected either way but it shows an appalling lack of respect for the religious beliefs and CHOICES others have made and that arrogant, self-righteous belief that YOU KNOW BETTER. (But then that's a defining characteristic of religion.)

And frankly I don't care if my attitude toward Mormons is "bigoted" or not in light of their actions in CA regarding Prop 8 or across the country and in Hawaii in several other POLITICAL initiatives regarding gay rights, blatantly flouting the separation of Church and State. (For which they should lose their tax-exempt status IMO.) Right now they're looking for understanding and sympathy for their cult in order to get Mitt Romney elected President, when they had NONE to offer the gay community just a few short years ago. To me this just proves that Karma is indeed a b*tch and if Karma needs a boost I'm happy to give it!

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 28, 2012 3:26:54 PM

13. It is my belief that this is a question that should not be raised. This is a decision their family made together and is, frankly, no one's business but theirs. If we are constantly saying that it is wrong to bring personal religious beliefs into politics then how can we possibly do the same thing and think ourselves any better than those we criticize?

Posted by: Brad Silverlight | Jan 28, 2012 3:32:16 PM

14. The last laugh is with Edward Davies. Once you are dead, you are dead. You can't be converted to anything or any religion. Davies was an Atheist and wherever he is, he is laughing his head off at the Mormon idiots.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 28, 2012 3:36:27 PM

15. yes all religions are weird

but jews and catholics don't wear magic underware or baptize the dead like mormons.

Some religions are a bit more crazy than other crazy religions

Posted by: say what | Jan 28, 2012 3:59:49 PM

16. I find the arrogance and disrespect in this practice off the charts. Frankly, as an atheist, it enfuriates me. What they are doing is creating their own post mortem version of someone's life. Why stop there. Why not create an entire history of the man (or whomever) to fit into these people's world view. Imagine if you were angry with a relative and wrote "pedophile" on their tombstone out of spite. For however long it stood, that's what people would assume.

The thought of living my life according to my own design, only to have some group of crazies wait until I've died and then "rewrite" my life creating a lasting memory of me being the exact opposite of what I had held dear and true is frightening. The legacy I leave, the ONLY thing i will leave behind is what i did, thought or created. It should be up to me, for good or bad, not up to some cult to change when I can no longer decide for myself. I find this practice horrific.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jan 28, 2012 5:10:34 PM

17. I don't care about his religion
    It's him I can't stand. Even if he was an atheist I think he'd be anti gay. Bad guy

Posted by: George M | Jan 28, 2012 5:21:47 PM

18. What a surprise he and his family would do that. Huge surprise...just huge, still crazy.

Posted by: Geoff M | Jan 28, 2012 5:24:14 PM

19. To those of you who are saying this is a private matter, it's nobody's business but the family's, I think you're missing the key point. Your religion (or lack thereof) is your business, not your family's. And just to be clear, you should all expect to be baptized into the Mormon church at some point. I do a fair amount of genealogical research, and neither I nor my family have any connection to the Mormon church. But almost every relative/ancestor I've researched going back hundreds of years has been baptized into the Mormon church posthumously due to this bizarre practice. In light of the anti gay bigotry of Mormonism, I think it's disgusting that I will someday be dragged into its weirdness and there's nothing I can do about it. Then again, I'll be dead when it happens, so at least I've got that going for me.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 28, 2012 5:41:15 PM

20. @Brad: Why shouldn't it be raised? His beliefs are disrespectful and offensive. It is really no different than someone basing their bigotry on their religion.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jan 28, 2012 5:46:51 PM

21. Jeez. Learn a little more about Mormonism AND use your heads a little. First, what Mormons do (as bizarre as it seems to the rest of us) is a ritual that they believe offers the option to the sould of a dead person to convert to Mormonism in the afterlife. Mormons believe that the offer has to be accepted before the soul becomes Mormon. Yeah, weird, I know.

If there is no afterlife, who the frack cares?

This reminds me a little of the uproar about some conservative evangelicals praying for a particular person's death. If there is a God, there's no way he/she/it would grant a prayer request like that.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 28, 2012 5:56:08 PM

22. LDS members hope that people will respect their beliefs enough to vote for one of their own, but frankly this shows how little respect they have for the beliefs of others.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jan 28, 2012 5:59:44 PM

23. Not surprising considering Romney is a bishop in the Mormon church.

Posted by: Iko | Jan 28, 2012 6:07:30 PM

24. Great point CHRISTOPHERM!!

Mormons have the retarded notion in their made up religion that only they are imbued with the authority on Earth to offer salvation.

I remember being in hospital, very-very sick, concerned doctors all around me, in a starnce city and state, got sick when I was driving across the country, and far from offering me salvation the bishop that came to me in hospital said: "I only came to visit you because your brother (my brother was a Mormon) in California called my office and asked me if I would look in on you. I despise everything you stand for!"

I won't lie. What he said to me hurt my feelings. But I was not concerned because I knew that Mormonism is not even a Christian religion, but a ridiculous scam that paid off big for Joseph Smith. I know this because in Christianity, salvation comes solely through Jesus Christ . . . if one believes in that sort of thing at all.

A certainly do not think that a greedy man like Mitt Romney is someone that Jesus Christ, a champion of the poor and disenfranchised, would ever imbue with that kind of authority, even if he was so inclined.

So, while I think Edward Davies was betrayed by his wife, daughter, and son baptizing him into this fake faith, that his rich, a**hole son in-law disrespected him, in the end, because the Mormon faith is a fake religion no real harm was done.

Posted by: RiccoRicco | Jan 28, 2012 6:28:11 PM

25. Christopherm. . If it had come up for discussion in reference to the overall religion I would agree it is a viable subject, but it came up only because this man is running for office. A presidential candidate should not be judged by his religion, but by his political history… what he has said and done in office. I can find much better reasons than this practice, or his Mormon beliefs to vote against Mitt Romney. Most of those reasons are the same ones that make me not want to vote for any of the Republican candidates.

Posted by: Brad Silverlight | Jan 28, 2012 6:31:09 PM