2012 Election | Health | Medicine | New Hampshire | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Santorum To Mother Of Cancer Survivor: Yes, Your Son Should Pay More For Health Insurance

Picture 15
Sorry for adding to the shower of Santorum that's inundated the blog -- but before we're hit by the inevitable Santorum tsunami doomed to result from tonight's GOP debate, it's worth taking a look at this appearance by the candidate in Merrimeck this morning, during which Mr. Santorum explained to a mother why it's good and right and holy that her cancer-stricken young son should have to wrestle with prohibitively high health insurance costs his whole life. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

(HT: TPM)

Comments

1. I so hope that he surges again and becomes the nomination to the Repubes.

OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE...

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 7, 2012 7:55:26 PM

2. This is the American argument that I'm so happy to be out of. I left the USA 19 years ago, for love. It didn't last, but I stayed in Scotland. And the UK government allowed me to stay on the basis of my relationship. I'm lucky to be able to look at the 'Santorums' of this world and know, really know that this irrational fear and hate will end within my lifetime. With luck.

Posted by: scotsyank | Jan 7, 2012 7:56:52 PM

3. Santorum has no support in NH. He was being laughed at during his speech. No one took him seriously.

Posted by: Danny Tyrell | Jan 7, 2012 8:03:37 PM

4. Alan Greyson was never wrong when he said that the national GOP plan for health care is for people to get sick and die. The faster they die, the better. They think the only people worth saving are the people who can afford the treatment. They are positively evil.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 7, 2012 8:16:32 PM

5. He is wrong on so many levels, yet makes it look reasonable. Health coverage used to work we had a large enough pool, so the costs of those with serious illness are offset by those who are healthy. Obama care folks. Fronting for the Insurance Industry, he would let them only insure healthy people. The cigarette argument is misleading. Not to mention the misuse of emergency room services his approach encourages. This man disgusts me.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 7, 2012 8:33:55 PM

6. If I were President, I would outlaw sweater vests since they increase the costs of health care by making everyone sick.

Posted by: trees | Jan 7, 2012 9:10:30 PM

7. How about we increase this man's taxes so everyone can receive adequate care? I mean ultimately it's greed. He wants to pay less taxes and doesn't care who is hurt in the process. He wants to deny rights based off his obsession with gay couples. The son shouldn't, not the rest of us, be subjected to the private insurance scheme that has broken down. Those only ones who defend it are those who profit from it, misleading us away from the solution that the rest of the world and especially those above us in Healthcare have already figured out. So yes let Santorum become nominee and when he is challenged on HC let him admit he only supports the top 1% yet again.

Posted by: Redebbm | Jan 7, 2012 9:37:38 PM

8. This MFSOB is diseased, disgusting and despicable...yet he dares call himself a Christian. He better hope God has a sense of humor.

Posted by: kyle Michel Sullivan | Jan 7, 2012 10:38:47 PM

9. As I listen to the crop of Republicant candidates for president, I wonder if any of them has a heart. I turned on the debates, or rather I was channel surfing and stopped for a couple minutes at the debate, and I could only take so much of the drivel.

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 7, 2012 10:41:23 PM

10. I hear Romney talk about how we have the right to pursue happiness the way we choose. I emailed him: "Yes, we have the right to pursue happiness the way we choose. Why are you in favor of outlawing marriage equality for lesbian and gay couples? This idea of freedom is wonderful, but unfortunately you and all your party competitors do not believe in freedom for everyone in this country."

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 7, 2012 10:43:43 PM

11. We now live in a culture of cruelty thanks to Fox News and its adherents. We no longer believe in helping our fellow man. We believe in letting those who are worse off than we are or different from us die.
    America's march toward the abyss of its own making continues...

Posted by: TPOWW | Jan 7, 2012 11:41:13 PM

12. Why is it so hard for some people to grasp the concept that we all need to look out for each other? None of us are an island, what happens to my neighbor affects me too. This isn't socialism, it's having compassion for the people around you, the same sort of compassion we expect to be shown ourselves.

Posted by: Tone | Jan 8, 2012 12:50:19 AM

13. Santorum totally perverts the whole concept of insurance--people pooling together to share the risk of an adverse event, and sharing the costs of any adverse incident. Instead, Santorum wants to make people pay for adversity based on how much adversity they actually experience. The more adverse events you experience, the more you pay to insure against adverse events, whether the event is avoidable or under your control or not. Bad genes? Tough luck. Pay up.

Santorum and his wife have produced two children with significant health defects. You can be sure that these two children consumed a disproportionate share of insurance benefits, relative to other healthy families, and relative to any health insurance premiums that Santorum may have paid. By Santorum's logic, he and all of his offspring (and all of their offspring, and so on, and so on) should be forced to pay higher insurance premiums forever because they have shown a propensity to produce defective offspring. Or is he not really concerned because he (and his dependents) receives U.S.-taxpayer-subsidized healthcare because of his time served as a Congressman and Senator?

The American people should be on this coward's front lawn with torches and pitchforks until he flees the country in fear.

Posted by: American Taxpayer | Jan 8, 2012 2:58:48 AM

14. Well that sure cleared it up. Oh yes let this buffoon be the nominee! We'll have a gay ol' time.

Posted by: Paul Leary | Jan 8, 2012 8:39:24 AM

15. To hear a mans opinion of healthcare when his own two children have significant preexisting conditions is sickening! I pray that one day this man will have to suffer with cancer, aids, lupus, or MS then I would like him to repeat what he just said. What a moron!!!!

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 8, 2012 1:23:58 PM

16. so much for him being a "Christian" in a Christian Nation, eh?

What Would Jesus Charge for Healthcare?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 8, 2012 2:00:35 PM

17. I don't know Kiwi. But if Rick Santorum were to base his health care policies on what Jesus would charge, wouldn't this be establishing a theocracy or at least "mixing religion and politics?"

Just not sure what your point was in implying that there is a heavenly plan for health care....It doesn't sound like a concept you'd be comfortable with.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 8, 2012 10:26:22 PM

18. It's the strangest thing with these people. We're a "Christian nation," but that apparently doesn't extend to taking care of the sick or the poor--basic Christian charity. We the "greatest country in the world," but we should be more concerned about the welfare of the wealthy and our large multinational corporations than children dying of cancer.

Posted by: John | Jan 9, 2012 12:41:03 AM

19. Cold, cruel Republican.

Posted by: rb | Jan 9, 2012 11:11:46 AM