2012 Election | Gay Pride | Mitt Romney | News | Republican Party

Mitt Romney Disavows 2002 Pride Flyer Supporting Gay Rights

Romney_flyer

Eric Fehrnstrom, Romney's chief spokesman, tells the HuffPost that flyers claiming Mitt Romney supports Gay Pride that read "All citizens deserve equal tights, regardless of their sexual preference" were not created by Romney during his 2002 run for Governor.

"I don't know where those pink flyers came from. I was the communications director on the 2002 campaign. I don't know who distributed them ... I never saw them and I was the communications director," Fehrnstrom said in the spin room after Sunday morning's GOP presidential debate here.

Fehrnstrom said he had no idea who had distributed the flyers. "I never saw them and I never approved them. I'm not quite sure where they came from."

If the flyers look familiar, it's because they surfaced briefly during the 2008 presidential campaign as well.

Comments

1. That is why the bottom says "Paid for by the Romney for Governor Committee and the Kerry Murphy Healey Commitee"

Posted by: DjR | Jan 9, 2012 10:54:22 AM

2. Equal tights! The best typo so far this year!

Posted by: scotsyank | Jan 9, 2012 10:57:10 AM

3. Really Andy, Equal Tights? LOL

We know where your mind is.

But now that you mention it, I'm all for Gay Tights.

Posted by: Peater | Jan 9, 2012 11:00:42 AM

4. This looks like some sort of smear campaign coming from right wing teabagger types who think that sexual orientation is a "preference".

Posted by: Grady | Jan 9, 2012 11:17:22 AM

5. Romney is nothing more than an opportunistic liar. He like most of them running aren't too bright, no intellectual curiosity at all. He'll say anything to get elected. He's also now saying that he wants Roe v. Wade overturned. Good luck with the women voters, scumbag.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Jan 9, 2012 12:09:53 PM

6. Wonder why there was no disavowal when he was running for governor

Posted by: r | Jan 9, 2012 12:15:39 PM

7. Why are all of us liberals trying to prove that Romney is pro-gay? wouldn't it make sense to let the conservatives think he is anti-gay until he gets nominated?

Posted by: Alex | Jan 9, 2012 12:21:32 PM

8. Alex, I never thought for a minute that Romney is pro-gay or ever was. None of them are. You can't be if you want to be a republican nominee. He's going nowhere now that he's said he'll overturn Roe v. Wade. Not going to sit too well with women voters, a large voting block. The GOP campaign is self-destroying everytime one of these dimwitted clowns opens his mouth.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Jan 9, 2012 12:29:31 PM

9. I'm not saying I think he is pro-gay I'm saying that he has claimed he is pro-gay in the past for example:

Posted by: Daniel R | Jan 9, 2012 6:03:19 PM